GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch the Sky Tonight  (Read 1508 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 03, 2010, 10:53 AM »

Seems there was a very large Solar eruption Sunday, the largest in recent years, headed directly toward us, it's due to arrive early tomorrow morning 8/4/10. Not the Doom & Gloom activity forecast to knock out the power grid but large enough that it is possible with the amount of Ion's we will be bombarded with that the Northern Lights will reach down to our Latitudes tonight & tomorrow night. Even better we have a pretty moonless night so we could be in for a treat ... or not the way these things work.

If you've never experienced Aurorae they are a sight worth seeing, especially the first time if you have no idea what they are like I had, sorry if I marginalized that experience for anybody.

If you have the opportunity to get away from the city lights during the next couple nights it might be worth a drive, sit for awhile with all the lights off, don't dink with your phone or such to let your pupils dilate fully, they are dim under the best circumstances but away from light pollution with your eyes accustomed to darkness they are spectacular. Luckily I live outside of or town so I experience the Milky Way blazing across the Summer sky every night, I get to watch from my deck.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:08 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:20 AM »

I saw them in Michigan 40 years ago, WOW, or maybe it was the punch I was given, but still WOW!

Here in Tucson, (because of all the observatories) there is a light ban, so we have very few street lights, and the ones we have are designed to shine directly down, so there is very little light pollution.

Hope to see it here too, my hot tub is a great place to star gaze
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:22 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:40 AM »

Thanks for the heads up!

Sounds like it might be time to drive out to the high desert again... since I have to travel to see the Milky Way!

But oh what a different those two hours make!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:40 PM »

Times here - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20012521-501465.html

Looks like midnight EST tonight and 1:00 AM EST tomorrow night, are the best opportunity, but the San Jose news article doesn't forecast the event this far south. But then the only time I've seen them was here in Chico, Ca during a much smaller event.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:21 PM »

There's nothing like the stars on a clear night in the rarified atmosphere up here. I live a few miles from town and it's not uncommon to come home at night to the Milky Way all ablaze.

Unfortunately, it's raining tonight.  Sad  Forecast for tomorrow is much the same.

But I can hold out some hope!  Smiley  Thanks for the heads up, Mike!

Bob
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12 PM »

Watched them one night coming back from Europe flying over the north pole at 36K ft.  Looked like were surrounded by them.

Portland TV says we may or may not be able to see them up here.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:35 AM »

Well that was a bust here in Chico, I got that original article from Fox News, I know better. Hope nobody lost any sleep, but I'll be watching tonight anyway I'm sure.

johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:50 AM »

I was in Alaska a few weeks ago and i saw them a couple times.I guess you can call them the northern lights.

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:21 PM »

I was out until about 12:15 with a telescope last night but I kept an eye out for some of them there purdy lights too. Nothing. The seeing was decent though.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:52 PM »

Looks like us sky watchers will have SOMETHING good to view this month...

The Perseid showers will hit us starting tomorrow night, until Friday!

http://bit.ly/9FC9JU
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 05:29 PM »

Well make a wish or two, good winds, tolerance, whatever suits you. I made my last one for Chris, hopefully hear tonight everything is good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document