GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take to fly like this ???  (Read 3079 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 05:59 PM »

10,000 hours is quite a long time... I hope you're not in a hurry Cids Wink

Say 2 hrs. per day...10,000 hrs. = 5000 days = 13.69863 years  Cry Cry Cry

Man...This is depressing.  Huh

I hope my knee can last this long.  I think I need 3 or 4 knee replacements and finally fly like that.  Wink

Hurry...Me. No.  Lips sealed

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
cids

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 06:08 PM »

About 3 minutes and 25 seconds..

Wrong forum !
Are you talk about premature ejaculation ?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 06:40 PM »

About 3 minutes and 25 seconds..

Wrong forum !
Are you talk about premature ejaculation ?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

No... that is how long it would take to fly like that.....

Rx
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 06:50 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy    Roll Eyes
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 07:27 PM »

As with any physical skill there is an aptitude factor. Some bodies (and brains) are just better suited to certain activities than others.

Teenagers tend to pick things up faster than 40 year olds. Definitely true with sport kite flying.

Most of the best trick flyers I know are generally athletic types. Quick rfeflexes, good hand eye coordination, fast on their feet. Not jocks nescesarily but people more likely to catch something thrown at them (or get out of the way) than people like me.

ALL of the best flyers I know have at one point or another spent a ridiculous amount of time on the field.

A lot of people can get to the point where they can do all the tricks in that video. Certainly not everybody. Being able to do a list of tricks is only part of being able to fly like that video. The control, precision & style exhibited reflect a lot of time not just thinking about tricks.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 09:49 PM »

it depending who teach you and teach you the right way or not, other wise will take you for ever my friend. Come to BC for Training Smiley or Long Beach coming up in two week Wink

See you there Smiley
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 10:19 PM »

I have to agree with Allen, and and sadly inform you there is no such measure of time. If you desire it, if you invest enough of your life, if you are "the one", then one day you will be the greatest kite flier of all times. Or not.

Early in my interest in this hobby, I remarked to one of my personal mentors that in the 60's, hundreds of thousands of guitars were sold, but only one was sold to Carlos Santana. He chuckled and seemed to like the fact that I had "got it", and had reached that place where I quit trying to learn anything except how to be satisfied with who I was and what I was destined to become. I knew I wasn't going to be great, or win any competitions, but I could be happy with myself regardless.

I like your enthusiasm, and wouldn't ever want to diminish it. By all and any means, follow your dreams and enjoy where they take you. Meet up with Lam if you ever have a chance. He's probably one of the best all around kite guys you'll ever meet if you do, and rumor is that he's a pretty good chef too.
cids

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 03:43 AM »

it depending who teach you and teach you the right way or not, other wise will take you for ever my friend. Come to BC for Training Smiley or Long Beach coming up in two week Wink

See you there Smiley

Meet up with Lam if you ever have a chance. He's probably one of the best all around kite guys you'll ever meet if you do, and rumor is that he's a pretty good chef too.

Like learning to drive or race from Hamilton, Alonso, Messa, Weber, Button... Tongue
Training sessions with the 'Master'......This is a great idea.

Come to BC for Training Smiley

or we can ship you here to Toronto... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:44 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
cids

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 03:48 AM »

10,000 hours is quite a long time... I hope you're not in a hurry Cids Wink

Say 2 hrs. per day...10,000 hrs. = 5000 days = 13.69863 years  Cry Cry Cry

Man...This is depressing.  Huh

I hope my knee can last this long.  I think I need 3 or 4 knee replacements and finally fly like that.  Wink

Hurry...Me. No.  Lips sealed

Glucosamine anyone.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  This is getting expensive. Cry

Skywatch 1 wind meter
flat6nut

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 12:42 PM »

I am glad that I am new to this hobby. For me the fun is in the learning. Every time I fly I am better controlled than the last time. Now if I already knew everything and had nothing else to learn...it would not be as rewarding mentally.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 03:31 PM »

I am glad that I am new to this hobby. For me the fun is in the learning. Every time I fly I am better controlled than the last time. Now if I already knew everything and had nothing else to learn...it would not be as rewarding mentally.

One of te great things about an activity like this, there's always more to learn.

It's like playing a guitar, you may have known all the chords for years but the music keeps getting better the longer you play it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 03:44 PM »

Flying weekly with Devin,Jon,Spencer,Steve... all excellent pilots and champs.  Makes me try even harder.  As difficult as it seems at times.  I find pleasure in improving... I made a vow to myself to practice and practice.  I started last year and could hardly land by October's end.  I now can land and span stall and lazy susan's as well as turtles... Axels I am having problem but last year it was landing.. So some times they look good and other times I repeat the same dumb move and fail... It is difficult to anticipate a time when I can say I am as good as Devin or Jon but that is not going to happen... That does not mean one day I can't do an axel or comete' because one day I will... It will happen because of people like Jon,Devin,Ken,Dodd and other's who have cut through the path of difficulty and have proven It Can Be Done...  These guys have set high standards for all of us to try and achieve.  They shown what it's like to fly like birds and float like clouds.  The impossible possible.

How long will it take me to fly like these guys. Maybe never, but I want to make sure I enjoy the trip trying...  That just floating and moving left to the right and landing with grace and take-offs and slides are o.k.  That allowing my kite to gently play in the sky while my ears are filled with music is O.K.

I try and spend a lot of time practicing.  But hardly spend time playing...
Let me put it his way...

How much time do we spend pulling "tails" Huh  Tails look great and help others watching to enjoy the view of sky writing... If you "youtube Ray Bethel a 89 year old man flying three kites at once.  He pulls tails and puts on a great show... he's the best..

I guess doing tricks is one thing and don't get me wrong I am going to keep trying and trying to get good.  However, what would your next fly day be like with a nice set of color tails  spinning against the water or sunset....

So in regards to how long does it take.... Kites will always give the  adrenal glands a run for their money...  Daily improvements will get a  blast from those little glands.  It should be a daily experience finding out your one of the guys in the video...  Your flying and having fun... Pull Tails..   I bet if a bunch of guys set up cameras as they flew Tails they'd be surprised at how good it looks...  It should only take that first flight to realize this sport is for you..  You don't have to be great to pull tails and enjoy... If you don't believe me.  Pull tails and look at those people who never have flown a kite watching you... They are wondering " How long does it take to fly like that "..  Wink

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
lylenc

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25 AM »

There isn't enough time or motivation for me to fly like that skill level. I've reached my desired level without turning kiting into work. As long as kiting makes me happy and I'm having fun, I do "fly" like that zen level ... just not as many perfected tricks in my bag.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:32 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document