GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets keep it simple- Best Ul- Best Std- Best Vented as a set  (Read 4607 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 08:59 AM »

Not Ken, Charly Belassis has and ad up for a set of 5 with accessories
that is a whole other kettle of fish then....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
in.divi.dual
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:19 AM »

Fearless.

(hows that for a simple answer)

Yeah right, and you don't need a set - just the "Light Vented" - good for 3-28mph  Cool 
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57 AM »

sets? hrmn.

Mamba

Delta Drive

Nirvana

Althrough no vent, the Focus Jinx would be great for comp

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
KeithT
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 10:01 AM »

Althrough no vent, the Focus Jinx would be great for comp

Paul Debakker has a prototype vent  Wink

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11 AM »

Fearless.

(hows that for a simple answer)

Yeah right, and you don't need a set - just the "Light Vented" - good for 3-28mph  Cool 

You got it - ONE kite keeps it pretty simple!  Smiley

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 11:52 AM »

ONE kite keeps it pretty simple!  Smiley
But that wasn't the question, now was it ?  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Andy S

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 01:11 PM »

Best set? Soyokaze Akuji.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09 PM »

Longer answer......

My biggest issue with getting a set is that each kite in the set should fly reasonably similar to the others.  By that I mean that they should share the same tricking abilities, feel, strengths, input style - essentially, it should be the SAME kite just flying in DIFFERENT winds.  You learn the ins and outs of that kite and can use those skills regardless of SUL, UL, STD, or vent.  Each may have a minor accent, but they all should speak the same dialect.

Many kites, even ULs versus STDs don't pass this test - they sometimes share the name of the kite only it seems.  Oftentimes, the UL and vent may seem like they are from different planets.  No sense getting a set of a kite like this in my opinion - you may as well just pick different kites that you like in the UL, STD, Vent range. 

Aside from this, most vents are garbage - they feel like their feet are stuck in cement.

So, if this is a concern to you as well, be sure to try the full set of kites or at least ask folks that have them already as to how each version flys or you may be unhappily surprised.

6 kite tom
Flying High

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 04:07 PM »

Thank you every one so far I can look at

1. Fearless
2. Mamba
3. Mantis
4. Soyokaze Akuji
5. Nivarna- I have notice the high volume of people are selling second hand kites
6. Talon
7. Quantum Pro - I already have two
8. Cosmic TC- exchange rates make it hard to buy kites from europe

I fly purely for pleasure but I spend most of my time trying the hardest tricks, I would to think I fly towards the competition level. I like the concept that with the set you get the same feel for each kite and then adjust accordingly for inputs depending upon the wind range.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42 PM »

Thank you every one so far I can look at

1. Fearless
2. Mamba
3. Mantis
4. Soyokaze Akuji
5. Nivarna- I have notice the high volume of people are selling second hand kites
6. Talon
7. Quantum Pro - I already have two
8. Cosmic TC- exchange rates make it hard to buy kites from europe

9. Rev 1.5 Pro series - standard, mid vent, full vent with race rods  Grin

It isn't a dark side, it's just another side

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 04:50 PM »

For my money it would be the Qpro...........All four fly the same throughout their respective wind range and the VVent can be tuned so to keep it flying up to thirty MPH with good speed control.  A must for comps.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20 PM »

. . . I have 6 level one kites - a pleasure to fly but at the high end extremely expensive but that what you get for custom made and one off's[ Aust dollar Vs Euro not real good ]
Cheers
Keith

Which Level Ones do you have?
I have a Genesis SUL, UL and STD set.  Like them all but especially the UL.  Probably cause I prefer flying in its wind range most.  There is a vent in the Swap meet i'd like but need to sell some more kites first.

eric

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 07:38 PM »

The only "full" set of kites I've owned were Transfer XTRs, and as long as you didn't have to go out and buy them all at once you can probably still cobble together a set for not too high a price. I didn't really care for the variable vent on the XTR, I prefer the V.V. XTS. so if I had to do it again I'd probably try for a set of those.

If I had to buy a matching production set of kites I'd probably go right over to the right column and order up a set of JoE Talons.
in.divi.dual
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59 PM »

Vendetta's tho' there's no SUL as yet.

Cheaper than most of the above too.
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 08:29 PM »

Longer answer......

My biggest issue with getting a set is that each kite in the set should fly reasonably similar to the others.  By that I mean that they should share the same tricking abilities, feel, strengths, input style - essentially, it should be the SAME kite just flying in DIFFERENT winds.  You learn the ins and outs of that kite and can use those skills regardless of SUL, UL, STD, or vent.  Each may have a minor accent, but they all should speak the same dialect.

Many kites, even ULs versus STDs don't pass this test - they sometimes share the name of the kite only it seems.  Oftentimes, the UL and vent may seem like they are from different planets.  No sense getting a set of a kite like this in my opinion - you may as well just pick different kites that you like in the UL, STD, Vent range. 

Aside from this, most vents are garbage - they feel like their feet are stuck in cement.

I can tell you this much. I have almost fully exact matched set of Q Pros  by Prism. Now Granted the Kite is well Dated and needs to be Updated and modernized a bit.  However. All 4 kites fly really alike. I will admit that you do need to bit a bit more timid with the SUL  than the V V. All of them have different nose angels and vary in the sails etc. So the Handling is almost the same.
  After having 2 Baby strokes the last two years etc. I pulled them out for the first time and started flying them in NOV '09. That set of kites has placed me in the Nationals this year and I am still learning to fly the kites each day. They are different in their flight characteristics. However the handling is very close to being alike. The wind range is 2-6 SUL 5-10 UL 8-15 REGULAR and Vented after that with Brakes etc up to 35 MPH on 500lb lines to slow it down. 
   YES I DID do that this year in Competition for the drag! 

Mr ED
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum