GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 10:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I love this site!!  (Read 1608 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: August 12, 2010, 07:13 PM »

I swear this site is capable of reading my mind or something... I found it about a week or two ago and have been on here constantly trying to figure out;

What is a good light wind kite?
and
What is a good set of kites to buy?
and
What is the difference between a $100 kite and a $500 kite?

But by the time I get here to post, you guys have already posted the same question and answered it for me.

I currently have a New Tech "Techno" kite that I have been trying to fix and fly for the last 2 years now... However I live in Seattle and we now have only one kite shop that I am aware of in the area... So this has been a very helpfull site... Due to all the constant reading and checking here I have figured out what spar I need and where to get it to fix it... I have also gotten lots of ideas on Which kite I should get for the "lack" of wind that we seem to have.

Anyway,
Just wanted to say thank you to all here and I am looking VERY forward to becoming more and more involved in this new addiction of mine!!  Cheesy

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26 PM »

Thanks Shane and welcome to the forum.

I needed that.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26 PM »

Welcome, Shane Cheesy !
This is a great place, for sure.

Best of luck with your new addiction, and in your future of kiting.

Smooth winds!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
flat6nut

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:43 PM »

Welcome aboard Shane. I am new here also...great site for info for sure...even too much info.  Wink
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:49 PM »

You are one lucky man since you are in Seattle. There is a Master Class Flier/Kite Designer in the Vancouver area. You should pay him a visit and he might let you try some of his kites or even he might teach you a trick or two.

Cheers and welcome to the forum  Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:41 PM »

Shane, I've flown the Techno but it's been a while. I remember having fun with it but it did seem like it needed some wind to get going. There are several members of the forum from up in Seattle. i'm sure they can chime in with any local advice you may need.

C ya

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 10:03 PM »

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum. I am from Whidbey Island and we have a kite club here that meets the 3rd Saturday of each month at Fort Casey on the Island from 11am-3pm. Good people, good food and from time to time good wind. Plus there are plenty of kites to try out. This month it falls on the 21st. Your invited, hope you can join us and we look forward to meeting you.

PS that goes for the rest of you also, you know who you are.
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:14 PM »

Hello Shane,
  I told you this would be a great place to check out information and find other fliers near you.  I am glad you took my advice.

Take Care
Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53 PM »

Shane,

I fly at kite hill most of the time - there are several of us in the area that fly regularly.   Most weekends, you will see at least a few flyers there (some are even very talented). 

I'll look for you and introduce myself.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 12:36 AM »

Hi Shane,
 Welcome to the forum, I check out another 4 kite forums around the world but at least with this one it makes me laugh, cry and some times I think a few people get a little worked up about there sport. Lol.I have but only 5 kites from your beloved city but enjoy them immensely.

Cheers from
Australia
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 05:44 AM »

Welcome Shane.

Been here 9 years and this is still the best place for the daily news.  Its all right here.

Its interesting, international, something we care about, exciting images, Steve shares startling news in the Fresh section, there are stories with human interest, education and yes sometimes even a little drama.

Who needs MSNBC?  Just visit here everyday.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58 AM »

I currently have a New Tech "Techno" kite that I have been trying to fix and fly for the last 2 years now... However I live in Seattle and we now have only one kite shop that I am aware of in the area... So this has been a very helpfull site... Due to all the constant reading and checking here I have figured out what spar I need and where to get it to fix it... I have also gotten lots of ideas on Which kite I should get for the "lack" of wind that we seem to have.

Shane

Welcome Shane,
If you need help with the Techno let me know.  I have one that gets out of the bag from time to time.  I might even have the specs for parts somewhere if I look hard enough.

Have fun in the forum.  For the most part a good place to get questions answered.

Jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15 AM »

Hi Shane , If you're still on the fence about the new kite. You can always get more from the techno by lightening the frame for light winds a p80 for the upper spreader and p100 for the lwr spreader and leading edges. Check with Steve for more option he has al the spec for the kite .
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Shane

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:20 AM »

Thanks to everyone for all the warm welcomes and invites!  Smiley

I contacted Skyshark yesterday and Cassie was super helpful. Got me the right piece and putting the ferral in for me...  Grin

I have been going to kite hill alot lately but haven't been doing much flying due to the heavy kite with no wind. I am still trying to convince the wife that I need a new UL or SUL for flying...  Cry     I'll get one eventually... I just hope it is soon I am really into this now..

I really appeciate the invite from GEB. I will try to make it out there on the 21st! ! I am really excited to get to know some other flyers in the area.. I met a "Tim" or "Tom" at kite hill a few weeks ago.. he had just won a 4D and he had some talent.

Thanks again for everything guys... and expecially Steve for keeping this going.

Looking forward to future flights
Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Shane

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:29 AM »

Hello Shane,
  I told you this would be a great place to check out information and find other fliers near you.  I am glad you took my advice.

Take Care
Charly

Yes you did.  :)And thanks for the recomendation. You were right and I appreciate all your help as well man.

Shane

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum