GWTW Forum
April 15, 2014, 09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COMETE - The THIRD KEY INPUT  (Read 1471 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« on: August 02, 2010, 08:18 AM »

Starting to Practice the COMETE and it seems the THIRD input is the key. Assuming a left/right/left/right hand input and therefore a clockwise rotation what is your recommendation on going from the down postion (after the second input) to the turtle position (after the third input). I have seen the Randolf video with the slack postion being required after each two inputs which will take some practice ... in this vein any other recommendations other than Practice,Practice,Practice in going through the THIRD input to achieve the TURTLE.

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:06 AM »

The third input should be more forceful than the second or fourth inputs. It was a key for me when I learned this trick (which took me forever I might add). You have to hit it harder to get the kite on it's back. Actually the first and third inputs require more force than inputs 2 and 4. 

Also and IMO, if you have to clutter your mind trying to figure out slack during this trick it might be best to wait a while to learn it. Slack should be second nature and intuitive at this point. Just my $.02.

Best of luck!

711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:45 AM »

Funny that, I never use a third input at all any more.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:41 PM »

Thanks Randy. Seen your video on the COMETE - of course. Very instructive -in particular the video stoppage on the four positions. I really can RELATE to your words on inputs 2 & 4 being less forceful than 1 & 3 during recent attempts. The European pilot Lars also did a video on the COMETE in which he indicated the same thing that third input was the key to break through on this TRICK. I will try the softer inputs. Seems obvious when you think about it ... but isn't that the case with every trick once you break it down ... thanks again!

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:13 PM »

one thing i've found is some kites prefer a different rhythm of input. some like two inputs, gap .. two inputs, gap .. while others respond to a more even input, input, input, input. figuring out which your kite likes while learning the trick can make things tough so as an exercise you might try both.

in my experience it's a trick which requires a TON of honing. understanding what the kite is telling you during the trick, making adjustments, and cleaning up it's appearance is a long process.

it's a fun, addictive trick which has taught me plenty about other tricks. i'm certainly no authority with it, but wanted to put those thoughts out there since it's a trick which seems as much about feel as instruction. it's not a paint by numbers trick.

Fdeli
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:44 PM »

Funny that, I never use a third input at all any more.

Comete:  1..2..4..Fivers --- repeat  Cool

My version is slightly different:  Flail, unwrap wingtip, sit in shade, drink beer --- repeat  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:46 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:02 PM »

I've been doing well by thinking of it as a 2 input trick.  Nose-forward, turtle, <brief-pause>, nose-forward, turtle (upside down), ...

The initial input to get the nose-away, I think of as a setup.  Then its just 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, all the live-long day!  Smiley

Thinking of it this way sure helped me - give it a try.

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:53 AM »

What helped me most was practicing this trick in slow motion on a UL kite.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
zippy8

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:14 AM »

What helped me most was a Fury. Not 'cos it's a Fury an' a Nirvana killer an' the bestest an'.... an'.... etc. etc. but because it's big, slow and takes large hand movements to get through the trick. I found this helped me.

Other kites are available.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RonG
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07 AM »

What helped me most was to stop trying to analyze the trick.  Seriously.  When I first learned it (7 or so years ago), there was little out there to base analysis on, and even less video of it (a few quick R-Sky clips, that was about it), and I think I was better off for it.

Breaking it down into 1st, 2nd, 3rd input etc., and thinking about exact kite positioning in each phase, is only likely to increase the amount of time it takes to learn.  Things happen too quickly, flow together too much, and require too frequent adjustment to break it down IMO.

It's right-left-right-left-right-left, and so on.  We all know the jokes about windmilling or "frog in a blender", so we have a pretty good idea what the overall body movements look like.  Put those 2 things together, and I think most people can "feel" their way through the trick than trying to be scientific about it.

Just MO, YMMV.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:16 AM by RonG » Logged
rxburner
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15 PM »

Things happen too quickly, flow together too much, and require too frequent adjustment to break it down IMO.

Randy is right on.... it happens very fast.
What helped me to make the trick start to happen is to not look directly at the kite, but to just keep it in my perifial vision and feel the hand inputs.
Rx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography