GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 10:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes a 500 dollar kite?  (Read 14281 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 02:05 AM »

Compared to other sports & recreational activities... kiting isn't expensive. A decent mountain bike starts at $2000, a lift ticket for a few hours of skiing is ~$100, the skis or snowboard setup is $1000 or more, what do golf clubs cost ? Greens fees ? Fishing poles... boats ?  There are bigger wastes of $$$ than a beautiful kite. How about a $500 night out on the town ? Nothing to show for that the next day...
Really, kiting is cheap for the number of hours that you'll get out of a $150 or a $500 kite. If you like it, buy it... it's only money, they'll print more !

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 04:25 AM »

Two things,
1) Kite makers willing to charge that much.
2) Customers willing to pay that much.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 04:46 AM »

When I look at Mark from JoE putting a kite together on is blog I realy feel that the asking price for one of is kite is worth every penny... Smiley

The new Frank!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 04:50 AM »

personally i would rather spend 500$ on a nice single line kite...i cannot imagine what i would have to do to make a 500$ night worth it (and me remember it!).

in the kayaking world i started off small....used 12' boat from a used sports shop.....at one point i had 9 boats in my basement that covered all the genre the sport....sold half of them to purchase one boat....a composite (fiberglas) version of a plastic kayak that i already owned....the composite boat will last me a lifetime....easily fixable....always the same shape...the plastic version last about 10 years of useful life and can change shape in the sun....so i sold 5 boats  for about 500$ each to purchase one 3500$ hull....but the composite hull is going to be my lifetime boat...and is handmade....and is a much finer craft than the plastic model...

it is all about what you want to spend...and are comfortable spending....
Surly Bikes makes a thousand dollar unicycle....and sells it........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kaasplank
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 05:06 AM »

If a Synchro ever comes up when I have the funds, I'd pay $500.  Smiley

In my opinion the only kite worth that amount of money Smiley
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 05:45 AM »

Compared to other sports & recreational activities... kiting isn't expensive.

Certainly true but this doesn't address why one kite goes for $550 and another for $165. Perhaps some people are trying to make it unnecessarily expensive.  Embarrassed

How about a $500 night out on the town ? Nothing to show for that the next day...

Who can put a price on the stories you'll be telling for years about the tattoo.  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RonG
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 05:51 AM »

The kite is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it, full stop.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 06:24 AM »

The kite is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it, full stop.

Right! Same with antiques and collector item.

The new Frank!
Moonfog

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 07:10 AM »

Compared to other sports & recreational activities... kiting isn't expensive. A decent mountain bike starts at $2000, a lift ticket for a few hours of skiing is ~$100, the skis or snowboard setup is $1000 or more, what do golf clubs cost ? Greens fees ? Fishing poles... boats ?  There are bigger wastes of $$$ than a beautiful kite. How about a $500 night out on the town ? Nothing to show for that the next day...
Really, kiting is cheap for the number of hours that you'll get out of a $150 or a $500 kite. If you like it, buy it... it's only money, they'll print more !

A nice justification! Is that what you try and tell the wife?!  Wink Cheesy
monkey

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 07:22 AM »

I'd gotten the impression that Lam didn't make his own kites these days and had them sewn up by someone else, am I wrong?

Lam very definitely sews all of his kites himself. My last trip south with him he was in bridle making mode and I had bridle sections hanging all over my car for a few hours. Glad I didn't have to explain that to a cop.

"Oh him?  He's fascinated by string theory lately"

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 07:33 AM »

Lam very definitely sews all of his kites himself. My last trip south with him he was in bridle making mode and I had bridle sections hanging all over my car for a few hours.

Ah, then I acknowledge my mistake and apologise if my previous comment misled anyone.

Perhaps some people are trying to make it unnecessarily expensive.  Embarrassed

A BMK, Benson or Robertshaw goes for around $300/200. In terms of materials and construction they're as good as it gets and they're sewn by the designer.

$500 does seem like some one is trying something  Shocked
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:47 AM by inewham » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39 AM »

Ask kiteslinger....iirc he paid that for ONE of his Synchros.......

Heck...the Rev masterpieces are going for ____________$ right?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53 AM »

A BMK, Benson or Robertshaw goes for around $300/200. In terms of materials and construction they're as good as it gets and they're sewn by the designer.

Trying what? You don't have to buy them. Please don't bash the man by saying he's some how trying something. He gets what he can get for them. He loves kites and kiting and he's not getting rich but making his passion available to others.

I am happy with his kites and it makes me feel good when I buy something from him. Knowing that my money is in small way helping support the passion he puts into the design, the build and flying too.

Go up to him at the next festival you're at, talk to him and you'll see he loves this stuff and it shows in the product. Not just the quality of the kite but the quality of the flight. It is funny how many of you like to bash a product that you have never even seen, let alone tried. If you don't like it, fair enough don't buy it.

What makes a 500 dollar kite?

An E3 is a design based on "Looking good in the store" "how many of these can we sell" and "how can we make them cheap enough to so we can include a cool looking bag?" It's a business kite, a kite store kite. Can it trick? yeah it's O K if you like that sort of kite, comes with a nice bag though. If Mark put his effort into the performance of the kite instead of the shelf appeal, it would possibly be a great kite.

A Fearless is a design based on "I want to fly the best trick kite in the world and sell them to others too". It's made by the same man who designs and flies them. Lam puts many hours into the design and then every detail of the kite when he builds them too. It's also a time consuming design to sew. Look at the tight curves in the details around the eyes or the waves. Even given all that, they are still very expensive. Is it worth $500? Yeah, for many it is. I would buy a kite from Lam for 2-3 times the price of a E3 and never regret 1 cent of the money I spent. Why? Because I would fly it more, enjoy it more and get my monies worth out of it!

He also make a less expensive kite that is easier to sew. They're still not cheap but more in line with a BMK or Benson in price.

Plus
Lam's kites ROCK! End of story.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
quincy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56 AM »

Ask kiteslinger....iirc he paid that for ONE of his Synchros.......

Heck...the Rev masterpieces are going for ____________$ right?

As the owner of several Rev Masterpieces, you're paying for the quality of the build (sewn/finished by Bazzer for mine) and for the idea and visual impact of the design.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:59 AM by quincy » Logged

Doug
Bouncing over the white clouds, killing the blues. - Roly Salley
skabt

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 09:43 AM »

In asia, yes worth it, each appearance cost around 100 buck .... most flier here show the kite more then flying it ..... is like a rolex or ferrari for kite ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document