GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aaaawww crap  (Read 5620 times)
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:16 PM »

It's the World of Warcraft, my kid had similar reaction after 10,000 hours.

"Do what you like"
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 07:01 PM »

I'm not sure if BeachBum is just taking the piss out of me, or if he's serious.

No, I don't hate you whatsoever John.  Just being a dumbass as usual.

I'm just losing the will to fly and when I look through the boards, I dunno, I just kind of wonder what is missing.  Is it the game?  Then should I go fly Revs for a while? 

It just sucks.  I've flown for a while, there's still a lot I can improve, and there's this "what happened?" feeling.

Sorry for the freak out fellas.  I'll probably go into self imposed exile for that.

Oh and you're story wasn't too far from the truth Chris.
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 07:31 PM »

Dear Mr Beachbum,
You can fly with me anytime!!
More Hugs,
Melanie

Melanie in Tennessee
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 08:04 PM »

Wow Beach, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your will to fly... While I've only experienced it for very brief times in my life, I do feel for you.

Not pity, be sure of that... It's more like hearing that someone has lost a dear friend. Sad

I'm outspoken and often excitable, ultimately I've no more potential than anyone else... But I do have plenty of passion and experience to share, I'd love to bump leading edges with you sometime (in a purely platonic way of course)... Maybe we have "crossed lines" before but I don't know what face the Beachbum moniker belongs to.

You can fly (and/or crash) my stuff anytime, and please don't go into exile (self-imposed or otherwise)... I'd rather have you take the piss out of me here than see another longtime kite enthusiast become alienated from this pastime.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Nitrobex

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 08:12 PM »

Beach,
  Don't give up on kites completely, maybe put them in the closet for a bit.  But I can tell you as a long time WoW player, you will get burned on it eventually, and there's always Tuesday manint. Cool

"No it is not out of control, I am making it do those flips and turns."
Beachbum
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 10:21 PM »

Well I guess it's good to tell the story before I go.

Last night after an extremely stressful day at work I was playing the game and bored.  So I did what I usually do when I can't just go out and fly which is to make bridles/mods and check/tune/clean up my gear.  There was a point where I just stopped and there was a surge of flat out negative s#!t that went though my mind like "Why am I doing this?", and "What's the point?"  I still can't understand what brought it on.  I love tinkering with my stuff and seeing how it changes what the kite does. 

So to counter act it I decided to go out and fly before work today, and right out the door I stop and the same thing happens.  Yet this time my mind basically ran through what my day would entail, and I just lost the will.  It's funny in a way that when I was going to work I passed my beach and saw the other local flier and thought "What a good day for flying".

Instead of putting the kites in the closet I'm gonna send them out for others to fly.  If they disappear, or decide not to come back so be it.

Maybe one day when I catch another flier in somewhere I'll ask for the lines and chat it up.

Thanks for the last 22 years, and keep flying.

Britt

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 12:40 AM »

too extreme. fly if you like, don't if you like. divest your gear, lose the opportunity.

Fdeli
kitelover

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 05:46 AM »

Is it kiting that has you down and not work, or life, or Huh
Maybe you're not getting the boost, relief, distraction from kites lately. Might I suggest keeping a couple kites around. I've seen several people post here about selling all their kites, moving on to something else, then coming back later and replacing everything while lamenting their favorite kites are no longer available. Just a thought, I may have missed the point.
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 07:34 AM »

Throw them in the closet for six months and forget about them.  Then set aside a couple hours and just fly.  Don't try and perfect any trips, put a tube tail on one and fly circles for a couple hours!

For the last ten years, I have done a bicycle ride that requires a great deal of training between January and the ride in July.  By June, I am spending 20 plus hours a week on the bike. It reaches the point I hate even looking at the bikes, much less riding them.  The day after the ride, I never want to do it again.  In the next few weeks I will take a several week break and go do something else like fly a kite.

It is called burnout.  Everyone experiences it in their hobby.
quincy

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37 AM »

Flying with kids (or novice fliers) and helping them fly better (or learn to fly) always gets my juices flowing. If a passerby in the park or at a festival looks interested, I ask them if they would like to try it, especially kids. It reminds me what I love about this pastime.

Doug
Bouncing over the white clouds, killing the blues. - Roly Salley
Bob D

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 11:31 AM »

It's been a good 5 weeks or more since I've flown. Heat, a mild case of just diagnosed arthritis and a pinched nerve in my shoulder and I'm bumming.  I'll NEVER sell me kites! This too shall pass.

(One way to avoid burn out is to not be too obsessive about the time you put into it.)

Bob D.
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 12:02 PM »

quincy hit it right on for me, teaching others has really enhanced my enjoyment many times over... Ever so much more than competition did, even in it's hey day.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 04:50 PM »

Take a break...play your trumpet....or something! You know what we have here for wind...in Middle Tenn. Have not flown for weeks due to weather...heat and humidity. Unless we move...we are apt to be perpetual noobs. You have a beach...and wind..at least sometimes. I live vicariously through the Chat room and kite videos. Seeing what can be done with a kite gives me hope. Sometimes it's damn near suicidal...the time between flying and waiting to fly again. I have some nice kites...with very little airtime. Dying to fly.....I love to see all the videos of folks on this forum who can make a kite dance. The camaraderie we all share. Have met some outstanding people at the few festivals we have been to. So...change your diet...take a break...Fall is just around the corner... Smiley

ATB,
Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06 PM »

Good evening Britt,

You may be down, but you're never out. Having moved from the fabulous kite land you now occupy, I've been out of the game myself for the spring and summer so far. Kind of bums me out, but really I've been busy with house things and my wife seems to have got me interested in saltwater fish and reef husbandry. This past spring, I went to Kite Party, and it really was the spirit boost I had needed. Friendly kite fliers, contraband beverages on the beach, nice breezes. Really nice. I'm going to try to get up that way for the Labor Day "this is not a kite event" weekend, if others are going. Should be nice, and if I can get out, you should shut off the computer for a while and come out too.

Staying inside all day turns you all pasty. Go out and get a sunburn (or at least, a fogburn) every now and again.

Don't make me come up there Angry
Moonfog

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 09:46 AM »

Unless we move...we are apt to be perpetual noobs. You have a beach...and wind..at least sometimes. I live vicariously through the Chat room and kite videos. Seeing what can be done with a kite gives me hope.

+1  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document