GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Curious - Why this was thread locked ???  (Read 5787 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50 AM »

Maybe a more constructive response to the post on the original tread would have been more appropriate than just locking it. A suggestion to use the search function or suggestion how the question could be rephrased rather than nuking the tread with little explanation.

The forum has some enthusiastic posters. Many are newer trick kiters and they are excited about this cool new interest they have discovered. I think that is a good thing and if they seem redundant to you, don't respond or even read them.

Instead, why not start threads that you find more interesting or that relate better to your own interests? When I read responses like "not another thread about $$$ kite, or %%% trick" etc. it makes me wonder what the poster is doing to increase the quality of the forum THEMSELVES. I feel those type posts are just cluttering up threads that are interesting to others. The best way to assure better content is to create it and encourage it by adding to it when you see it. Add your experience, knowledge and opinions, they are as valid as any. Whining about it just adds more clutter and makes the poster just as tedious, or more, as seemingly redundant post about similar subjects. Trolling, dropping flame bombs and constantly posting or piling on negativity always drag forums down.

I think it's good to see many posts about a kite, a trick or whatever. It means that active users are flying and / or interested in the kite / trick / product. Isn't that what is keeping kiting going? People actually excited about kites, flying kites, tricking kites?

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 12:36 PM »

First I would like to make an apology if I'm the one who causing this problem.

This is a sticky(You don't have to be a beginners...) from Beginners Corner by AC
First & foremost this is a friendly place for new forum members to talk about anything kite related.

Second, it's a place for new flyers to ask all the questions that come to mind. Rest assured, they've all been asked before, but that doesn't mean they should get answered with "use the Search feature". Especially since this New Forum has little to search on.

The Old Forum had an amazing amount of info and I'm going to try to capture some pertinent threads here before it goes away.

We've got some of the best kite flyers and best kite forum posters on the planet around here, so there's no topic too obscure or too obvious.

Is this statement apply to AC's Beginners Corner only or to the whole GWTW Forum ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:51 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 05:41 PM »

First I would like to make an apology if I'm the one who causing this problem.

Nope, you didn't cause any problem and I believe an apology is totally unnecessary.  And I did not mean to start a 4 page thread.  Was just curious.
-------------------------------------------
By the way, to your original question, as I was learning to fly I had a number of experienced enthusiast tell me the perfect line length to use to trick.  Everything from 25' to 125'.  The most specific being 63'.  Not knowing any better I tried a number of these only to find the lengths (yes plural) that I considered ideal.  I appreciated all of the strong opinions and used them to find my own way. 

25' is great fun for a small kite in light wind-really up close and personal.
63' is such a precise number that I have several line sets this length
75' - 85' doesn't suck either

try several and find your own way.  keep flying, posting, reading and of course buying new kites...

Thanks Steve for letting us all ramble!

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 05:44 AM »

If you hadn't noticed.... I've unlocked it. I ask you all to kindly not make me regret this.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum