GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets keep it simple- Best Ul- Best Std- Best Vented as a set  (Read 4355 times)
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 11, 2010, 01:10 AM »

I've been flying now for about 6 yrs I now have 29 kites, I would like know what everyone thinks about a complete set of kites. I hope this thread doesn't goes the same way as that $500 thread. Lol

Cheers

Keith
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:57 AM »

'Best set' is kind of subjective depending on the style of kite you like, what the wind is like where you fly, how much you want to spend etc.
So there is no best for everyone.

Full sets are usually competition oriented so potentially that can limit your choice. Personally I like the Mantis *as a set* because the Vented is adjustable and works very well, I like the std a lot too. The UL however, while fantastic in clean wind isn't quite as much fun as an Exile on my local turbulent park.

For fun I'll generally go for a variety freestyle kites which often aren't available in vented versions, even if there's a UL.

Some people speak very highly of the Fearless due to its wide wind range and say you can cover 2 to 30 in 2 kites, equally some don't like them but if thats your style of kite its something to consider.

The Nirvana, Quantum etc. all have great competition track records.

As ever people have their own preferences, has anyone you fly with got a full set? Which end of the wind range give you most trouble? With 29 in the bag are there any designers or kites you already have a preference for?

bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24 AM »

I've been flying now for about 6 yrs I now have 29 kites, I would like know what everyone thinks about a complete set of kites.
Well I think a complete set of kites is great!! Now about that $500......
I have (in dual mode) sul, ul, and standard sails, but no vented.... a 4ft flexi hot shot though... But none of them would be a set...ie the same kite in all versions?? The closest I can come is a pro dancer sul and ul....a complete set for us low wind folks.
The only complete set would be in my case....revs......2`s, 1.5`s, 1`s...sul, full sail, mid and full vented, frame combos galore...got it all covered.
Again in dual mode there is a set of 5 Blue Moon Mambas out there for sale as a set only..in one of the banners on the right side of the page.. And from what I understand from the Blue Moon and Mamba enthusiasts on this forum, this may well be THE COMPLETE set of kites.....unless you`re a dark sider....or like other brands of kites.
bt
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:26 AM by bt » Logged
Flying High

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:35 AM »

Cheers Bt,
I have looked at that sellers kites before and I asked for a photo of what I would receive and alas to this day- about 3mths no reply. I was happy to pay the money, no problem, I just want to the other extra's that came with the package. That's life! Thank you for your reply.

Cheers
Keith 
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:42 AM »

Another thing to consider, is your skill level. If you are still in the early stages of learning how to trick, then I'd suggest looking at the bag of the best fliers on the field.

I did this a while back and it turned out to be a great way to learn. Having people who is familiar with the type of problems you may experience on a kite, is a valuable resource.

Jay
Flying High

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44 AM »

Ian,

I have kites worth $100 to $600 and I live in Australia, just to find some one else who flies kites is well extremely rare. In all my time I think I have had two people in 6yrs who have asked me questions about stunt kites. I fly every week and in the last six months I have purchased kites that cost the earth but they do perform, so I don't mind spending the money but in the same breath i have a complete set of Flying wing -souls. Yes made in Taiwan but value for money they work. I fly every week but not in one location but within 1000klms from my home because of my work. I have 6 level one kites - a pleasure to fly but at the high end extremely expensive but that what you get for custom made and one off's[ Aust dollar Vs Euro not real good ], I have a Sano SSL Hybrid that is just amazing with a SSZ coming for Xmas. I look at kites globally and there is a balance of what I am prepared to pay to keep amazing addiction alive. LOL

Cheers
Keith
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:02 AM »

My personal advice is if you fly alone and don't compete, don't worry about a matched set just find something you're comfortable with in each wind range. They may be completely different kites, e.g. 4 liners can handle ballistic winds well or an old Psycho is fun to hack around, at the other extreme fighters are fun when there's almost no wind.

There are always compromises made to extend a standard kite to the extremes of the wind range added to which you generally have to go for competition oriented kites which tend to cost more, just so you can get a vent. Some people advocate sticking to one type but generally in order to progress in competition.

Enjoy the variety mate, week in week out practice on the same kites can kill the fun of it all; been there done that  Wink

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30 AM »

Cheers Bt,
I have looked at that sellers kites before and I asked for a photo of what I would receive and alas to this day- about 3mths no reply. I was happy to pay the money, no problem, I just want to the other extra's that came with the package. That's life! Thank you for your reply.

Cheers
Keith 
are you saying that you tried getting a hold of Ken at Blue Moon and he did not get back to you after three months???   That is def. not Ken' practice.....i am guessing that something else happened.

the extras that come with the package?  most of the kites that you would be considering as a set will only come kite only....generally if you are purchasing a set of kites then you probably have the type of line (if not have it already) that you like, so why would a maker bump the price up to cover the cost of line (because they are not going offer up cheap lines with a boutique kite)....

you have a set of Souls?   I had heard that they did pretty well as a group of kites covering the wind range......

there a bunches of options out there........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 04:07 AM »

Not Ken, Charly Belassis has and ad up for a set of 5 with accessories

Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 04:40 AM »

I have 3 kites in my car for the last 4 months...A Talon set Tongue
Haven't needed anything else since then Wink

The new Frank!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15 AM »

If competing, and that's the only reason I would buy a matched set:

One of the following:

Quantum Pro

Mamba

Mantis

The Soul vented is an excellent kite, but the venting doesn't allow enough high end wind speed at a slower kite pace.

The Fearless might be too high of an aspect ratio for competition, at least in my hands.

JMHO

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 05:31 AM »

I'll say Cosmic TC's

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 05:32 AM »

I've been flying now for about 6 yrs I now have 29 kites, .....

That's a lot of kites for one person.  Personally I fly only one kite(F STD with SUL US/3PT LS) from 4 km to 25 km. The kite can still tricks at even higher wind but I can't.  If you want to speed up the tricking process, you should fly only one 'good' kite or one set of kites from the same maker.  It is the muscle memory thing.  Too much of a good thing(too many kites) will mess up your muscle memory training and slow down your progress.  But if your goal is fun & variety, then you can pick the best UL/STD/Vented from different makers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:19 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47 AM »

OK, who had 13 replies before we got that response ? I had 10 so I wasn't far out.  Grin awwww... it went and got removed. Sad

There aren't that many purely recreational kite sets all the way to vented. Apart from the Talon only the out-of-production Akuji springs to mind. The rest at least have some "competition ready" ring to them.

I can't imagine of any sane "best kite..." question where Nirvana isn't a pretty good response though.

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:49 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54 AM »

Fearless.

(hows that for a simple answer)

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change