GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer SUL and Vent  (Read 2342 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: August 28, 2010, 01:48 PM »

I flew the Transformer SUL and Vent at WSIKF and thought I would share some of my impressions.

I need to spend some more time on it, but the Transformer SUL really stands out in the "does all the tricks" SUL category.  Super tricky - you really feel like you are flying the standard just in far less wind.  The first time I did a yoyo on it, I couldn't believe it.  Being an SUL, I expected it to more slowly flip for the yoyo - due to my setup and input it went around so fast and solidly ("whoa!") that I was literally shocked.  After that, I just went back to a sharp little flick like I do with the standard and was in yoyo heaven (single pop, 2 pop, multi yoyo, all easy).  I've flown the standard a ton now and all the same tricks, tracking, and feel are in the SUL as well.  It's very pitchy and also floaty at the same time.  You can take your time nice and slow or just quickly snap through combos - it does both like a champ.   Lots of different flyers were trying it out throughout the weekend - no-one wanted to hand back the lines.  I flew it from 1-6mph and it was a joy to fly in that range and I could tell that the kite would readily go much higher - 10mph if I had to guess.  It has  2pt framing with 2pt or 3pt for lower spreaders like Lams other SULs that I've flown.

I was equally impressed with the Vent - just an amazing kite with some cool Z styling (I'll post a picture at some point- I want to be sure that the graphics are finalized first).   We flew it all day in 12-20 and enjoyed every minute of it - its a perfect kite for tricks in low/medium to high wind .  Light pull, solid feel on the lines, tricks and tracks like mad just like the other Ts.  It has a 3pt frame with 3pt or 5pt lower spreaders just like his FL vented light.  On lighter wind days, the kite flys with drive in 4-5mph (I didn't try it in anything lower, but I'm confident it will go down some more).  On the top end - who knows, at 20mph it was having no issues,  so I expect it can go much higher.

The kite tricks fast or slow, but if you like to blitz through things, this kite will go as fast as you want.  My son is totally hooked on it - he loves how many tricks he can bang out per minute - action and fun in spades.

These 2 kites were a nice surprise - given their wind range, you could get the SUL and Vent and those 2 kites would cover all your needs.  One more thing - if you are a big Sea Devil fan and never completely warmed up to style of the Fearless, you might want to take a look at this kite.  Two different experienced SD flyers tried my Transformer TL (light) and within only a few minutes they said "I'm sold".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:18 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:01 PM »

Tom, did you fly the SUL when the wind was consistently low or was it fluctuating between 1-6?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:32 PM »

James,

It was pretty clean consistent ocean wind ranging from 1 to 6, not much fluctuation - so sweet.  At the time (all morning that day), everyone was flying their SULs. 

I had it out today in bumpy stuff (kite hill ranging from 0-6 or so) and I had alot of fun with it.  I flew it back to back with my Fearless SUL and the low end range seemed pretty close to call, they were both flying pretty easily.  I liked some things on one a bit better than on the other, both are world-class SULs IMO.  I am used to the F and I love its style, but Eli has taken to the T like a fish to water.  Different styles - the Fearless is super smooth and the Transformer likes to rock and roll!  Smiley

The odd part is that there is no weight on the outside spine where Lam typically puts it, I have yet to pull the spine and check inside to see what is in there, but I am very curious.

-Tom

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:50 PM »

What does the Transformer do better/differently from the Sea Devil ? It sounds like the biggest difference is the increased pace of the tricks, which doesn't sound like it's up my alley. Do I fill in my Fearless/Sea Devil flock, or get sidetracked by the Transformer ? I've learned a bunch of stuff from Lam's two older models, and it's starting to transfer back to my other kites. Do you think flying the Tranformer would have an impact on my learning curve ? (+/-)
~Rob.

tpatter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:39 PM »

What does the Transformer do better/differently from the Sea Devil ? It sounds like the biggest difference is the increased pace of the tricks, which doesn't sound like it's up my alley. Do I fill in my Fearless/Sea Devil flock, or get sidetracked by the Transformer ? I've learned a bunch of stuff from Lam's two older models, and it's starting to transfer back to my other kites. Do you think flying the Tranformer would have an impact on my learning curve ? (+/-)
~Rob.

I can't say precisely what the Transformer does better than an SD since I don't have an SD, but from what I
recall, it pulls less and tricks more readily for me.

The Transformer is super fun to fly - and it has helped me with a few tricks since I've been flying it - the rolling cascade, the backspin cascade, and the french-style flick flack (I think thats what its called - where you roll/unroll/roll/unroll).  It's not like the Fearless (and SD I imagine) doesn't do these easily, though - I just happened to learn them on my latest kite.  I think it is good to to try another kite if you are having trouble on specific trick - a different kite can sometimes give you more information to help unlock it.

I think the FL is all you really need, but variety is also nice - both kites do everything, they just have different styles like any kite does.  I'm glad I got a TL - the kite is a gas to fly and has a unique spot in the bag.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 02:47 PM »

Tom,

You and a couple others seem to be pretty informed on Lam's Transformer kite line. Am I going to the wrong website? I don't see any information about the kite. Size-sail material-frame-cost, etc. I know I can do a search, but that's it.thanks, Norm

It's still a new kite - he has nothing about it on his site yet.  The best thing is to email him with questions that you have. 

Myself and a some others have had the good fortune to be able to fly these kites with Lam at various festivals - its a real kick to see some of the cool kites and designs that he's come up with (including a vented SUL - you would have to try it to believe how sweet it is).  Also, the SUL and Vent Transformers that we were flying at WSIKF were the first ones that ha had made.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography