GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Foil for Kayaking?  (Read 2383 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: March 29, 2009, 09:23 PM »

I've spent quite a bit of time with the parafoil 7.5 but am looking for something a bit more capable of keeping airborne with the brief lulls in the breezes where i float. Relaunching after a drop takes quite a bit of time to get it up again.

I've heard a sled might be a better way to go.

Anyone been there, done that?

(i've got no rudder, so an SLK is my only option)

Thanks,
-dano
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:45 PM »

HIt up Thief for that one.  Besides kites and legless dogs...he's pretty deep into Kayaking!   Wink

Thief?Huh

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:16 AM »

get yo-self a Kayakite made by NewTech....best one i have found and used!!!! designed by Phillip McConachie.....it is a good sized sled with a good packaging system for the deck....

down wind runs are great.....there will only be slipping sideways if the wind shifts perpendicular to the boat.....

make sure you carry a knife.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dano

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:17 PM »

Thanks Rob,

I'll give that one a look.

edit: I just looked. That thing is cool! I'm calling on Steve now to get me one.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:24 PM by Dano » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:01 PM »

Hey there...

I've used a Power Sled 24 to power my 17' canoe. What a BLAST ! Even with 3 people and a full cooler onboard, we were easily going 5+ knots in a 15mph breeze.

~Rob.

Dano

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:25 PM »

I received my new Kayakite today, ordered from Gone With The Wind.

This thing is COOL!
Now I just need it to warm up a bit, so i can get out and give it a try.
Pics will come... asap

Dano

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21 PM »

This kite has proven to be quite a step up from the parafoil!
I finally got it out this last weekend. It was Awesome!

I forgot to hookup a caribeaner to get my towpoint out in front like i like it, and i think i'll hook up the the supplied drogue about 10' down from the kite next time to get it more into the power zone, because it didn't want to slide up the line as i thought it would.

normofthenorth

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:02 PM »

Looks good! But I don't understand why you need a rudder to benefit from 2 strings. If you want to be pulled 10 or 50 degrees offline from straight downwind, you're stuck with a SLK, but you can do that with a 2-stringer. OK, you still can't go 90 degrees to the wind or upwind (as you could with a rudder and some kind of "edging" like a lee-board), but isn't something better than nothing?

Norm in Toronto
Dano

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 10:02 PM »

2 strings (or Lines) require 2 hands.

Without a rudder, the paddle in my lap is needed to correct my heading.

Only having 2 hands are better than nothing"
normofthenorth

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 11:18 AM »

You need a bar, with one line on each end. They even make a model or two with a reel in the middle (Reel-bar?), so you can reel a kite in and out while keeping it under control. I even built one, but it's not heavy-duty enough to give you much kayak speed. Handy for flying 2-stringers off a boat, though. . .

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography