GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tilley and Other Sun Protection Hats  (Read 2876 times)
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 09:00 PM »

Info's on the way, Jim.

SPF 15/20 -- I'm not sure what the diff really is. My understanding, though, is that's the MINIMUM recommended protection. If you're going to reapply it every hour or so, perhaps it would do. I don't think I've ever been that conscientious and would rather be extra safe with a higher SPF rating.

BTW, my doc's recommendation based on the research is for SPF 70 in the Nutrogena Helioplex line or, as the best, micronized zinc or titanium dioxide (physical blockers vs chemical blockers) which now are made in clear formulations.

Personally, I'm not going to quibble about a little extra degree of rating. If I'm going to apply it at all, I'd rather be safer.

Bob
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 01:51 AM »

Thanks so much Bob...........I guess when you get down to it, being right doesn't mean a lot with the Pharmacists I work with...........It would be so much more improtant to have that PDF file posted somewhere on this Forum (sticky maybe?) so all of us could have a chance to view, ingest, and pass on this most important info..........We all gonna die................but if we had a little more info, we just might prolong the obvious safety factors that seem, sometimes, to be ignored 'cuz of our passion.........thank you,

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
flat6nut
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 04:37 PM »

Was thinking...why would a hat have a spf rating? If it does not have holes in it, would it not provide 100% protection. Perhaps I am too simple minded to get it.

Michael
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 05:28 PM »

Actually, clothing has a UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) - based on the percentage of UVA/UVB that is blocked - whereas sunscreens have a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) which is an EPA standard indicating a relative length of sun exposure before reddening with sun screen compared to without.

A normal-language explanation can be found here (scroll down about 2/3 way), but simply put, different fabrics, designs and construction methods can have different UV blocking characteristics.
The UPF ratings for level of protection found in the fabrics are classified byASTM International as follows:
Excellent UV Protection=UPF 4050+, blocks 97.5% of UV radiation
Very Good UV Protection=UPF 2539, blocks 96.097.4% of UV radiation
Good UV Protection=UPF 15- 24, blocks 93.3-95.9% of UV radiation

Hope that makes sense.

Bob
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 05:44 PM »

if you go with a Tilly or two I promise you, you'll never regret it..........   

Ditto!

The lighter weight compared to cheaper hats sold me.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 06:56 PM »

hmmmm just got a ltm6 tilley. Tried on the same size as my helmet and it seemed to fit ok. Now i'm wondering if should have gone up a size based on what you guys are saying, yeh i can get 2 fingers in by my forehead(more like 3)

Sine Metu!
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 07:06 PM »

Was thinking...why would a hat have a spf rating? If it does not have holes in it, would it not provide 100% protection. Perhaps I am too simple minded to get it.

Michael

One can still get burnt from looking up in the sky at the kite and reflection off sand or water. Beyond that, the tightness of the weave or type of fabric varies on how much of the rays penetrate through.

When growing up on the farm, I never wore a cap. Later in life I went in for sleep apnea / CPAP testing. When they were hooking up the wires to my scalp, they commented that my scalp was thicker than normal and I must not wear a cap outdoors. Who would have guessed that as a side-effect? Not a "I'll live forever" teenager.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 09:47 PM »

Sounds okay.

hmmmm just got a ltm6 tilley. Tried on the same size as my helmet and it seemed to fit ok. Now i'm wondering if should have gone up a size based on what you guys are saying, yeh i can get 2 fingers in by my forehead(more like 3)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document