GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take to fly like this ???  (Read 2834 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: August 07, 2010, 09:09 AM »

TNT Berck "Uncuted Edition"

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:24 AM »

Some people can get there in a few years, but in general I'd say most fliers never get as good as Mathias, regardless of how long they fly.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:28 AM »

It's not about time, but natural ability, some have it others work hard but never get there, unfortunately I'm in the later group!
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:49 AM »

.....but I thought the F kite flew like that straight out of the bag!..... all you need to do is hold on to the strings!  Wink Grin ...only kidding.

Seriously, it all depends, I've been flying 3 years and it's just starting to come together on a good day ( nowhere near that standard though!) Another guy who posts on the UK forums started the same time as me and is way , way better. As Craig says, it's down to natural ability...or my case lack of it!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03 AM »

10,000 hours.  Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

6 kite tom
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:05 AM »

Ok, this is the music major in me talking, so hear me out on this one.  Cheesy

Natural ability if only a little part of it. In my opinion, it's HOW you practice flying and how "smart' you practice.
For example, if you learn tricking before control, you're hosed.  If you learn sharp corners, controlled landings and stalls, etc, you can begin to progress faster now that you've given yourself a solid, 'smart' foundation to build upon. It's like my professor said in music theory this year, you can play the concerto unless you've practiced the scales that go with it. So practice the scales and THEN the concerto.

translation to kiting- You can't fly well until you've worked on the basics to progress upon.

in terms of smart practice- lets say you're doing the commete practice. You cant necessarily progress on the trick by pulling random lines and hope it ends up right. Thats senseless and a waste of time. If you break what you're doing down and isolate the parts of the tricks you need to work on, then you're getting more done faster. Thats the only way I practice, and I see improvement often when I'm isolating things like that. I always break down things that need isolation, and always start and end practice sessions with precision, slides, and stalls- back to basics. I've seen faster improvement in myself then practicing senselessly like I used to, and I have music to thank for it (considering I applied the concepts I learned from there to kiting).

Again, just my opinion, but I'll stick by it.  Wink

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
kiten00b
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:17 AM »

It's not about time, but natural ability
location helps too
a beach with smooth winds and other/more advanced fliers to learn from will improve your skills quicker than flying by yourself in turbulent/gusty inland winds
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:55 AM »

location helps too
a beach with smooth winds and other/more advanced fliers to learn from will improve your skills quicker than flying by yourself in turbulent/gusty inland winds

From a novice perspective this is a key point.  I have learned more in a four hour session with 8-10 mph winds off the water then in 40 hours trying to compensate for gusty (3-18 mph) and turbulent (+/- 90 degrees) winds.  May was great this year.  June/July I had a difficult time maintaining what I learned.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:24 PM »

Hey CIDS...

One of my favorite videos. Some real clean flying, and nice and smooth. Like has been mentioned, depends on alot of factors. Your winds, natural coordination, determination, whether or not you have other pilots to learn from... etc.
From my point of view, not being too naturally coordinated, it's been a struggle to get to where I am, and I still have twice as far to go. So for me... 10 years from the point that I determined that I wanted to learn how to trick. I've spent 500+ hours per year since I got that crazy idea in my head, so I'm thinking that after 5,000 hours of practice, that I might come close to that level of flying.

BTW... ever notice how a great musician can make just playing scales sound good ?  Cheesy

~Rob.

skabt

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 12:30 PM »

understand your tool make huge different too ...
wind, line, kite and bla Smiley
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 04:47 PM »

Natural ability if only a little part of it. In my opinion, it's HOW you practice flying and how "smart' you practice.
For example, if you learn tricking before control, you're hosed.  If you learn sharp corners, controlled landings and stalls, etc, you can begin to progress faster now that you've given yourself a solid, 'smart' foundation to build upon. It's like my professor said in music theory this year, you can play the concerto unless you've practiced the scales that go with it. So practice the scales and THEN the concerto.

translation to kiting- You can't fly well until you've worked on the basics to progress upon.

in terms of smart practice- lets say you're doing the commete practice. You cant necessarily progress on the trick by pulling random lines and hope it ends up right. Thats senseless and a waste of time. If you break what you're doing down and isolate the parts of the tricks you need to work on, then you're getting more done faster. Thats the only way I practice, and I see improvement often when I'm isolating things like that. I always break down things that need isolation, and always start and end practice sessions with precision, slides, and stalls- back to basics. I've seen faster improvement in myself then practicing senselessly like I used to, and I have music to thank for it (considering I applied the concepts I learned from there to kiting).

This is one superb quality advice. Thanks... Smiley

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 05:05 PM »

One thing my father taught me was practice doesn't always equal perfect, but perfect practice can

And on TPatters 10,000 hours, I was chatting to a friend last night about this and I did a back of the envelope calc onmy kite flying, and it looks like I'm only 10-15% of the way there...

10,000 hours is quite a long time... I hope you're not in a hurry Cids  Wink

WinterDaze AoF
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 05:17 PM »

I met a young flyer in Queensland earlier this year.  He is self taught (watches videos, but has no-one to fly with) and has been flying around 9 months.  He is well on the way to being this good.

Raw talent beats hours of practice anytime!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 05:37 PM »

I hate raw talent... Cry

WinterDaze AoF
rxburner
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 05:53 PM »

How long does it take to fly like this?

About 3 minutes and 25 seconds....

ta dump
Rx
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:55 PM by rxburner » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography