GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 01:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented Soul (The Best Of Bell's World)  (Read 3690 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: March 29, 2009, 06:56 PM »

I have not liked any of Mr. Chiu's previous offerings, although I have not flown the Soul standard. But, overall, I did like the Vented Soul.
8 pictures start with the hyperlinked photo below:

I flew the kite on a couple of different occasions, with winds ranging from about 8-20mph and bumpier than a teenager's face the night before prom. Flew on 75 foot lines and 110 foot lines.

NON-FLYING:

PROS:
Construction
Materials
Protected bridle line in rub areas
Fold-in standoffs for nicer packing
Nice nose work and attention to snag areas
Nice tensioning of the leading edge
Chamfered edges of spars
Bag actually protects the kite with inherent stiffness
The dual yoyo stoppers can be turned out of the way when flying team.

AMBIVALENT:
Kite Hanger Rod (really)
Shorter Interchangeable Standoffs a little too short
Kite Bag Just A Touch Too Short (maybe it's just me)
Stitchwork on keel and nose area (kite tattoo sort of)

CONS:
Bag needs a pocket for all the stuff.
Bag takes up a lot of room in a kite bag.
Kind of pricey (Wow, I could have had a BMK).
The yoyo stoppers turn out of the way too easily.

FLYING:
The kite tracks quite well and is set from the factory for a medium rate turn. No spin stalls or cool tail dragging corkscrews with this one. The kite picks up speed very quickly up above say 12 mph. There are 8 openings, but only one on each side is closable and I found little difference with that flap in or out. The frame started shaking a bit around 15 mph in the power zone. Maybe that's what Dynamic 15 rods mean, which is what the matching text (really, only us anal types will even notice) on the LS says. I would say the kite's useful range is 8-15 mph with a sweet spot around 10-12 mph. I would think of this kite more like a fast, heavy standard than a vented. The leech line is useless. The kite is silent and fast whether the leech is on or off. Must be all that reinforcement.

TRICKS:
If you've seen my VF entries, you know I'm a hacker so I'll give you my hacker thoughts. I felt the best tricks were the pitch based moves, without being overly prone to falling over on its back like a 4 bit prostitute. I could flic-flac the kite in 12 mph winds, while only losing very little altitude and walking forward slowly. Very nice. Yoyos in wind were there for me from an over-rotated JL move. I even got that forward yoyo rollup twice (and I totally suck at those tricks (don't even know what they're called)). Two-pop cascades looked pretty snappy in strong wind. Spin tricks looked weaker than I would like, but we are talking winds over 10 mph. Backspins are of the modern barrel-roll variety. The right yoyo stoppers kept rotating backward way too easily during regular flying and the shorter outer standoffs would pop out of the LS connectors on a regular basis. I much preferred the longer outer standoffs, which look like they are a match for the inner standoffs.

CONCLUSION: I liked the kite within it's rather narrow wind range. For winds in the 10-14 range, tricks and tracks are there for the taking. But, this is a fast kite at those speeds, so for me, the tricks were at the edge or coming in from the center down. I had trouble killing the speed. The frame vibration surprised me considering the beefiness of the frame. Oh, I also liked how it looked.

More later, if something else hits me.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:27 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:23 PM »

CONS:
Bag needs a pocket for all the stuff.
Bag takes up a lot of room in a kite bag.

So what do you prefer here  Huh

A pocket to make it bigger, or a smaller bag?  Smiley

I'm funnin with you John!

I'm surprised though, you say you didn't like any of the Silver Foxes. Great kite i think for the $$, after you put a little extra CA on all the joints.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:28 PM by Dano » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:13 PM »

overly prone to falling over on its back like a 4 bit prostitute.
If you are going to employ colourful similes at least spell them correctly. Wink And are we allowing this sort of language at the new forum ?

Given that the kite remains fast, have you tried sticking some air brakes onto the kite as well ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dave a
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:28 AM »

I stand by my assertion (that i made somewhere else) that the Soul is one of the best freestyle kites out there.
Its a shame many people cant get past its country of manufacture.

As someone once said "do yourself a favour"
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:30 AM »

Sadly, I must have been expecting the Forum spell checker to underline the word if I made a mistake. There goes my perfect gold star chances for the quarter.

As far as brakes, I was told the kite should have come with them, but we couldn't find any in the bag.

Excellent idea though.

I'll work harder to live up to your standards Mike.  Cry

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:15 AM »

was that kite on loan for pics or is it a demo? would be curious to try it out some friday if it's a demo.

Fdeli
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:27 AM »

I stand by my assertion (that i made somewhere else) that the Soul is one of the best freestyle kites out there...

Don't worry Dave, you'll get to try my Vented Soul very shortly.  I'm sure it will re-inforce your high (and valid) opinion.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document