GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 09:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricking the Fearless SUL Tattoo  (Read 7578 times)
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 05:46 AM »

As it says on the tin...a low wind video of the Fearless Tattoo.  I believe this is a true first with regards to this kite.  It's losing altitude and pressure like ALL kites do in this wind, and I believe I have several kites that fly as well or better (the Ghost, the Essence SUL, and even my XTs).  It's not magic after all, but all pilot dependent.  Phew.

Thanks for that.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
in.divi.dual
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:11 AM »

As it says on the tin...a low wind video of the Fearless Tattoo.  I believe this is a true first with regards to this kite.  It's losing altitude and pressure like ALL kites do in this wind, and I believe I have several kites that fly as well or better (the Ghost, the Essence SUL, and even my XTs).  It's not magic after all, but all pilot dependent.  Phew.

Now thats some funny sh!t right there Cheesy
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 09:20 AM »

Fly and let fly boys.

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40 AM »

I spend more, actually, way more than half of my time flying in UL / SUL conditions, it's the nature of the winds I have. I can tell you guys, if I'm flying the Fearless Tattoo, the wind is very light. If the wind gets consistently over about 3+ mph I put it down. If the winds are fluctuating between SUL and UL then I'll keep it out. I have a bag full of kites I'd rather fly in consistently more wind. I love this kite in very light winds, not so much if it picks up. It's lack of mass is not to my liking in more wind.

I think we all know there are many UL / SULs out there. There is a wide range of abilities these kites bring to the field, drive, what tricks they can do and the manner in which they do them, etc. I know, I have owned many and have flown many more. But I like the combination of trickability and drive of this kite in low winds. Many qualities of how a kite performs a trick are hard to qualify. So if you like how the Fearless tricks, you'll probably like the SUL / Tattoo in low winds too. If not, well there you go, there are plenty of other kites to take a look at.  I'm sure it's personal preference combined with the abilities of the kite / pilot and wind conditions too.

The Tattoo is no more "magic" than any other SUL unless, of course, it works for the pilots in the conditions they are flying in, doing the tricks they want to do. Then it very well may seem like "magic" to them.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 09:51 AM »

Fly and let fly boys.

+1
 Cheesy

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 11:22 AM »

I made a video of it recently that I thought that I'd share...
TFS

To me it looks like the SUL version has retained a lot~most of the range's trickiness but it looked quite pitchy and seemed to keen to keep rotating a little post-trick (as it were).

Nice enough though.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 11:49 AM »

I made a video of it recently that I thought that I'd share...
TFS

To me it looks like the SUL version has retained a lot~most of the range's trickiness but it looked quite pitchy and seemed to keen to keep rotating a little post-trick (as it were).

Nice enough though.

Mike.

This is true and one of the challenges of flying a pitchy SUL. When you stall the kite and release pressure on the sail it's needs to be done more carefully than with a floatier kite. On the positive side, control it and you're able to pitch it about easily, even in SUL winds.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
bigwheels
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31 PM »

must86: Glad you showed your body in the video. It shows what is causing your problems with the jl & probably the flic flack. Like Lam says, "line management" . Everything with the sul is done softly. No popping the lines. The pull through from the 1/2 lazy is a line tensioned pull through, not a full on jerk. Same with the flic flacks. Take a step back rather than pulling with your arms. It will soften the input. Hope it helps. SS
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 12:41 PM »

must86: Glad you showed your body in the video. It shows what is causing your problems with the jl & probably the flic flack. Like Lam says, "line management" . Everything with the sul is done softly. No popping the lines. The pull through from the 1/2 lazy is a line tensioned pull through, not a full on jerk. Same with the flic flacks. Take a step back rather than pulling with your arms. It will soften the input. Hope it helps. SS
Thank you for the input. Having no one around to look over my shoulder and give live suggestions, this is the next best thing. All I have learned is from videos that others have made, and peoples comments on my videos. So thanks for taking the time to watch & comment !  Smiley
~Rob.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 02:12 PM »

I think we all know there are many UL / SULs out there. There is a wide range of abilities these kites bring to the field, drive, what tricks they can do and the manner in which they do them, etc. I know, I have owned many and have flown many more. But I like the combination of trickability and drive of this kite in low winds. Many qualities of how a kite performs a trick are hard to qualify. So if you like how the Fearless tricks, you'll probably like the SUL / Tattoo in low winds too. If not, well there you go, there are plenty of other kites to take a look at.  I'm sure it's personal preference combined with the abilities of the kite / pilot and wind conditions too.

The Tattoo is no more "magic" than any other SUL unless, of course, it works for the pilots in the conditions they are flying in, doing the tricks they want to do. Then it very well may seem like "magic" to them.

to me this is an intelligent well worded comment and speaks volumes about many ul/sul kites.

Sine Metu!
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 04:16 PM »

People keep using KOOL AID and MAGIC to bring down this kite or saying its no different than other SULs. I will try again ... it's the lack of effort it takes on this kite and his other kites that make his kites a winner in my book. I have noticed the Essence SUL in a Trick Party video from a gentleman wearing a T-Shirt saying Lord of the Strings. This kite video did intrigue me ...  it really did ... in the way the pilot FLOWED through the tricks so I remain optomistic ... I already tried the GHOST ... but on this forum there is no point on bad-mouthing a kite ... you simply move on if you did not click with it after several months... I have to try one or two of these other European SULs ... this is true ...  but I remain pessimistic in their ability to exceed this kite and PROBABLY only equal it ... I think the problem is the acclimation period it takes to tune into a kite and the amount of effort and time to test each kite fairly. We are forced in some ways to only try kites available in our own backyards and this obviously creates this back and forth over the POND in this forum  ... see this video again and notice the lack of effort ... I think the Transformer SUL may exceed the Tattoo ... for me anyway ... this is just in my mind right now and will take this thought to the test next Spring when the weather warms up here in NJ-USA and the winds remain low and pleasant. ENJOY.  Wink Wink Wink
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:26 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
zippy8

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 04:20 PM »

This is true and one of the challenges of flying a pitchy SUL. When you stall the kite and release pressure on the sail it's needs to be done more carefully than with a floatier kite.
TBH I normally take it as a sign that the kite is a little underpowered or that the bridle is a smidge too heavy, depending on how you like to look at it. But this was at odds with the kite climbing quite easily when it did take the wind. It certainly didn't seem to need pumping through the sky.

Interesting wind range comments, as always  Wink

Mike.

Dolphinboy

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 08:42 PM »

TBH I normally take it as a sign that the kite is a little underpowered or that the bridle is a smidge too heavy, depending on how you like to look at it. But this was at odds with the kite climbing quite easily when it did take the wind. It certainly didn't seem to need pumping through the sky.

Mike, if your talking about how the kite acts in Rob's video, I think that's more Rob's style than the kite. When I fly mine it looks very different than Rob's style.

Rob, Bigwheels is correct about slack management. I would try adding more slack on the 1/2 Lazy rotaion also. If you watch the nose of the kite on the JLs you hit well, those nose stayed low. On the ones you missed or that barely came back to Fade, the nose was higher during the rotation. Step toward the kite during the rotation and then what Bigwheels said, try stepping back for the pull to Fade. Your not me and you have your own style, but overall I'd be moving way more than you are flying the Tattoo in those same winds. On the JLs I be stepping forward as the wind increases and lots of stepping back in the light stuff. But quite often it's forward for slack, back for taking it up.

Good luck

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
zippy8

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 09:59 PM »

Mike, if your talking about how the kite acts in Rob's video, I think that's more Rob's style than the kite. When I fly mine it looks very different than Rob's style.
Well.... possibly.... but from this video it does look to me a little different to what I've experienced in that it seems to power up to the top of the (small) window quite happily on its own then sort s l u r it's motions a little exiting a trick. Nowt major, just caught my eye.

If the claimed wind is accurate then it's quite impressive how little the flyer needs to move although, yes, I too would probably be hopping back and forth a bit more. Maybe that's my "style"  Wink

Mike.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43 AM »

Winds were claimed to be 1-3mph. At 3mph, the kite is about as powered up as I'd want to fly it. Like was stated above, once the wind goes consistantly above 3mph, it's time to look for a heavier kite. When you saw to kite dropping or stalling, the wind was next to nothing, maybe 1mph. One advantage that I have is having a long arm sweep. I'm about 6'6" tall, and a sweep of my arms is about equal to a step back, so to get the kite to power up, you might not see me step back, but rather use a smooth arm sweep (I try to be smooth, at least).
As far as any sloppiness leaving a trick, that's more than likely me, and not the kite. THe video is more an example of how the kite flies, not how well it could be tricked. Hopefully I didn't do the kite injustice from my lack of skills.

James, I'd like to thank you for your comments, too. I've been trying to bring helpful suggestions out to the field with me, and I think I have gotten better with the kite. It was a disaster when I first got it, and I got alot of helpful advice from TPatters, Kantaxel, and a couple others. You had also given me some advice a few months ago, and hopefully you could see that a little sunk in.

It may be as far away as the 2011 AKA convention that I get a chance to see a truley skilled pilot fly this kite in person to see what it can really do, but for now, the kite impresses me every time I fly it.

~Rob.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum