GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta kite re-launch  (Read 2046 times)
tagmanone
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 19, 2010, 10:47 PM »

Having played around with a 125cm kite for some time I have decided to get more serious but have a problem with re-launching. When the kite ends up on it's front is there any way of getting it back up. I seem to have tried everything I can think of but end up walking back to the kite. I am a new member to gwtforum, it looks good.
Many thanks
Tagmanone>Sad
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:46 AM »

if you're talking about when the kite is face down on the ground with the nose towards you, it's time to walk to the kite. the rest of the positions the kite can be in are all more recoverable than this one.

there is one advanced recovery from this position called a dead launch but the ground, the kite, the flyer, and the wind all have to be in harmony for it work so generally speaking, it's time to walk to the kite.

sorry bud, but it's exercise and an opportunity to reflect on what happened.

Fdeli
tagmanone

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 02:12 AM »

Many thanks. These were my thoughts as well.
Tagmanone
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:30 AM »

Going to the kite to relaunch is called  --   The Walk Of Shame  ---------     Cry  Cry  Cry    Cheesy  Cheesy
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:04 AM »

The Walk of Shame also gives you a chance to check all the connections to be sure the rods and standoffs are fully seated. Flying around after crashes with loose rods could lead to breakage and a Walk of Reframe.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26 AM »

Lylenc....funny...reframe....hehehe

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:21 AM »

The walk is also known as the 'Walk of contemplation' for the reasons fidelio gave, time to ponder why when you saw that nose falling forward didn't give a quick pop to roll it back.

I've thought over that question toooo many times  Angry   Cheesy

Some people make a dead launch look so easy, I gave up on them years ago, hard on the kite and I've never been successful.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:25 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:52 AM »

When the kite ends up on it's front is there any way of getting it back up

It depends how awesome you are feeling that day.

The straightforward, commonplace Dead Launch is OK but the true Dualline Demigod would settle for nothing less than a DeadYof, preferably synchronised with a Pairs partner.

Wink

But seriously.... these kinds of launches are a) highly advanced b) only work on hard, smooth surfaces and c) kite killers even if you get them right. Leave these for later. Much, much later. Take a pleasant walk. Say hi to your kite. Reset and start again.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 07:15 PM »

The Dead Launch is definitely something to try on someone else's kite.

Hmm...I wonder if that it why no one ever asks if I want to fly their Fearless.

Now it is starting to make sense!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 07:43 PM »

A few older kites with curvy LEs were relatively easy to dead launch given the right conditions. You'll see the move in a lot of Prism videos. Even on those kites it creates a lot of wear & tear. Avoid the temptation.

Allen, AKA kitehead
King-J

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 06:18 AM »

I've tried the dead launch in a number of conditions, with little to no success, (Prizm video make it look so easy Angry) all I see it doing is putting a lot of wear and tear on the kite. I have gotten pretty efficient when at the beach in dry sand to scoop sand over the nose and giving slack to one line while pulling on the other to turn it to the side and then giving it a quick pop to relaunch. There was a video here once showing this method, this is the only way I'm able to launch in the dead position.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Moonfog

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 08:24 AM »

Meh...don't be afraid of the dead launch. If you're on short grass, firm dirt or sand and the wind is moving nicely, give it a go. You may surprise yourself. Be warned though, this move can be a kite killer!

BTW, don't try it with a 4D!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document