GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 08:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner Kites Indoor Showcase  (Read 3186 times)
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 08:02 AM »

Mike ran STACK, what does he know.  Cheesy
I'm presently running Virtual Freestyle so at least I'm moving in the right direction  Wink

Them's not what I understand as being Comètes. If you do, that's a matter for your own conscience. It's not like it's important or anything. Let's move along.

Were there any Nelsons in there BTW ? I wasn't looking out for them.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
GWTWNewb
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 07:16 PM »

What Mike runs is irrelevant - in this case you have both made a mistake.  The first step to being able to do a trick is being able to recognise it by sight.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23 AM »

The first step to being able to do a trick is being able to recognise it by sight.
Even the flyer himself says that the second "trick" wasn't a Comète so... is he/we half-right or half-wrong ? Is this "being able to do a trick..." edict of yours pass:fail or graded on a scale ?

I still like the video BTW.  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:54 AM »

What Mike runs is irrelevant - in this case you have both made a mistake.  The first step to being able to do a trick is being able to recognise it by sight.
quoted by gwtwnewb.....
he he he he he he he he he

would you like to expound on your expertise??? having a username like that does not exactly instill immediate respect as a expert in your field.....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:05 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 07:46 AM »

Ah, falling into the old "new to GWTW must be new to flying" trap.

GWTWNewb could be a 20 year veteran and still be a jerk.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 08:02 AM »

Ah, falling into the old "new to GWTW must be new to flying" trap.

GWTWNewb could be a 20 year veteran and still be a jerk.

Well, that would put him in the right place here, with the rest of us, wouldn't it? Grin

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 08:16 AM »

alright guys, hate to be the debbie downer here.  BUT!
Can we talk about the kites here please? The last thing I wanted was for this to happen.  We each have our opinions, so lets see what we saw, interpret it in however many different ways we interpret things, stick a fork in it and call it done. Hopefully we can get a vid of some serious, kick-awesome commetes indoors- that was my first time doing them indoors, let alone with a PDSUL! Just glad they worked out, for the most part. The video is a viewing experience for some, and for me, it's a learning experience too. A way to promote the kites I think are great, and become a better flyer in the process.

Now that that's done, does anyone have any questions about the indoor model of the Ocius? I'm seeing Jon wednesday and can pass along any questions and get some answers.

Darryl- sorry for the late response, but those were 50lb 20ft lines with stock bridle on the PDSUL, i think its the 4th to the bottom knot.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 09:00 AM »

Love to hear more about the Ocius indoor, other then the spreaders Jon doesn't have a whole lot of room for weight removal does he? It seems promising since you've stated the UL doesn't need weight, I'm assuming the same may be true of the indoor?

Jeez I opened a can of worms, they appeared to be comete's, my point was that trick on such old school kites was pretty impressive and goes to prove the notion that it isn't always all about the KITE. The kite may make it easier but it isn't going to make it happen

Makes me want to get out the Nik Nak again now that I have a small amount of better skills and see what it'll do.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 07:07 PM »

hi devin and great flying, wondering,, you say the spars were swapped to lighten the ul but were there any changes to the bridle or length of standoffs?? the reason i ask is ,, that the ul would be very nice if you could just swap spreaders and fly it indoors. i also flew the proto at kite party i have never just picked up the lines on a kite and felt immediately in control (at least as in control as i get). very nice kite i am seriously thinking about the ul thanx KO

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 09:42 PM »

I'd bet the Ocius would be great with 2PTs all around. only 7 grams or so saved over P90s in the spine & LEs, but subtract another dozen grams from lighter upper spreader, lighter fittings and bridle, and maybe some thinner LE cloth and reinforcements and you'd have a nice little SUL.

I'm very much looking forward to a UL version myself.

Allen, AKA kitehead
GWTWNewb
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 11:43 PM »

Even the flyer himself says that the second "trick" wasn't a Comète so... is he/we half-right or half-wrong ?

The OP said that the move on the PDSUL was a comete, and it is.  You said it wasn't a comete and you're wrong.  Of all the people I'd expect to recognise the trick, I'd hope it'd be the guy who collects Fury .85s.
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20 AM »

This is the Ocius UL being flown by a novice... I managed a couple Lzy Susan's and Turtles but The stationary camera missed most of it.  The wind was light so I didn't always sit it on the ground.  As I got close I just pulled back.  But now I wish I had landed.  I got a couple half axels.  I was pleased since I am having trouble doing one. 

However, yesterday at the same beach flying the Ocius ... I believe I got it finally.  Did six in a row to be sure.  I finally got my slack right... However I am still afraid to fully annouce it.

The important thing is... I have a Delta Drive and Widow Maker.  I started flying end of last year as the season ended.  I had been flying a Symphony 1.8 for a few weeks before I flew the Delta Drive. 

So, I guess one can say I have some high end kites...  The Ocius seems to take everything I have been trying and making it happen.  Should one spend this kind of money Huh

Absolutly !!  Don't break the bank, but save an extra week or month.  The buy something that will help...

High end kites are hand made and sewen by Americans.

Jon Trennpohl cuts and ties the knotes for bridals on the Ocius,  he cuts the carbon rods and attaches varies parts.  Measures everything exact.

The kite in my video was the proto type for the UL... How much did it cost Huh

Or how much time did he spend on designing,testing, and sewing and trimming Huh

All for me to be able to have a incrediable experience with the lines attached to my hands...

Ocius UL.wmv

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49 AM »

Love to hear more about the Ocius indoor, other then the spreaders Jon doesn't have a whole lot of room for weight removal does he? It seems promising since you've stated the UL doesn't need weight, I'm assuming the same may be true of the indoor?

Jeez I opened a can of worms, they appeared to be comete's, my point was that trick on such old school kites was pretty impressive and goes to prove the notion that it isn't always all about the KITE. The kite may make it easier but it isn't going to make it happen

Makes me want to get out the Nik Nak again now that I have a small amount of better skills and see what it'll do.

Hey Mike, yeah he said he can shave off a pretty good amount of weight still, but is concerned about losing all of it for momentum. The tail reinforcements can be shaved, all the mylar on the back can be cut down to only necessary places, there's stuff on the nose that can probably be cut down, etc. This is Jon we're talking about tho, so I have no doubt that what he'll shave off will only help the kite be even better indoors.

The Niknak is capable of a lot of cool stuff. It does take some getting used to, but it'll take anything you can dish out- its very durable. Mine just retired after about 9 or 10 years of constant wear.  Sad

KO- the spreaders are the only thing different. No standoff changes, no bridle changes. I didn't think the kite needs weight. I wouldn't be constantly rolling a kite up indoors anyways, so yeah. I'm happy with Backspins, JLs, Commetes, Snaplazys, etc. Right now the cool think I liked were the TAZ Catches. Really smack the 2nd input on the kite and it'll come right toward you. Very cool.

JOE- Nice to see you're getting on well with the UL Ocius. If you're doing lazies, now the next things are backspins!  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document