GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the advantages in using Aerostuff when comparing with Skyshark rods ?  (Read 1906 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: August 03, 2010, 08:47 AM »

Thanks...

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18 AM »

The Aerostuff has a much greater response.

comparing 5PT vs AS gold:
The aerostuff has less initial flex but a greater amount of final flex. Basically it will take a bit more to make it flex slightly, but if more force is applied the AS will flex farther than a 5PT. This makes it look like the AS is more flexible, which under many forces applied to lower spreaders it is. AS snaps back into shape far more quickly than the 5PT though, which gives it a much greater response. The combination of flex and response makes a kite using AS spreaders seem much more snappy than one without. Doing a quick snap turn the spars will flex and then return to shape very quickly, which really helps corners look crisp.
AS spars also are much more durable. In higher winds they are much less likely to explode, although it can be somewhat scary watching them as they will flex a lot. Because they are still responsive they aren't as sluggish as 5PTs are in higher winds.

The same is true comparing AS gold to nitros except the nitros are much more stiff. Still not quite as responsive though. Unless you are a very good flier who is really tuned into how a kite flies, it is difficult to tell the difference between how the different spars fly. If you only notice a small difference between 5PTs and nitro standards you probably won't be able to tell the difference switching from nitros to AS.
For all but the very top fliers, I don't think it's worth it to switch to AS spreaders. They aren't magic and will not make you a better flier.
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27 AM »

The biggest advantage is price.  An Aerostuff rod will cost from $32-$35, and a ferrule, $26-$30 Huh.  On the other hand, SS Black Diamonds --the top of the line SkyShark -- will cost about $14 for a 5 or 7 pt and I think a ferrule is maybe $3-$4 Grin Shocked.  The next is availability.  Aeros are imported and hard to find; SSharks are readily available.

I don't know what the weight and strength  comparisons are but I have seen some charts here and there concerning the various rods on the market.  I believe the SS rods compare very favorably with the Aerostuffs from the opinions I have formed.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not saying that the AS rods aren't great.  They are.  I have a Fury.85 AS and it is a wonderful kite.  It surprises me how well I fly when that kite is in the air.  The reason I have this kite is because I bought it almost-new for about half the price.

Gardner
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26 AM »

You don't need to use AS ferrules.  I've done very well with using a P series insert and a plain old solid ferrule.

And the AS Gold series have done very well by me.  I have beaten the daylights out of the kites I'm using them in, in competition and otherwise, and haven't broken one in years.  Better response than anything else I've used, and tough as nails.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27 AM »

You'll find some some spar specs (esp. deflection), as well as some random thoughts on the Viper Sports Kite (Shawn Tinkham) website under the Support link.  Not sure if a direct link would be frowned upon, but Google will get you near as quick.

ATB,
Sam
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:57 PM »

Very useful and insightful descriptions. I've always wondered the benefits of AS rods applied to lower spreaders.

How about Icones? Do they have the same assumed benefits/characteristics over SkySharks (More/Faster flex) but are in a midway mark between AS and SS in terms of flex response? Please do educate...

Thanks
Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:07 AM »

The Aerostuff has a much greater response.
What are the units of "response" ?  Wink

AS snaps back into shape far more quickly than the 5PT though
If there is ONE single thing that I like about 'Stuff over Skyshark/Avia is that when the spars are being banged around, flexed this way and that, that it appears more damped, less prone to wobbling on after the event. You can do a little bench experiment to show this. I wonder if a little video is in order.

Doing a quick snap turn the spars will flex and then return to shape very quickly, which really helps corners look crisp.
Bingo !

Quote from: lasapcheong
How about Icones?
Towards the AS's but not quite there. I'd rank them Skyshark/Avia -> Nitro/Icone -> Aerostuff. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with Skyshark/Avia.

Keep in mind though that personal preference is much more important than anything you might be able to measure. Someone sold me a 'Stuffed Cosmic 'cos they preferred the Icone version. What a weirdo.  Roll Eyes

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:33 AM »

You can do a little bench experiment to show this. I wonder if a little video is in order.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change