GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acrobatx weights  (Read 1418 times)
Whereisthewind
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 29, 2010, 09:15 AM »

Hi,

This somewhat is a follow up on the XCELTwo post from earlier but now turns on to the Acrobatx...

Just got off the phone with the folks that sell the XCELTwo...they placed orders for them but haven't had an order filled in over a year...so no luck on a new one...anyway, they told me that is very similar to an Acrobatx...oh, wait, I do have one of those!...so no need to hunt one of those mystery kites down...although I still think the yellow XCEL is awesome looking...

Anyway, here is my Acrobatx question: The guy on the phone told me that you can "turn the Acrobatx into a real crazy trick machine by putting both weights on the trailing edge"...stupid me, forgot to ask WHERE exactly on the trailing edge to put them and how to put them on...so if you have any idea where the weights should go...

Thought I'd post this question so all Acrobatx owners could potentially benefit...unless I am the only one who has not yet put the weights there... Smiley

Thanks!

Christian
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:45 AM »

The Acrobatx is already pretty crazy trick machine. I'm not sure I would want to make it more so.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37 PM »

pretty sure they were talking about putting weights on the spine

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00 PM »

didn't the Acrobatx come with a cylindrical weight on the end of the spine?
seemed tricky enough to me
Whereisthewind
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:58 PM »

Yes, the Acrobatx comes with two removable spine weights...I was just intrigued by what the kite-guy told me about putting them "on the trailing edge"...being a newbie, I thought there is some secret out there for tuning the Acrobatx by perhaps putting them somewhere near the stand-offs - stupid really now that I think about it...guess I just have to learn to fly this thing instead of thinking that one day it will roll itself into a yo-yo because I put some weight somewhere...

Thanks all,

Christian
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:00 PM by Whereisthewind » Logged
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13 PM »

Christian,

Not stupid at all. Most weight will be used on the spine and it's usually on or near the tail. But people have tried putting weight lots of places on trick kites. I'm sure somewhere on the TE too.

If you start messing around with weights before you understand the kite you'll likely just make things worse for yourself. Some tricks are easier with added weight but overall there are no corners to be cut in the learning curve by adding weights. Weight can make a big difference in how the kite handles and tricks but it's not always a positive difference. Once you have decent control of the kite, adding / removing wieghts can help dial in the kite for your own style of flying.

James

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum