GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 11:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism 4D centre T  (Read 1969 times)
Moonfog
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 14, 2010, 10:01 AM »

I finally snapped the aluminium/ aluminum centre T on my 4D. Dead launching in long-ish grass...what was I thinking?!?  Embarrassed (Got it in the air though!  Cool )
I'm reluctant to replace it with the same material as this seems like it may be an on going breakage issue. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what other materials could be used that would maintain a similar weight?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:19 AM »

Same thing happened to mine.  I had let a new flyer try it out and he planted it nose-down a few times so I think that also may have contributed, but it was the dead-launch that did it in.

It does dead launch nicely however.  Maybe its the grass (mine was on grass as well with not alot of ground winds) - either that or the kite needs only a small pop (it is pretty flexible and will readily bounce I think).  On sand it should be no issue.

I ordered another center T - 2 actually.  I checked the hardware store, but they were out of the diameter tubing that would have worked best. I bet most hobby stores would have it and you can probably get it in brass for that extra-special look (and you won't break that).

Anyhow, the new ones came.  They are crimped on on side.  I put the new one in with the crimp toward the back thinking that this will prevent the problem in the future (while putting more pressure on the frame during high stress).

Good luck with your repair and let us know how it goes.  Other that this by-design issue, I've been loving the kite.

-Tom

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:00 AM »

Two things will prevent this in the future...

Don't dead-launch... for me, trying the dead launch is the #1 way to break a kite. Just not worth it.

Don't fly the 4D in winds above 5mph... I don't see the point, unless it's the only kite you have with you at the time.

Probably the best way to fix it is to order up the direct replacement part, and order 2, like Tom suggests.

~Rob.

Moonfog

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:31 AM »

Thanks Tom. I also came across this info over at the Prism forum:

"I did ask Brent (from Prism) whether there was anything in the works to rectify the aluminum "T" and he said they are working on it and should have a replacement part within a 3 or 4 months."

This was posted on July 20th so we'll see if anything comes of it.
Moonfog

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 03:53 PM »

I went down to my local hardware store and bought a one metre length of 4mm aluminium tube. It cost me less than a buck fifty. My local kite store was selling replacement parts for around $3.50. Looks like I made a huge saving and have a lifetime of replacement Tees.  Grin

P.S. The 4mm is slightly bigger than the original so the spars may need a wrap or two of tape, otherwise she's good to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document