GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reframing a Silver Fox??  (Read 3066 times)
aland
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: August 04, 2010, 08:54 AM »

Hello,
I have a Silver Fox 2.3 UL which I'm enjoying very much. The one complaint is the weight, it's a tank. I live inland where the winds rarely allow me to fly it. My question(s) are: would reframing the kite to lighten it up change the way it flies, better or worse? Would it be worth it? If so, what would be the best sticks to use? I know buying a better, true UL would be the way to go but there aren't many options here to test fly other kites. Plus as I mentioned I do really like the kite.
Thanks
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03 AM »

depends on what's in the kite already.
Reframing the kite can also take away a lot of momentum with tricking, so beware of that. You can add weight, but that could potentially create oversteer if it's all in the tail.

Again, not sure what's in it, but a lot of UL's have 3pts and sticks like that in it.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
aland

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:48 AM »

It has "Dynamic" T12 and T15 which I'm not familiar with. Don't know the weight or stiffness compared to better rods.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:29 AM »

It has "Dynamic" T12 and T15 which I'm not familiar with. Don't know the weight or stiffness compared to better rods.

I think Dynamic's rod names correspond to the weight and type. T12 = tapered 12g. The Ds are straight. D12 = straight 12g etc. I haven't ever had any trouble with Dynamics but they seem springier than SS rods.

What are the frame specs on the 2.3UL? I used to have the 2.5 UL and I think the LS were T15. So you may swap out the LS with something lighter first & see what you think. It may be hard to get the weight off a SF just by reframing, I think you'd have to go with P90, P100, T10, 2PTs on the LEs and maybe T12 / 3PTs on the LS. Take a look at the weight of the spine too but I'd probably change that last.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37 AM »

T12 weigh about 12 grams

T15 weigh about 15 grams

Skyshark 3Pts weigh about 12.5 grams, 2Pts weigh about 9 grams

the cost of a new frame & LE connectors would be a significant % of the SF 2.3 UL's cost

the cheapest option might be swapping the stock LE connectors with TAPA connectors, you'd save several grams for each connector, but you'd have to re-size the holes to fit your stock spars
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:39 AM by kiten00b » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:39 AM »

Dynamic's rod names correspond to the weight and type. T12 = tapered 12g. The Ds are straight. D12 = straight 12g etc
That is correct

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Dolphinboy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:47 AM »

Good point on the LE connectors. I forgot what LE connectors the SF UL used but if they are APA or similar changing APAs to TAPAs will save about 1/2 oz alone.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27 AM »

I'd say the most bang for the buck would be to use P90s in the LEs and spine, and re-purpose the T12s for lower spreaders (if they are long enough). Lighter LE and other fittings help. A lighter upper spreader will be needed to ballance the kite. All this won't make a really light UL, but will help.

Getting the static ballance the same is a good starting point on a reframe. Hold the stock kite over your head ballanced on the spine on your finger tip. Mark the sail at the ballance point. Weight, length and position of the upper spreader is a main way to tune a kite after a reframe.

Reframing a kite can be a huge time suck, and you can end up with a kite that sucks. Be prepared to put the kite back the way you found it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
aland

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:11 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. Gives me some things to try.
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:24 PM »

Reframing a kite can be a huge time suck, and you can end up with a kite that sucks. Be prepared to put the kite back the way you found it.
Words to live by.
Wish I had known that back in the day  Roll Eyes

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 12:29 PM »

Words to live by.

True!  See the "what makes a $500 kite" thread.

6 kite tom
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:09 PM »

How does that possibly apply to this thread?

Steve ... Ancient One
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:08 PM »

How does that possibly apply to this thread?

You can spend alot of time and money trying to make a kite better - its part of what you are paying for when you buy one (I think).

6 kite tom
FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:43 PM »

Words to live by.
Wish I had known that back in the day  Roll Eyes
Agreed.  As much as I LOVE to tinker, I'm letting the wisdom of others influence my kite modifications.
Another reason this forum is great!!!
Dolphinboy

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56 PM »

I've reframed several kites and it's not always as straight forward as it seems like it will be when you 1st dive in. I eventually got them all flying well but be prepared to swap things around, change tail weights and maybe tweak the bridle a little too. This takes time but I have a better understanding of how changes affect the kite's flying / tricking. Anyway, I feel it was time well spent for the knowledge gained. Try to have fun with it and then you'll have the enjoyment in that no matter the outcome.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum