GWTW Forum
April 21, 2014, 06:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Case cooling  (Read 2215 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 25, 2010, 02:45 PM »

My stupid PC case is way too loud and it drives me nuts.  It's an  Antec Mini P180 case, has a Cooler Master V8 sitting on the proc, which has it's own fan.

Asus Rampage II GENE    mobo and   one Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 920 2.66GHz 8MB 130W.  PNY Quadro FX 1800 PCI-E 768MB

I turn the someofabitch on and all these fans start buzzing. My Mac pro is sitting there silent except for when it's really doing some cooking. Plus it has dual procs.

The case already has a big, must be 6 inch diameter fan on the top, so I'm thinking that should be more than enough to cool things off and I could go ahead and unplug the smaller rear facing fan.  Is that a dumb idea to cut down on noise? Why can't the computer figure out when it needs to spin up the fans?  The only time I tax the processor is when doing CAD renderings.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:54 PM »

You get what you pay for.

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:08 PM »

Thanks Allen, really helpful.  Cheesy
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 04:25 PM »

Was this a home build or a production PC?  With a few exceptions, productions PCs are generally fairly quiet.

Noise can come from multiple sources.... case vibration, motor with spent bearings, interior turbulence, etc.

• Larger fans, lower RPMs.  If you need to replace the fans with higher spec fans, do so.
  • Equalize intakes and exhaust to reduce  interrior turbulence.   Tend to any interior cable management too for the same reason.
  • Isolate fan vibration from transmitting through the case by using rubber fan mounts or rubber washers (similar can be done to prevent HD vibrations from resonatiing through the case.

"Case noise" is rather nebulous, you should be able to locate the source of of pretty much any noise in your PC and decide if you can reduce or eliminate it in a cost-viable manner.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 04:47 PM »

Thanks Allen, really helpful.  Cheesy

Just seemed like something you'd say.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:28 PM »

Just go onto Craigslist and buy one of those tiny college-dorm-room-type refrigerators cheap. Shove the whole box inside, and drill a couple of holes in the side for the cords. A big enough one will some room left over for your beverage of choice. A fridge is quiet enough for ya isn't it Cheesy
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:27 PM »

Try blowing out all the fans with compressed air

If there is a buildup it can throw off the balance, make noise and lead to early bearing failure

otherwise replace the fans (most cost less than 5 bucks)

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55 AM »

if you have bearing failure maybe you should spend more than $5 on your fans.

j - info

Fdeli
rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:30 AM »

Something Old, Something New, Something..."  has your PC (case fans?)always been way to loud or did it get louder over time ?

indigo_wolf :
"Case noise" is rather nebulous, you should be able to locate the source of pretty much any noise in your PC and decide if you can reduce or eliminate it in a cost-viable manner.

ATB,
Sam

If your computer used to be quiet you will need to replace the fan that's making the noise,if it never was quiet,you will need to find a replacement fan (if possible) that better meets your needs.

As far as disconnecting a case fan...you know that you want to move heat out of your computer case. Did you try unhooking the smaller case fan ? Did unhooking the fan solve the noise problem?
It goes without saying that you don't want your computer to overheat so whatever you do keep that in mind.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 11:45 AM »

I have an Antec P180 that I built up a few years ago. It's a nice case but BIG! Each fan has a switch you can flip to turn it off. (I also have a Noctua cooling CPU cooler. I think my heat runs about 37 C so it runs pretty cool.) I see from Antec that your case also has a separate compartment for the PSU which helps with heat too. My system is pretty quiet so it might be that your bearings are bad. Antec promotes their fans as being very quiet and I've been happy with mine.

Bob D.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02 AM »

Check out www.quietpcusa.com for everything you need to build a quiet PC.

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09 AM »

You have a PC?

Huh
Albert

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:56 PM »

Check out:
www.silentpcreview.com

This is the kind of stuff these people live for. Many years ago there was a Lot of discussion about fans.

Albert
John Welden

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 05:04 PM »

You have a PC?

Huh

It's for CAD, I have no choice.

Thanks for the fan info, i'll figure it out.
John Welden

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:51 PM »

I'm a real jackass. I found a little switch box on the back of the computer and both fan switches were set on high.  Cheesy Real cheapo little switches that don't even look like anything. I'm not surprised I didn't notice them before.  Crap design.

Problem solved!  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography