GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Did Kites Stop Flying?  (Read 3558 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 10, 2010, 02:42 PM »

I have only been in this sport 9 years. That's still not long compared to many here on the Forum and those who actually are out in the fields instead of here typing about it.

Over the years I have seen:

1 An increase in the popularity of quad-lines (Revs specifically)
2 A decrease or elimination of kites that have a low aspect ratio (Mojo, TrickTail)
3 An increase in the importance of tricks (i.e. "not flying)
4 Heavier stock bridle settings on high end sport kites
5 SULs that do "allthetricks™" by really being quite heavy and relying on the skill/athletics of the pilots
6 The near death of fighter kites being carried in kite stores
7 An increase in kites with noisy trailing edges to limit speed, not for the sake of noise and crowd excitement, but for keeping the kite closer to stall speed for that next series of gyrations.

Was it 1988 when the Revs came to be? The new found control which allowed a kite to hover at will, but still move around on command? Was it that first axel or fade that woke up everyone from flying circles, squares and competing with the pilot doing dance moves along with the kite?

You can't sell a modern sport kite unless it has yoyo stoppers, tail weights and the ability to do pitch tricks and Taz Machines. Ever read any text where the ability of a kite to track well was listed first on strong points?

Not complaining. I spend over half of my flight time practicing tricks so I can get to a level where the VF boys won't roll over laughing every time I enter. Still can't comete. Don't know if I even want to, but I keep after it because I'm supposed to know how to do it. Still practice my figures in-between tricks. They're harder to do well now that I don't spend as much time on them like I did when competing.

Andy Rooney, signing off.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:59 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 04:43 PM »

good thoughts...
on item #2: are you considering most kites out there now that are being sought after to be high aspect kites??? i would think the opposite....but then to me a low aspect kite would the shape of a Betancourt Badboy and a high aspect is a Psycho/stranger/omegaXS.....

r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:03 PM »

I'd say modern high end kites have a better combination of flight and trick characteristics than ever before. There was a time a few years ago when generally good flying kites were getting weighted and modded to roll up and flying poorly. Now that we've had a few generations of kites that need to be pitch friendly, things are smoothing out and a lot of kites fly well.

I've noticed a trend in less expensive kites, they seem to have less R&D put into flight quality. It takes a lot of tweaking to make a good all around kite. Blue Moon kites fly nice.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:34 PM »

good stuff here...

#6 Most fighter flyers either make their own or buy from other fighter people who make them. IMHO there has never really been a good fighter sold in kite stores. PKC's and Stryke and such are nice but not really a comp grade fighter. We like fast, little, twitchy, spiny things... Cool

"Do what you like"
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:56 PM »

Kites stopped flying with the advent of the Flexifoil Stranger and its sibling the Psycho.

That was one of the design criteria according to The designer Andy Preston as stated in a kite magazine (which one escapes me at the moment) article. Andy was bored with the then current State of The Art.

He got bored again a few Years later and designed the L7.

In between he came up with the Matrix.

I'm just waiting around for him to get bored again.
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08 PM »

alas, kites stopped flying with the demise of Seattle AirGear.

I blame the Organized Kite Culture.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24 PM »

Okay.

That was (and is) funny. Wink

alas, kites stopped flying with the demise of Seattle AirGear.

I blame the Organized Kite Culture.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07 PM »

Real funny

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09 PM »

I've heard Dodd was to blame for kites stopping flying, he brought out those dang video's and everybody quit flying. Killed the whole kite industry single handedly.

(sorry Dodd, not my words, just amused me when I heard it repeated)

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 05:31 AM »

The kite I'm looking forward to most is when Ken McNeill gets around to the 'Butterfly Fart Kite'[TM]. I'm anticipating that it will be a broadseamed kite with the emphasis on flying rather than tricking  Tongue

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:42 AM »

I fly kites that 'fly'. I've been having alot of fun with the 2 PBSK kites that I got from the swap meet. They count as kites that 'fly', right ? (BadBoy & Vanishing Point).

Thanks to the guys who passed along these old beauties !

~Rob.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08 AM »

It's almost as funny as the organized kite culture kite forum:

No sex     Angry

No politics    Sad

No religion    Shocked

No line length     Embarrassed

Maybe in regards to line length:
 You have to pray that
 Bigger isn't always better and
 The left wing and the right wing agree

Where were these rules during the mindless and endless Stx topics that make Fearless topics appear to be in infancy?    Lips sealed

Since someone was so brazen to mention a financial issue (it's not officially on the "no topic list" yet), it appears yesterday may have been the reversal day for the Euro's move from about $1.18 to $1.33 and the end of the sideways topping action in the stock market. Large down trends in both may be resuming. Might even see "Greece" type stories back on the front pages for papers in search of a "reason" for the down trend. Greece type stories never went away - it's just newspapers' fitting the stories to the events.

Now, back to the organized kite culture elite's permitted topics.   Wink  Cheesy  Grin       

(however, I refuse to use   Cool  or    Tongue)     Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:23 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:28 AM »

The kite I'm looking forward to most is when Ken McNeill gets around to the 'Butterfly Fart Kite'[TM]. I'm anticipating that it will be a broadseamed kite with the emphasis on flying rather than tricking  Tongue

When Ken started the series "The Next Dimension" on Pairs flying in conjunction with Jeff McCown I was hopeful we would see a slightly more modern Team and/or Ballet Kite, alas the Mamba is still the best option in the Blue Moon line-up, and it is currently being modified into a trickier version. How many hits did that section of Blue Moon receive? Did anybody other then myself read and save all 3 installments?

I'll bet Ken is aware that the Pro Dancer SUL (similar to your description) sells 3 kites (estimate) per year and past the initial run of 10-15 for the Blue Moon number fanatics he would be splitting that market with Jon?

Many of todays Polyvalant (probably trashed that spelling) "Fly" pretty good. I always spend a few minutes "Flying" a kite, whether it's a new kite to me or my old standby, just doing some precision work and feeling out the wind window before attempting any slack line move so I have a feel for it's recovery characteristics for when I blow a move and end up nose down under power.

IMO it's not a case of the kites quit flying, fliers quit flying.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:44 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36 AM »

I still fly between trick sequences. I enjoy working on controlled flying, sharp angles, arcs & the like. And pretty much all my kites fly very well. Its not like they fall out of the sky if I stop tricking them.

IMO, if all one could do is fly around I'd moved on long ago.

Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:41 AM »

IMO, if all one could do is fly around I'd moved on long ago.

Agreed Randy. Don't think I would have lasted a year.

See ya,
Bill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum