GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tilley and Other Sun Protection Hats  (Read 2878 times)
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« on: August 07, 2010, 04:35 PM »

I know some of you swear by your Tilley. Others like other sun protection. I now have to get a good sun-protecting hat and had my daughter pick up a few at REI last night before coming home for a visit.

I based the size on measurement and the manufacturers' corresponding size. Being used to a ball cap (really a GWTW cap  Wink ), most of them feel snug. I'm concerned that they'll be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. So, my questions are
- will they stretch over time?
- will they shrink after they get wet?
- are yours' snug or loose enough so you don't feel them?
- I have samples of Tilley AirFlo, REI Vented Explorer, REI Sahara Outback. Any others you swear by?

I have to find something fairly quickly as I leave Sat for WSIKF, so thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Bob
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:43 PM »

Put the Tilley over your knee and give it a good stretch. It'll be much more comfy then. It won't shrink but you'll need to stretch it back out after every washing.
Can't tell ya anything about the others.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:25 PM »

1. Don't buy cheap imitations. All 3 of my Tilleys are still as good as the day I bought them.
2. Go to the store yourself and make sure you work with someone who knows what they are talking about, particularly regarding fit, when buying a Tilley. By being there you can try on different sizes and pick the one that fits best.
3. Failing #2 above, go here:

http://www.tilley.com/hat_thumbnail.asp?catId=1&gender=&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&hat_catId=19

Best of luck!

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:48 PM »

Tilley's are meant to ride a little loose and sit lower on your head. You are supposed to be able to put 2 fingers between your head and the hat.

The hat can be even a bit looser as there are 2 straps (1 adjustable continuous really). The front strap goes under your chin as normal, and the 2nd strap goes under the small indent at the base of your skull. This 2nd strap is what keeps the hat on when strong wind comes from the rear.

I would suggest an AirFlo model of some sort. Mine is the LTM8.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=13&gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=LTM8

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:18 PM »

Bob,

I followed Tilley's sizing instructions and they were good, but I would go Two sizes larger next time. Not that it doesn't fit well, I'd just like it to be a bit larger.

Tilley recommends that you measure your head and then order one size larger.

No experience with anything else other than some of the OR Sombrero series. I like those sized larger too.

Sunday Afternoons makes some very good sun hats that are widely available:

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/store/mens-outdoor-active-hats/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:31 PM by JimB » Logged
flat6nut
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:52 PM »

I just buy the cheapy straw stuff. When they get so bad that my wife cuts them up with scissors...I buy another.

Michael
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:09 PM »

Thanks for all your replies.

Michael, I needed to get a good quality hat so went with the Tilley which has a UPF 50+ rating. Docs orders.

JC, Randy, Jim, you're right on from what I can tell so far. No store anywhere close to me had the sizes so I ordered a couple sizes online from REI. I did choose the one that was two sizes larger than the measured size - it felt the best by far. The rear strap is perfect for flying when your back is to the wind. I could only get the LTM6 but the venting seems just right. They do talk about stretching it if it's a bit snug but I don't think I'll have to do that.

Played golf in it last Thurs evening and it only blew off once (cut me a break, I only had it for about an hour at that point  Wink  ). Flying in it today was great. Couldn't ask for a more comfortable or stable hat.

That said, I did keep an OR Sombriolet as well that my wife found on sale. Also wide brims and vent strips in the crown. Probably keep one in the car.

Now if anyone would like a good write-up about sunscreens that I got from my doc, let me know. I scanned it to send to my kids and would be happy to forward it to anyone else.

Bob
GWTWNewb
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00 PM »

If you wear a Tilley (or similar), you should never ever complain about kiting not gaining street cred or mainstream acceptance.  Cheesy
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:42 PM »

If you wear a Tilley (or similar), you should never ever complain about kiting not gaining street cred or mainstream acceptance.  Cheesy

Perhaps they need to come out with a beenie!  Smiley  Maybe even an airflow model.

It takes a village - thats one of the things I like about kiting.  Seems like every flyer I meet is a true individual and always genuinely interesting people. 

I have noticed that several of the naturally gifted flyers that I know are also musicians.  Many others are in technical fields - maybe there is a correlation.

Anyhow, I may have no street cred, but there is no way I would ever give up my Tilley - its the best hat I've even owned!  Smiley

6 kite tom
flat6nut

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:02 AM »

I would buy one if I could go into a store and try it on. Going to have to check the local shops...lots of low and high end hat shops here in the area. Maybe a birthday present. I do like the way the Tiley's look. I dont like anything heavy on my head...gotta fit kinda loose as well.

Michael
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:59 PM »

If you fly kites and are worried about "street cred" you're going to be in for a lifetime of disappointments I'm afraid to say.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:28 PM »

Flying sport kites is so goofy that a floppy hat couldn't possibly hurt.   Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 05:09 PM »

Now if anyone would like a good write-up about sunscreens that I got from my doc, let me know. I scanned it to send to my kids and would be happy to forward it to anyone else.

Bob,
Did the write-up mention anything about how an SPF rating really doesn't mean anything after 20?
One of my pharmacists said it was bunk to go higher....I'd like to prove her wrong.........heh heh Tongue

I'd take a forward of that document if the offer still goes..

thanks,
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
flat6nut

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 06:31 PM »

Bob,
Did the write-up mention anything about how an SPF rating really doesn't mean anything after 20?
One of my pharmacists said it was bunk to go higher....I'd like to prove her wrong.........heh heh Tongue

I'd take a forward of that document if the offer still goes..

thanks,
Jim

I thought it was 15. From the way I understand it...15 spf means you can stay out 15 times longer than if you had no protection.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 06:48 PM »

So what she's saying is that you can only stay out that much longer and not 30 rt 50 times longer, I guess.....BTW...............you really don't have to try on a Tilly before buying.......you just measure loosely above the eyebrows and go up two sizes .........and then Voila!

I didn't follow instructions, (I hardly ever do) and had to send one back............but if you go with a Tilly or two I promise you, you'll never regret it..........    SPF 50 or not Wink

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document