GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Latest kite (and movie)  (Read 1804 times)
kjansch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 08, 2010, 12:50 PM »

Hi Guys - I'm new to this forum, hello!, but some of you might have seen my kites before. I've just finished another one, so I thought I'd join and let you know about it.

If I've been quiet these last few weeks and months, this is why. This is the is the latest, and last, in my series of Calvin & Hobbes kites, and it's taken me near on six months, on and off.

Kite Making Two

At times I felt my spirits flagging, thinking I'd taken on too complex a design on too small a kite. I had this design in mind from the very start, way back when I was building the kite featured in my first kite making video but the complexity was daunting and I didn't feel able to tackle it back then. I'm glad I waited.

I learned a lot making those earlier Calvin & Hobbes kites; filming and writing about the process helped too - and so, back at the start of 2010 I started work on this one. Strictly speaking it's not a Calvin & Hobbes kite, as Hobbes doesn't appear, and Calvin's appearance is a brief daydream.

In typical Calvin fashion he's ignoring his teacher whilst sat as his school desk: instead of the tedious business of learning he's off traveling the galaxy as his alter ego, Spaceman Spiff.

I've tried to tell a story with this kite. In much the same way as Bill Watterson used to in the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip, this kite has a distinct narrative; the three sections following on from each other. Foil kites can't be seen in the round when flying. The back presents one side or the other, depending on the direction of flight, effectively separating imagery into two distinct halves; you never get to see both. Whereas the front foreshortens images into one complete whole.

So with this one, Calvin daydreams his way through the school day on the first half of the back, and takes to his flying saucer as Spaceman Spiff on the other. The front features the inevitable conclusion of his space-faring: being shot down by aliens (which usually coincides with a rude awakening by his teacher).

The making of this kite fell into to two phases; prompted by the popularity of my first kite making film. There was the process of making the kite itself, and that of documenting it. I decided very early on that I would make a special effort to improve on that first film.

I'd done the informative "this is how I do it" film, and written a very detailed blog of the process from start to finish. So this film takes a different tack. I doubt very much that you'll be any the wiser about how exactly I go about making these kites after you've seen it. I hope instead you'll begin to understand how it makes me feel, making and flying my own kites, and knowing that each one is unique (that's code for "heavy on drama, light on information").

One of the other reasons this kite, and film, has taken much longer than I'd at first hoped, was that I switched from Final Cut Express to Final Cut Pro, and invested Adobe After Effects, meaning that I faced an unpleasantly steep learning curve. It was worth it though. I finally feel like I know exactly how to get the result I want; rather than trying to cobble together the footage I happen to have shot that day, I now know what I want before the camera comes out of the bag. The downside? Well, I could always do with a better camera...

Hope you like the movie, and the kite: photos to follow...
kiten00b
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:11 PM »

inspirational.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:57 PM »

Awesome! again. Fantastic kites, thanks for sharing.

I still can't believe that amount of detail in so many separate panels and you get it to all match up. I have issues with centerlines on stunters  Embarrassed

And where are you getting the flesh color? Are you using balloon fabrics?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kjansch

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 02:18 PM »

Glad you like it!

The flesh colour is from Vliegerop, a kite wholesale company based in the Netherlands. When I get a chance I'll dig out the reference number and post it up here. I use Chikara ripstop, which is a 45 gsm material: not sure if it's used for balloons, but it's been Flexifoil's material of choice for a while now. As it's lighter than the original Ozone material the kite actually flys a little faster than the original donor kite.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:22 PM »

Cheesy LOVE IT!

Coolest foil I've ever seen, hands down. Great vid, and amazing turnout.

Kudos!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
art
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:40 PM »

Well done on the video and the kite is stunning. Congrats.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 08:31 PM »

I am truly humbled.

Wow, on every level.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Frank
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 08:57 PM »

I can honestly say, these movies of yours are the most amazing kite related films I 've seen.

bt
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:19 PM »

I`m sure I`ve seen one of your C+H`s kite making of vids before and was blown away then...I`m stunned now...
Bravo!!!
bt
stapp59
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 03:59 AM »

Wow!  That must have taken an hour or two  Cheesy Grin

Have been thinking of doing an entire first kite project and was pondering about how to handle the curved panels.  You make it look easy.

Nice work indeed!
UPNET

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:23 AM »

Huh Huh Huh ........ Grin

WOW

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53 AM »

hot dang...good to see another one!!!!!
can you give the blog's address out? i would love to read it!
found it..... www.kj-kites.com
Nice job on the kite nice job on the film!

are you flying on handles or a bar?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:02 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 05:10 AM »

btw: here is the link to the first of Keiron's calvin and hobbes kite that i came across last october and posted about here....
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1866.0

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
bt

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 04:44 PM »

Yes that`s the vid I have seen before....thanks (again) thief.
bt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document