GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 11:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Shadow Bridle Adjustment  (Read 1460 times)
mcocola
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 23, 2010, 08:11 AM »

Everyone seems to be saying that the HQ Shadow needs to have its tow point much higher to lower AOA and improve low wind performance.

Does anyone have pics/illustrations of how theirs is set up?  3 Point preferably.

Let me know as mine is exhibiting all the characterisitcs that people have said can be dialed out with a bridle adjustment.

Thanks!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:58 AM »

As a quick test, wrap the upper outhauls around the upper spreader connector once and try flying the kite.

If it is still too heavy, add another wrap and test again.

Repeat until you find the number of wraps which produce the flight you like.

Now hold the line where the wraps end and unwrap the line. Measure how long the bridle line is between your fingers and the upper attachment that you wrapped.

This is the amount to shorten the bridle line.

This will also move the towpoint toward the centerline of the kite, so the kite will be spinnier.

That should get you going. You can experiment past that.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:01 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 12:25 PM »

I don't have a picture but all I did was to add a short line with knots to the leading edge, same location as the upper toe point. I then just slid the bridle over this line. With the extra knots I could then pull in the bridle at this upper toe point. I can also simply slide the bridle off and it's still connected as it was.

I've found pulling in the upper toe points really helps.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
mcocola

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:29 PM »

Ok, here is how the kite is currently set up.  I realized the last time I flew it I still had the tail weight in which could have made matters worse.

From what you see tell me what can be changed in the rigging to make it fly better in low winds.  Would changing this to 3pt help anything?

Also, what on earth is that slacked line connecting the upper outhaul and inhaul for? Forgive the ignorance.

Rigging overview:

Tow point detail:

Detail of upper outhaul and the slacked line that runs between it and the inhaul.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:57 PM »

I was out today and needed to take some pictures of a parafoil that I modified so I broke out the Shadow and took a picture. I added a line to the upper outhaul as shown:

If I remember correctly that cross line is to help prevent the bridle from becoming tangled on things like the lower spine.

I shortened the upper part of the bridle by making a knot closer to the upper leading edge and hiking the bridle up a bit. IMHO, the Shadow a too much over-steer... this helps with that. It should also make it easier to flow in lower wind. But some light (50lbs) short (50-60') line also helps.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
mcocola

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:25 PM »

As a quick test, wrap the upper outhauls around the upper spreader connector once and try flying the kite.

That should get you going. You can experiment past that.  Smiley

So I went out for another flight today.  I removed the tail weight and wound up with the upper outhauls wrapped two or three times around the upper spreader.  This certainly made things better.   

Since I will be moving the tow point forward on the kite would it be beneficial to just move the tow point forward enough to bring it to dead center of the outhauls (3 point config)?  What would be a good attachment method?
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 02:08 PM »

Hummmm?
It seems quite obvious that your stock bridle must have been quite different than the bridle on my (one of the first 5 Shadows) to arrive in the US quite a few years ago.

My Shadow came with 2 tail weights? One with a light weight plastic end piece...with a copper colored wire insert.

The other one seems to be a heavier metal one with a wire than looks almost like the "bit end" of a tungsten drill. Looking closely...I can see the marks left by a roto-tool type cutting wheel.

I too have added a small "pigtail" line at the top spreaders and my indiviual Shadow seems to pitch into and out of roll ups WITH THE TAIL WEIGHT IN!

Bottom Line: My indivual Shadow...NEEDS THE BLACK PLASTIC END CAP WITH THE COPPER COLORED WIRE TAIL WEIGHT FOR BEST ALL AROUND PERFORMANCE!
Without the weight my Shadow flight suffers and simply is quite lack luster  just "doesn't cut it!"

Speaking of "CUTTING IT?"...The best performing of the TAIL WEIGHT WIRES, APPEARS TO LOOK VERY VERY MUCH LIKE IT WAS MADE FROM A CUT OFF PIECE OF ELECTRIC WELDING ROD?

Guess I had better check the measures and take some macro photos in order to compare your HQ Shadow...with your new Shadow?
Humm? Smiley
(DON'T FORGET...however how much flight performance can change by simply changing the lengths and line dia. of your flying lines.

This change in flying lines alone... can often Cry Cheesy INSTANTLY turn that beautiful flying sport into a REAL JUNK YARD DOG!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum