GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 08:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Quantum Crash  (Read 1921 times)
Whereisthewind
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 27, 2010, 06:10 PM »

Hi Forum,

First off, I am new to this forum (5min) and new to kite flying (2month now) but seriously addicted. In the bag so far are only a Quantum and an Acrobatx. I am actually up in Ontario so trying to find a place and steady wind to practice is a challenge but I manage. The Quantum is {censored} to learn tricks but with the Acrobatx I managed my first YO-YOs, 1/2 Axel, Lazy Susan, Turtle...just yesterday and today.

I thought I introduce myself to you via a video that I shot on vacation last week...don't forget, I am a newbie so don't judge the flying...just get a good laugh from the outcome...(feel free to laugh both at the video and the flying...I do!)...I apologize to all you serious folks for daring to mount a camera on a stunt kite... Grin

Here is the Youtube link:
Prism Quantum Stunt Kite Crash

Good wind, talk to you later

Christian

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:32 PM by Whereisthewind » Logged
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:49 PM »

NICE CRASH!! welcome chris and thanx, that was fun. is the field in the pic your regular spot?? if so looks like you could do worse.  ko

have fun kurt
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:02 PM »

Hi Chris,       Welcome to the forum. Where about in Ontario are you located?  I like to get together at times with other fliers in my area, and share our experiences and knowledge . I am in the Richmond hill area.
Whereisthewind

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48 PM »

NICE CRASH!! welcome chris and thanx, that was fun. is the field in the pic your regular spot?? if so looks like you could do worse.  ko

Hi Ko, thx, I found that field by accident last weekend...but as it turned out, I ran into guy there today who really knows what he is doing with a kite...he told me about this forum as he is a member here too, so here I am...
Whereisthewind

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53 PM »

Hi Chris,       Welcome to the forum. Where about in Ontario are you located?  I like to get together at times with other fliers in my area, and share our experiences and knowledge . I am in the Richmond hill area.

Hi Tempest,

I am actually in RH too...would love to share my experiences and knowledge...except I have neither! Only experience I have in crashing into palm trees and trying to stay out of the way of the RC helicopter club right next to the field I fly (near Stouffville)...I'll try to find the username of the guy I met today...very nice and helpful and quite an accomplished flier...maybe he's a better guy to talk to until I figured out what I am doing...the field we flew in today (picture) is SE corner of McCowan and Elgin Mills...maybe I run into you there some time...
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34 PM »

Welcome to the Forum!

And kiting!

Thanks for the video. Looks like fun.

I strongly disagree with the following and wouldn't want others to think they can't learn a lot with a Quantum. It's a great all around starter kite, IMHO.

The Quantum is useless to learn tricks

Allen, AKA kitehead
Whereisthewind

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:48 PM »

Welcome to the Forum!

And kiting!

Thanks for the video. Looks like fun.

I strongly disagree with the following and wouldn't want others to think they can't learn a lot with a Quantum. It's a great all around starter kite, IMHO.

The Quantum is useless to learn tricks

Allen,

I should have worded that differently...I love my Quantum, it was my first kite ever (the red one is actually the 2nd Quantum I own after a citrus) and it was the kite that got me seriously addicted...the abuse this poor kite has taken is a testimony to the build quality of Prism kites...case in point, I crashed it into everything, including palm trees, and it still looks almost new! When the wind is stronger I still take it out, put a 100ft/150# on it and just have a blast doing all the (beginner) fun stuff! It even flies if you put a digital camcorder on it...so I did not mean to knock the Quantum as I am a proud owner and still love to fly it...I however (emphasis on "I" as opposed to "a good pilot") found it very hard to get it to help me out when I tried to learn some tricks like YO-YO's etc. - again, doesn't mean it can't do it, it just means I can't do it (yet)...I just found the Acro to be a much more willing participant although I am convinced it would not have put up with the beginner abuse I put the Quantum through...again, 'useless" was entirely the wrong word to use...thanks for pointing that out
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:18 AM »

Hi Chris,
Tempest was the 'other' flier that I'm talking about earlier. Cheesy  We flown together regularly in the same field along with Wei(another flier).  We all flown the Fearless kites.  Tongue   Now we have a total of 4 fliers in our area.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Welcome to our unofficial stunt kite tricking club(GTA branch).  Cheesy

Tempest....come back soon.  We missed you.  The field is quite empty without you.  Wink  I'm still working on my 2 pt landing + other tricks.  

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:45 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52 AM »

that was awesome!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
art
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 02:36 PM »

Fun video to watch.  I have the same color Acrobatx, it really is a nice flying kite for a moderate price.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 04:11 PM »

How cool was that? Thanks

And Chris I can't talk for those guys but I bet they are not neccesarily looking to share "Past" experiences, but eager to share your current experience. They'll hold down the old story end.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:40 PM »

Hi Chris,        I have flown into the Concrete pump building twice ( embarassing  Cry  Cry ) so flying into the palm trees is no big thing, i have even flown into the Maple trees many times, in the park where i fly.   Glad to know you are in our area. For sure we will get together when i get back to Canada.       Tempest.
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 06:03 PM »

Nice video. What camera did you use?
The Quantum is capable of most tricks.  Of course, the guy I saw do them could probably fly a cement block at 2MPH with uneven lines. Grin   I am still not sure what all he adjusted, but a brand new from the bag Quantum went from being a slug, to doing flic flacs and axles with no problems.  He then went on to a series of cascades with it.
Whereisthewind

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:23 PM »

Nice video. What camera did you use?

The camera is a Kodak Playsport 1080p HD...for the video I switched it to 720p and 60fps...unfortunately, when I edited the video I lost all the high definition from the original video. The camera is also watertight up to 3mtr so I would not have minded ditching it into the ocean. The mounting is as simple as stuffing it into an empty cigarette box (fits like a glove) and putting Velcro on one side of the box...I then put Velcro on the kite near the center of gravity (you can see it in the video at about 1:56)...attached the camera and off I went...It also survived the crash without a scratch...if you are interested I can post a picture of the whole set up...
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:56 PM »

Cool, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum