GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Modern/Popular Music for Demos  (Read 2568 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« on: August 12, 2010, 07:40 PM »

'yello everyone! haha

I was thinking about demo events. Findlay OH is on saturday and I'm thinking about any way possible to turn someones head to a kiting area. Now demos are great, yeah, but if someones not looking over there, what else could get them to notice something?

The only thing I can think of is music. Popular music that people like today between 2 and 4 mins.
If you guys have any suggestions, by all means please post them.

As some of you know, I'm a classical music major and to be honest, I dont really listen to much else besides classical music and soundtracks.

If there's any music at all that you'd like to recommend, I'll take a listen forsure. I freefly everything, even in comps, so any piece will do.

This is mostly an experiment to see if this works, and if it does I'm going to keep flying to stuff that a lot of people know, and stick with what I like in the competition area.

Thanks in advance everyone!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37 PM »

The general consensus is that rock or pop music is too repetitive to be used well in competitions.

For demos, to attract the non-flier, you would need a hit that transcends time or something very current and huge.

I'd suggest any recent Lady GaGa song.

Bad Romance has over 261 MILLION views on Youtube. It's too long, but you can always make a shorter version or just ask the people to fade it near 3 or 4 minutes.

There are several LGG songs with over 100 MILLION hits. Just listen to a few and pick out the one that offends you the least.

For many of us, she is Lady GagME.  Smiley

Here are a few to consider:

Don't Dream It's Over: Crowded House  (slow)
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (moderate)
Can't Get You Out Of My Head: Kylie Minogue (pop/dance)
Pride (In the Name Of Love): U2 (slow)
Tom's Diner- DNA Version: Suzanne Vega (slow)
Ain't No Other Man: Christina Aguilera (nice variations in tempo)
Hysteria: Muse (my favorite modern rock song)
Every Morning: Sugar Ray (relaxed)
Human: The Killers (you'll have to cut 6 seconds)

Those are on my iPod between 4 minutes and 3:44 that may be appropriate. Got lots more if none of those strike your fancy.  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:27 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:51 PM »

And in other news....

Several people were badly injured in a stampede at the Findley, OH kite festival today. Apparently, a flying demonstration was choreographed to loud music(?) by Lady Gaga - the exact tune was not reported but they all sound the same anyway. The stampede started as festival goers tried to exit the area to escape the noise (defined by Ambrose Bierce as "a stench in the ears"). Police and the EPA are investigating and say charges are likely.

Could not resist - YMMV.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:25 PM »

Here are a few that have been camping out in my iPod lately:

Lindstrom feat Christabelle Lovesick

GOTAN PROJECT - La Gloria (official video)

CSS / Move (Cut Copy Mix)

Kind of catchy when I want to move with some energy.

Personally, I like your flying to classical and think it works extremely well.

6 kite tom
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:44 AM »

Hey Devin,

Truthfully classical music isn't really one of my favourite genres out there though I do appreciate why some people say its great for kite ballets due to the inherent dynamics normally contained within.

One of my favourite musical genres that I think could be pretty close is Post Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock). They have probably the same leanings as classical music but with a more "rock" feel to it. Changing dynamics are also structurally an integral part of its flow. However the problem is its hard to find a good post rock song that is 3 - 4 minutes. A lot of those songs are like over 8 minutes!

Here's a few popular bands that may help:
Explosions In The Sky
Tortoise
Mogwai
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
Slint

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 01:50 PM »

And in other news....

Several people were badly injured in a stampede at the Findley, OH kite festival today. Apparently, a flying demonstration was choreographed to loud music(?) by Lady Gaga - the exact tune was not reported but they all sound the same anyway. The stampede started as festival goers tried to exit the area to escape the noise (defined by Ambrose Bierce as "a stench in the ears"). Police and the EPA are investigating and say charges are likely.

Could not resist - YMMV.

Now THATS FUNNY!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Been listening to some new music from the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" that you may wanna try.  Fairly new stuff.  Try Gold Lion, Zero or Heads will roll.  Those are fun to fly to and have been getting priority play in my MP3 lately.  Another new group is MGMT - not sure how their stuff would work to fly to though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:55 PM by Gamelord » Logged

randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 03:36 PM »

Shiva's R&R Dub - Arling and Cameron

If you're not tapping your feet to this one, you ain't got a pulse. Huh And the song name is kite themed.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:40 PM by randyg » Logged

durangodriftkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:20 AM »

Wow the only one Ive heard of is LGG and the yeah yeah yeahs.  When i read this i found a few of my faves.. Since you said you were trained in music have you ever composed your own beats to fly to?

You might appreciate around 2:30
TiŽsto Power Mix

Yeah yeah yeahs cover
The Rocket Summer covering Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Pretty popular right now
Eminem - Love The Way You Lie ft. Rihanna

Id hate to see/hear you or any other grown man flying to Lady GaGa
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:23 AM by durangodriftkid » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:48 AM »

Watch a few episodes of America's Got Talent and grab something from there - they have already done the research for an hip song that is a sure crowd pleaser.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 04:27 PM »

It's not modern as in "new" but it's not classical or soundtrack stuff. I've gotten very good response to a couple of Santana instrumentals. My favorite is Incident at Neshabur off the Abraxas album. It has a great range from rhythmic drums to slow blues guitar and jazzy piano. Something for everyone and challenging to fly to (not boring). I have a 2:30 edit that is just right. I can send you a lo-res mp3 if you want to hear it. Great long guitar notes for side slides. :-)

Allen, AKA kitehead
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 01:53 AM »

I really like these guys.

Apocalyptica - Quutamo live

And another good song

Apocalyptica "Grace" (official full length video)

This is an incredible Metallica cover

One - Apocalyptica

Some beautiful cello.  The solo that starts at about 4:00 is haunting.

ApocalypticA - Farewell

Ron
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:13 AM by Stardragon » Logged
Nitrobex

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:48 PM »

what about this one?

BACKIN UP SONG!!

Maybe a rev routine one all black rev one all white rev... it would go with the discussions on the all black and all white kites...  They only fly in reverse, I am seeing some potential here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:51 PM by Nitrobex » Logged

"No it is not out of control, I am making it do those flips and turns."
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 05:13 AM »

This one is just a few seconds to long, but I love it. 

Ottmar Liebert - Barcelona Nights (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:24 PM »

Maybe this one?Huh

Ugress - Loungemeister (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Or...Chrono Cross OST - Chronopolis (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Hadge

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26 PM »

Have you listened to anything by Ludvico Einaudi? Excellent for flying kites to!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum