GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 3514 times)
np
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: August 08, 2010, 08:21 AM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:22 PM by np » Logged
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:30 AM »

I haven't seen any reviews on the Chrome and to be honest I doubt if many will buy it.  I'm a fan of HQ kites, but the Chrome is just way too expensive.  The spec is quite good but not exceptional, but price wise I could buy a custom Benson Deepspace or JOE Talon over here and still have change and I know what I'm getting - it's up there with R-Sky and Cosmic. It would need to perform out of this world to justify the price. Look at it this way, if HQ made cars they would be Volkswagon - good, reliable, well made, decent performance and value for money...but not exactly exciting like a Ferrari, Lamborgini, Zonda etc. Imagine Volkswagon make a hypercar - fantastic performance, amazing handling, looks to die for, as good or better than all the other Hypercars.  If you were in the market for a Hypercar and had $500,000 of your own money to spend, would you buy the one with the VW badge, or the one that says Ferrari, Lamborgini, Pangani etc?

They have a hell of a lot to prove.  Best bet for a review might be to keep a look out on the German Kite magazine sites.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
711jrp

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:27 AM »

Good argument but you are aware this IS made by Vdub......

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
Moe

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:38 AM »

If you were in the market for a hyper car and had $500K in your pocket, you'd still be a million short for a Veyron.  Lambos, Ferraris and the like are cheap compared to VW's.  Smiley

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01 AM »

It all eventually ends in tears anyway.... Sad

ATB,
Sam
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:15 AM »

Good argument but you are aware this IS made by Vdub......

Very true, but you can't buy a Volkswagon Vayron! if VW had launched the Vayron under it's own name it would probably be nothing more than an interest footnote in motoring history - that unusual concept car VW made.  Instead they had the marketing sense to lauch it under the venerable name of Buggati with all the history and reputation the name carries....the rest is history.

I'm not knocking HQ or VW here, I own both!  When we spend top dollar on a top quality kite ( car, camera, HiFi, whatever), we pay for the performance, we pay for the craftsmanship, but if we're honest we also pay to be able to say " well actually I fly a Benson/Talon/Fearless/BMK/ R-Sky/ Cosmic etc" The Chrome may well be that good, but it just doesn't carry it for the price they are asking.  I'd still like to try one though!!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:01 AM »

Very true, but you can't buy a Volkswagon Vayron!
Far be it for me to come across all Spelling Police on you but... Volkswagen Veyron. These things are important to some people.

I've looked in vain myself for much review-wise on the Chrome. I'm interested far more in whether or not HQ can move up to that price point than the kite itself but no-one seems to be talking. Even the German sites are quiet.  Sad

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:58 PM »

I've heard rumors that HQ /USA didn't get any, or very few, of those newly announced kites in this year except for the Volksquad. A shame really after such a good effort on that sweet catalog. The pricing,  except on the Chrome, was very aggressive too. I hope next year we'll see some of those new kites. I haven't heard if
Invento got them over in Europe, any word?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:41 AM »

The Chrome is certainly advertised as available from one kite shop here in the UK. Current price is 225 - down on what it was ( better to Euro rate?) but still a lot of money.  I'm really suprised that there is Nothing on the internet about it - If I were HQ and trying to get into the high end market I'd be sending it out to Everyone!  I would certainly like to at least read a test report before I put my money down. HQ do occasionally get it wrong - the Jive 2, also launched this year wasn't as good as the kite it replaced IMHO( though it can be fixed to some extent).

I've just asked about it on the HQ forum so we may get some answers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:02 AM by Hadge » Logged

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08 PM »

The Chrome is ....I've just asked about it on the HQ forum so we may get some answers.
Really like your Signature/Picture.  Pooh flying a kite, doesn't get much better than that.

Have owned a lot of HQ kites.  In the last few years there non-beginner sport kites have seemed expensive for just reasonably nice kites.  Would like to see and fly a Chrome to see what they put out as a HIGH end kite.  Unfortunately, if they don't sell some here in the states there won't ever be a previously loved one for sale.

eric
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:13 PM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23 PM »

I don't expect the Chrome to be any better built than the Phoenix Supreme was, which was okay but nothing to write home about, especially at the price.

I'd like to be wrong but it doesn't look like there will be an opportunity to find out at this point.
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 03:29 PM »

I don't expect the Chrome to be any better built than the Phoenix Supreme was, which was okay but nothing to write home about, especially at the price.

I got a Phoenix Supreme and really liked it.  But alas the nose punched through in very short order.  Got two more and similar issues.  Nice kite but the build quality was not so great, mainly the nose construction.  In my defense, I have only had nose issues on a couple of other kites so don't think it was all me.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 01:51 AM »

The nose on the Jive 2 is very neatly done and has a layer of ballistic nylon ( as used in bulletproof vests) built in so it should last well.  I would expect the Chrome to be at least as good. Smiley   Still no reply from HQ to my question about reviews/videos  Sad

Hadge

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 10:14 AM »

I've just had this reply from HQ about the Chrome:-

"Hi,
there are now test reports at the moment and now official video material available.
We'll start delivery soon - maybe this week. We'll have a quality check here on every single CHROME kite first.

I'll post a link here if there is any further video, pictures or test available."

So we may get some answers soon.  Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document