GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: psycho therapy  (Read 609 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: July 29, 2010, 09:12 PM »

Was goin thru old puter and found this, posted by Elli in 04

The stock Psycho as most of you probably know is pretty extreme kite, very sensitive and fairly limited in the tricks it can do. When the wind picks up, I usually pull out the Minigem and after that go home. There are a few things that look off on the Psycho, like the bridle and the outdated trick line. I have read some reports about wonders that happen to this kite when you bring it to this decade, but was always little skeptical. On second thought, the kite does look like a miniature French kite, and since I was thinking of selling it, I gave it another shot.

So I did a few mods, mostly by gathering existing information and trying to come with a best of breed with my twist. I have to say that all these things work together. The bridle and the tail weight, for example depend a lot on each other, so I recommend an "all or nothing" approach.

What you get:
The kite is not so crazy anymore, flies like a normal kite for the most part.
The kite can turn tightly without stalling itself, and do low ground passes without getting your heart raced. Generally, flying the Psycho is not stressful as it used to be.
Standard tricks, like axle, cascade are pretty easy and can be done slowly. Fades are solid in any wind.
Newer tricks, backspin, lazy, yoyo and their combos happen, actually most of them are pretty easy comparing to other kites.
Effortless flying. In wind up to 10-12MPH you barely have to move to do most tricks. Just move your hands and wrists, and maybe walk a little to absorb slack. No frog leaps and crazy hand waving.
Good wind range. The kite can fly in its high wind range and can do most of the tricks (don't expect Jacob ladders in the middle of the window without moving in 20MPH ).
The low wind range is also better.
Superb yoyo performance. The kite rolls in a flick of the wrist (literally), from broken Jacob or a rollup pop in any altitude.
How to:
There are three things to do, like I said go for all or nothing.

Trick line
Make M trick line from bridle line. The line goes to the sail side of the standoff connector (the top). There is a leg that connects the trick line to the top of the standoff, the length is 8 CM.
The trick line pulls the wings in. After you install it, make sure that the wingspan is exactly 200 CM, the stock measurement.
Note that the trick line is a structural element, so it has to lean on the frame and not on the sail. To do that, use an FSD nock on the tip of the spine. The nock takes some space in the Velcro and there isn't enough Velcro to close on it properly. Make it shorter, grind the top of the FSD nock until it is about 0.5MM from the hole. You can do it with simple sandpaper fairly quickly, the plastic is soft and easy to sand. Other nocks will do as well, I like the FSD because the line stays in.

Very important to make the trick line sit on the spine and not lean on the sail. This makes the kite solid which is more fun to fly, and does not pull the sail (opens the Velcro in flight). Dorsal caps or a vinyl tube on the tips for nice finish is not a bad idea too.

Tail weight
10G on the end of the spine. The Velcro pocket is tight, but I was still able to squeeze steel spacers. The setup looks ideal for Marty's Velcro weights, if you do that the weight will be more backward, so you might need less.

Bridle
Bridle is simple turbo with angle of attack setup on the LE (UA in the diagram). If you want to fine tune it to your specific style, make the inhaul and yoke tunable as well (tunable: all legs are independent, meaning that if you make one leg longer it does not make another one shorter).

Distance knot to knot:
 ST (Inhaul) 59 CM
LA (Outhaul) 32CM
UA (Uphaul) 34CM - 28CM (variable)
AT (Yoke) 13 CM

The uphaul is tied to the frame in front of the upper LE connector, the outhaul is tied to the frame after the lower LE connector. I highly recommend 170# bridle. Might look like overkill for a kite this size, but considering the wind range it isn't. Also easier to work with, tune on the field and last longer. On the low nose setting, the inhaul is loose, so it has to be shortened to about 57 CM. The kite is very sensitive to inhaul length. I could not find a single inhaul configuration for all conditions.

Lines
The kite can be flown on long and short lines, but it does not like heavy weight lines. 150# has noticeable negative effect on tricks, I would say 100# is the most that you need.

Flight
The kite in this setup is very pitch sensitive, move your hands and it pancakes. Move them back and it is in a fade. Pop and you got a yoyo. Smaller pop and you have a backflip, ready for lazys.
This is something you will need to get used to, but getting used to good things is easy . The kite rolls up so well that you can do two rolls in one shot.

This weekend the kite did some awesome flapjacks. One of the nicest things about this setup is that the kite sits in nice backflip, but can also roll up fairly quickly, the best of both worlds. Backspin is pretty ordinary, just get the kite in deep fade.

The kite does not have yoyo stoppers. The lines normally stop on the upper LE connectors. The kite flies like that, but not so well. It needs LE covers and real yoyo stoppers.

Is there anything that you loose? The old trick line made the kite recover from pretty much anything, including your attempts to do tricks . The kite still recovers from most air disasters.

You definitely trade the kite's craziness for ability to do tricks. I did not like the way the kite flew stock, so I do not consider that a big loss. If you want the craziness back make the inhaul shorter.

There is also the wear factor: The trailing edge is not enforced in any way and is just a fold in the sail. Even thought the kite has a trick line, I can see this as a weak point if you will do a lot of yo yos, Jacobs, lazys and similar tricks (you would).

The Psycho is now officially promoted to the A bag (the only one I have ).

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]

Sine Metu!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:17 PM »

There is also more in the original thread if anyone is intersted, i have all of it, but the first post covers it well enough

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change