GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which 1. Rev ?/ I have a Drop Kick quad /Elliot  (Read 3701 times)
Beaufort
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 06, 2010, 02:27 PM »

I have had great fun this holiday learning the quad flying on a Drop Kick from Elliot.

It is quite twitchy though, and I would like a more precise/calm quad.
Which Revolution would you recommended for a starter but with lots of "mileage" for improving my skills?  Wink

I am fairly experienced in dual flying but new in quads  Embarrassed  I tend to like the bigger/full sized dualies rather than the smaller/faster ones...

I am getting the impression I should look for either a Rev 1.5 SLE or a Rev 1, but also it seems that the SLE is not an optimal framing for the beginner/intermediate flyer? (My typical winds are all over the place and in all forces, but medium winds, 6-15 mph, are predominant)

Also, would it make sense to look for a second hand Rev?

Thanks a lot for your help!  Tongue
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:45 PM »

The SLE version of the Rev 1.5 is significantly heavier and stiffer than other versions. It takes more wind to fly the SLE, but when it is flying the response is immediate.

Many of the Rev fliers (much better than myself) prefer the B-Series Rev 1.5 which comes with 2 sets of leading edges. As they are of different diameters, you actually get 3 frame choices:
3-wrap: low wind
4-wrap: mid wind
both nested: higher wind

In general the LE of the B-Series bends much more, absorbing the energy and then returning most of it at some later time. This provides a mushier, slower feel which is actually desired by the Revvies™ (coined on the spot by yours truly) when flying in groups. As most group flying is about "not flying" and more about moving into formation, the "Leading Edge Lag Time" helps pilots hold their position.

The B-Series are also finished by Barry "Bazzer" Poulter and have a higher degree of workmanship than the SLE version. (CORRECTION: Not true, sorry)

As far as looking for one 2nd hand, that is a choice you will have to make. I have 1 Rev 1.5 SLE and 1 Rev 1. The Rev 1 was made in 1988 and, aside from a modern, lighter bridle, is completely original. They can last a long, long time.

Good luck with your decision.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:41 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02 PM »

Great response John, but one correction.  Only the B-Series PRO is produced 100% by Bazzar, the original B-Series kites are produced and finished by Revolution.

Bazzar obviously does many Masterpiece Rev's and also does the finishing on the Rev Zen kite.

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59 PM »

Now I'm confused. Barry told me at KP8 that he did the finishing on all the B-Series as I stated above.

Is this a change since KP8 Kent?

Beaufort

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:36 PM »

Hello John!

Thanks a lot for your answer and help.

You have both the the Rev 1.5 SLE and a Rev 1; which one do you prefer? I understand your point about the "softer" B-series, adn I think that will be better for me too, but how does the Rev 1 perform in this matter?

Thank you again Wink

Thomas

The SLE version of the Rev 1.5 is significantly heavier and stiffer than other versions. It takes more wind to fly the SLE, but when it is flying the response is immediate.

Many of the Rev fliers (much better than myself) prefer the B-Series Rev 1.5 which comes with 2 sets of leading edges. As they are of different diameters, you actually get 3 frame choices:
3-wrap: low wind
4-wrap: mid wind
both nested: higher wind

In general the LE of the B-Series bends much more, absorbing the energy and then returning most of it at some later time. This provides a mushier, slower feel which is actually desired by the Revvies™ (coined on the spot by yours truly) when flying in groups. As most group flying is about "not flying" and more about moving into formation, the "Leading Edge Lag Time" helps pilots hold their position.

The B-Series are also finished by Barry "Bazzer" Poulter and have a higher degree of workmanship than the SLE version.

As far as looking for one 2nd hand, that is a choice you will have to make. I have 1 Rev 1.5 SLE and 1 Rev 1. The Rev 1 was made in 1988 and, aside from a modern, lighter bridle, is completely original. They can last a long, long time.

Good luck with your decision.  Smiley
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 06:24 AM »

Howdy. I have two B series, the std. and vented versions. I run the SLE frame on the vented and am happy with it.  On light wind days the std will do whatever required . Man its been too long since i've flown my Revs. I know what i'm doin today.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:27 AM »

A used 1.5 SLE will do you fine for a long time. You can always buy different framing options and this will save you a big bundle of cash. And that SLE rod can take some big punishment... Cheesy

"Do what you like"
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:36 PM »

I prefer the Rev 1.5 overall.

It seems to be the perfect size.

The Rev 1 is more graceful than the 1.5, at least when better fliers are on the sticks.

But I will fly the Rev 1 about 25% of the time (of flying Revs, which is 5% of my flying).

kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:45 PM »

I have several Rev Is, but it's the 1.5s that I fly most of the time
the SLE spars got used in single line kites and banner poles
they are a blunt instrument, not well suited for finesse flying, get the UL spars to start with
Beaufort

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:58 PM »

I prefer the Rev 1.5 overall.

It seems to be the perfect size.

The Rev 1 is more graceful than the 1.5, at least when better fliers are on the sticks.

But I will fly the Rev 1 about 25% of the time (of flying Revs, which is 5% of my flying).

Thanks a lot! It seems to be the  1.5 then  Smiley
Beaufort

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03 PM »

Thanks a lot everyone.  Smiley

I will be looking for a nice 1.5 then (the B series is probably out of budget right now), and maybe there is a nice used one for sale somewhere, or the pleasure of a spanking new one will tempt too much  Tongue

Thank you.
monkey

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 03:34 PM »

Now I'm confused. Barry told me at KP8 that he did the finishing on all the B-Series as I stated above.

Is this a change since KP8 Kent?

I can clarify...

The B Series are made entirely in San Diego by Rev staff.

The B Series Pros are the ones made entirely by Bazzer, including the finishing (the reinforcing on the tips, adding the endcaps) Initially, the finishing was handled y Rev but, Bazz took it over this year. I -think- Bazz is now doing all the finishing, including his nifty leading edge refinements on most, if not all of the  Masterpiece kites now as well.

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
rxburner
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 02:31 PM »

Rev 1.5 any serries... with a variety of rods is the way to go..... the Original SLE (Super Leading Edge) Rods are great for staking out tomato plants. Most 1.5's come with a 3 wrap frame now days. Adding 4 wrap and Race Rod frame make your 1.5 a very versatil kite.
Rx
Beaufort

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 12:37 PM »

Thanks a lot, RX!  Wink
kitenut75
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44 AM »

Recently I just slid in a set of Zen rods into my Rev 1, it flies differently now. And it takes to the air in as little as the breeze generated by a butterfly's flutter (ok I may have exaggerated). But still, it offered a whole new dimension in terms of lower wind range and with the zen rods, I've embarked on a journey of rediscovery of my Rev 1.

That being said, when we do routines (or try to), our weapon of choice are the 1.5 sized Revs, more often than not it is the JB Pros that come out of the bags.  Wink

It would be interesting to see a routine done with Super Blasts though  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:28 PM by kitenut75 » Logged

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document