GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Curious - Why this was thread locked ???  (Read 5165 times)
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: August 08, 2010, 08:28 AM »

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3696.0;topicseen

I had a number of thoughts but decided to just ask.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:06 AM »

it looked like a case of a moderator being overly zealous
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07 AM »

Yeah, weird, seemed like a valid subject...

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:02 AM »

The moderator in question is talking it out with his coffee machine (in his own words).

I leave the decision in his hands.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jaybett

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25 AM »

The way the question is asked, the answer would always be no. So what is the point in discussing it?

Now if the o.p. asked, What is the ideal line length for flying and or learning tricks? I'm sure the moderator would allow discussion on that topic.

Jay
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:31 AM »

Just zippy's way of letting us know he'd like to see a little more critical thinking put into the creation of topics in his bailiwick IMO.

Also, perhaps a sign of how far the lack thereof has pushed him towards the edge: if not over.
flat6nut
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 12:06 PM »

Not very encouraging for us new people here. I was going to start a thread like this one. Guess I will stick to asking my questions in the chat.
Thouhgt kite flying was supposed to be a way to releave stress...some people are just wound too tight.

Michael
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:21 PM »

It's a tough question to answer - all about the specific kite to me.  Some I really like on short lines, some I don't.  Some are good on short lines in light wind, but not in higher wind.  Some don't have enough pressure on the lines to pull 120' lines very well in moderate wind.

I think there is no decent answer - it depends on the kite, winds, and flyer.

(I guess we can hi-jack this thread!)  Smiley

6 kite tom
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 12:46 PM »

... (I guess we can hi-jack this thread!)  Smiley

Be careful!
The helicopters are still hovering.
 Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 12:50 PM »

This one is going to get hot I think, 3 members writing posts to it as I do ... LOL. I'll move the following if it re-opens.

Anyway cids, no there isn't a perfect line length, that is purely personal preference and you'll get 3 pages of replies proving that. But you go on in your post and state you are currently using 55kg at 100' for all your flying . OK then, if you're comfortable with 100' that is YOUR perfect length, someday you may change even that preference.

But there are better options for the weight of line used if we are talking about use on 6' - 8' framed delta wing dual line sport kites. 55kg or 120 lbs would be considered by most as too heavy for light wind flying.

Some people will go as low as 50 lb line, I have a couple sets myself, but some have experience breakage with 50 lb lines, I have myself.

75-90 lb is usually considered a good all around weight, I use that weight about 90% of the time.

When those 90 lb lines start singing as the wind comes up I'll opt for the lines I've gotten in "Ready to Fly" kites which are usually in the 120 - 150 lb range.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:53 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 01:04 PM »

Not very encouraging for us new people here. I was going to start a thread like this one. Guess I will stick to asking my questions in the chat.
Thouhgt kite flying was supposed to be a way to releave stress...some people are just wound too tight.

Michael

Sad that some people delight in making new fliers uncomfortable in the forums, sad too that that leaves you with input from only the 5 or 6 people who visit the chat room.

The only dumb question is the one not asked, It doesn't matter if we've done it already 1000 times, you're new here and may not want to spend 3 weeks going over 10 years of posts, so I'll answer it 1000 more times.

And I'll answer it even if your grammer is off or you spell it wrong  Wink I'm skipping the spell checker this post, so fire away Mike

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 01:11 PM »

Michael

Sad that some people delight in making new fliers uncomfortable in the forums, sad too that that leaves you with input from only the 5 or 6 people who visit the chat room.

The only dumb question is the one not asked, It doesn't matter if we've done it already 1000 times, you're new here and may not want to spend 3 weeks going over 10 years of posts, so I'll answer it 1000 more times.

And I'll answer it even if your grammer is off or you spell it wrong  Wink I'm skipping the spell checker this post, so fire away Mike

Thanks Mike!
I wasn't going to respond because of what Dano said.  (I can hear the gatling guns being locked and loaded)

Right on and to the point............... Cool

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Gardner

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 01:51 PM »

For what it's worth, I like to fly 90-pound line in lengths fro 85-feet t0 90-feet.  That's for standard kites of course.  On ocassion, I have flow150-pound at 120-130 feet and a full-sized Fury and Quantum Pro VV on 200-pound line.  At the other end of the spectrum, my Pro Wren like 50-pound line ar 60 feet or less.  Contrary to my own rules, I have flown standards on 50-pound line and my Pro Wren very gently on 75-feet of 85-pound line.  And that's tatamount to putting a 350 Chevrolet in a Mini Morris.

There are no set rules or criteria for deciding line length and weight.  It all depends on wind, the kite, and what you want to do or feel like doing, whether it's fly circles and squares or ground passes or yank-and-spank.

Gardner
rxburner
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:23 PM »

The poster is often Redundant, I think English may be his second language. don't read to much into his original post.
This topic has been discused many times.... it is okay with me that it was locked.

My feelings on line length..??  Size Does Not Matter....
Rx
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 03:22 PM »

This topic has been discused many times.... it is okay with me that it was locked.

Pretty selfish attitude.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document