GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an ideal flying line length for doing trick flying ?  (Read 3760 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: August 07, 2010, 08:47 PM »

Currently I'm using 55kg/100ft. lines from low wind to high wind(25km. or 15.6 miles max) for trick flying.  I tried longer lines before and I don't like it.  I have better control of the kite with 100ft. lines.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:56 PM »

To answer your thread topic's question - no, there isn't.

Edit:- after careful consideration I've unlocked this. If you do post a reply PLEASE attempt to answer the question (or reiterate that such an answer does not exist) and not merely state what line length and weight you prefer to use.

Onwards.  Huh

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:42 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:13 PM »

45rpm is just about right, 33 is a bit slow and 78 is just crazy!

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:30 PM »

On a serious note...

I usually do tricks on either 60 feet or 75 feet lines.  I hardly ever fly any further away from the kite than that

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
DonCrash

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:22 PM »

I'll bite  Wink

Preferred flying line is basically what you are truly most comfortable with. However, even your preferred length will also depend upon the kite. There are certain length of lines that will do better for you on Kite A vs Kite B which you may have to resort to using a different length just cuz it does better. However, a person who keeps at it and perseveres (using a non-preferred length line), may find themselves liking such line eventually, or perhaps not. That doesn't quite answer your question directly, as there is no general ideal flying line length, but there is an ideal flying line length for each person per kite.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:25 PM »

I'd always thought of 100 ft plus line lengths as more suited for competition. My personal favorite length bounces right around a 10 to 1 line length to kite wingspan ratio, sometimes more like 11 to 1. So, I fly 8 ft kites on around 80-85 ft.  Right now I'm flying 3/4 sized kites when I do fly, so a 6.5-7 ft kite is working at about 75 ft. 
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:53 PM »

I'll say its mostly personal preference but is somewhat kite dependent too. I rarely fly on lines under 100' but my Talon UL really doesn't do as well on 100' lines as it does on 75' lines.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:52 PM »

You're welcome. Wink

You might want to bump your line length up to about 75ft though. It'll help smooth things out.

Use the line length that is suitable for what you are attempting to accomplish.

Personally, I lean towards shorter lines most of the time, but it is hard to do insane cascades on anything shorter than 100-125ft without running out of sky pretty quick.

I would agree that certain kites seem to do well with a particular length.

Once you get under about 75ft., you are into a different sort of flying. A lot of kites aren't really designed to go that short IMO.

Not that you shouldn't fly that short but, it is different.
kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15 PM »

wind speed and kite size are factors, but for trick flying I like the 65-75' range best
RonG
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 07:12 AM »

125'
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 08:40 AM »

114'
Occasionally I'll drop down to 100' with a UL in swirly winds when I need to be able to quickly stay in a moving wind window.
RonG
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:42 AM »

114'
Occasionally I'll drop down to 100' with a UL in swirly winds when I need to be able to quickly stay in a moving wind window.

126.7'

111.8' for light wind.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 09:06 AM »

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 10:30 AM »

I have an excuse - that's the length I need to keep an even stagger in team flying   Smiley
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 10:49 AM »

75' for some kites, 100' for some kites, 125' for others.

I generally don't enjoy shorter lines but zero wind can be easier on shorter lines.

All totally a matter of personal choice based on flying style, field size, wind, etc.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum