GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 07:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRIDAY THE 13TH FOR MY DELL E-310 Windows XP PUTA!  (Read 2330 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 17, 2010, 11:45 AM »

FRIDAY THE 13th was "D DO DAAA DAY FOR MY POOR STUFFED PUTA!

I have been getting so many required AUTO UPDATES daily on my old 2005 Windows XP system...that require more disk memory that has less than meager 80 GB hard drive has left...
that varies around 0 to 200 give or take on a daily basis.

1. BUY A NEW SOUPED UP HARD DRIVE
2. BUY MORE RAMMMMMMMMA DINGDONGDANDY

3. INVEST IN A NEW PUUUUTA?Huh

4.Bein an old retired kite koot living on a fixed income...perhaps I should dig out that old tattered cardboard sign that reads---
"WILL WORK FOR FOOD OR A NEW HARD DRIVE FOR MY STUFF OL OUT DATED E-310 PUTA FROM THE PITS OF DELL HELL IN A HANDBASKET?

I have dumped my favorite  Epson VS-300 scanner program that contains all my wonderful editing features such as Arc Soft hardware that I loved.
 (SORRY..I can't even think about selling off my beautiful old collection of sport kites dating back to the stone ages of the late 80's?
Any good ideas..??  Cheesy Cry Cry Embarrassed

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:57 AM »

If it's just hard drive space, the easiest thing to do (if you can't throw stuff away) is to plug in a USB hard drive and move a bunch of stuff over to it. Under a hundred bucks easy.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Sketch

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:10 PM »

Wow!
A few month ago...I bought a new WD external hard drive and I had no idea that I could move my VS-300 scanner and software over into this.
 I have been downloading my images from my cheapy 89 dolla' Fujjjjiiiiinot so fine pix camera onto my computer first...and then after tranferring them to my external HD....I delete them off my puta's' stuffed DellHell E-310 overstuffed hard-drive.

Are you saying that when these new AUTO UPDATES for my Windows XP arrive daily...ALL I HAVE TO DO IS TRANSFER THEM OVER INTO MY DW EXT. HARDDRIVE THAT STILL HAS OVER 90% MEMORY AVAILABLE?
GADS!
I must be DUMB AND ROCK N' A HOE HANDLE. Cry
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16 PM »

Operating System updates generally go on the primary drive.

Data files can be pushed to the external hard drive.

If the computer is from 2005, replacing the primary drive might save you some grief in the long run.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:37 PM »

There's something (a lot of something) filling up you 80GB primary drive other the OS patches. Find out what's hogging all the space and move it. Your OS and apps are probably not taking even half that space.

WinDirStat is a nice utility that desplys disk usage visually.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

Allen, AKA kitehead
Sketch

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:54 PM »

There's something (a lot of something) filling up you 80GB primary drive other the OS patches. Find out what's hogging all the space and move it. Your OS and apps are probably not taking even half that space.

however I just noticed that I do not even have enough memory to download this scourceforge utility Huh Cry

After going again and again to add and remove programs.... I notice that I have bunches of Window 7 updates and I don't even have windows 7???Daaaa How strange is this?
This old Dell came with Windows Media 2005---I wonder if my son might have tried to download Windows 7 and failed?

Dumb and reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaallly dumba-Don (Exiled kite flyer exiled here in Gig a bite Gig harbor Wa. Roll Eyes
attached photo that I shot with my Alpha 7 35 camera in one of my pre-med classes at PU

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:00 PM by Sketch » Logged
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15 PM »

It took me a day and a half to figure out that PUTA for you is short for computer.  Puta means something entirely different in Spanish (think ZZ Top's La Grange).

Ron
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:52 PM »

(think ZZ Top's La Grange)
I believe that was ZZ Top's Mexican Blackbird.
"they all called her puta cause no one really knows her name"

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08 PM »

You're right, Steve, that's the song I was thinking about although the two are kind of related in concept.

Ron
skabt

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04 AM »

80gb HD ? that is enough for most of the stuff, even XP SP4 take less then gig Smiley

my suggestion :
1. External HD for all you photo. data and bla bla.
2. reformat ur you laptop.

That should be something wrong with your system files (virus perhaps), so reformat ur lappy is best solution Smiley

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:37 AM »

Yep there have been virus's that filled your drive with garbage. Also a program repeatedly crashing can leave temp files. Something like Adobe Photo or Video, it's saving each change to a picture in a temp file for your undo function, if it crashes with 20 levels of undo on a raw image that can be a gig of temp files left on your computer right there.

skabt hit it right on the head, you could go in and manually delete them but if your PC is a couple years old a clean start will clean up many other other problems that are probably slowing your system down anyway. Find your recovery disks as supplied with the computer or that you made when you first bought it. If you never made them make them now but you may have to get your personal files off and deleted to make enough room for that process.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:50 AM »

author:Allen Carter

I'm with Allen, 80GB is really quite a bit of space,80GB may be small when compared to say 500GB...but it's still alot of space.You didn't say what size   the WD external drive is... but of course it adds to the overall storage space.
Couple of thoughts...video files and high resolution pictures can take up alot of space, it is a good idea to move them to the external drive.
I have been getting so many required AUTO UPDATES daily on my old 2005 Windows XP system...

Getting that many updates from Microsoft (daily) seems odd to me and I know that Microsoft has lots of updates,ect.
I don't use the auto update feature...but I do use windows update (click on start > windows update) and then choose what update(s) I want to install.
As to how much ram you need for windows XP... 512MB is the min. (in my book ) and XP runs well with 512...I prefer 1-2GB...BUT THAT'S JUST ME.
If all else fails ,you can always move the files,pictures,ect. you want to keep to the external drive and reformat the main drive...others here have already made this suggestion.

Sketch

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23 AM »

Back on line:
Backed up most important stuff on my external WD 1g hard drive.

While walkin' my dog...I met up with my microsoft neighbor down the street who... put me in touch with his local  computer bud Ryan who was "blown away" at just how messed up my DELLHELL 310 had become.
After cleaning up bunches of failed updates and errors....and also finding that my hard drive was virtually on its last "go-round!"

He installed a new drive and added another 512 ram which bumps up my rammma-ding-a lings' and spending about 3 hours of time and helping me re install my programs.

(He was less than thrilled about my new HP V-300 film and slide scanner that came with the  Arcsoft Media Impression's that he felt might have been involved with "kidnappin'" too much space.
However...re installed the Arc & Media Impression software in order to put me back in business again.
So far.....AMAZING just how beautifully this old Media Center E310 performs again...for just a tad over 150 buckeroos?
Bottom line:
I get the feeling that I am still on borrowed time?...as long as I continue to use my Media Impressions enhancement program.

Hopefully my WD external hard drive will continue to store all my higher resolution photos....

The worst thing about the Media Impression hardware seems to be that my large resolution photos lose quite a bit of detail after using the Media Impression software that is bundled with my EPSON V-300 Photo Scanner?Huh??

Thanks Kite-buds... for all your insight and help.
Neva nuff sunsets and kite beach scenes.

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:56 AM »

FWIW:  A big honkin' external drive without redundancy or back-up is just more reasons to pull out hair and scare the wee furry ones when it fails.

"It happened before. It will happen again. It's just a question of when."  ~ Armageddon, Title Sequence.

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document