GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 12:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a kite  (Read 1850 times)
Jwonni
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 18, 2010, 05:02 AM »

Hi all, new UK member here.

I have been reading through the forums and have only flown a couple of times i have worked out how to keep the kite in the air and moved it in the direction i want but not landing or anything like that.

I was using a cheap Marks and Spencers kite but damaged it while still learning to keep it in the air. Looking for a new kite to continue my learning. The M&S one has a 170cm wingspan which i think seemed a nice size and gave a nice pull (i am 17+ stone so unlikely any of the kites i can afford are going to be a problem)

Not wanting to spend much and dont need anything too advanced. Been looking at:

HQ Limbo £30 (seen one for £22ish)
HQ Bolero £35
HQ Yukon £37
Prism Jazz £40
Prism Nexus £50

Been looking at these as they appear to be the two large names in kites and known to produce quality. Wanting to learn to fly better and maybe even learn a couple of tricks (not sure what tricks are basic but somnething like half axle which appears to be a fancy turn?)

Not wanting to spend ore than i need to as only just starting and may not even get into it all properly, BUT dont want to spend so little that i get somethign that wont do what i want it to.

All these kites seem to come with around 65-80 foot of line but i was reading on here that most people tend to use over 100foot otherwise you run out of air quickly so i assume i'd want some longer lines too.

Please fire as many opinions at me as possible with explanations so i understand why you are giving me certain pieces of advice.

Thankyou
Jonny
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:37 AM »

I would find the biggest HQ of the 5 that you mention. Bigger's better for learning, and the two Prism kites that you mention aren't very good. They look nice, but they're small in person, and I've heard alot of people having issues with the Nexus recently. If you like Prisms, the Quantum or Hypnotist would be  the place to start.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:48 AM »

I'd suggest a Prism Hypnotist. They're a bit larger and slower. (more time to think & react) They're built to take the abuse learning inflicts on kites. Cost just a bit more money than the kites you listed, but not a lot. They come with lines and a Prism primer video. The Hypnotist is not only capable of getting you flying, its also able to preform all the basic tricks. They cost around $100 usd new and a bit less used.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Jwonni

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:57 AM »

Thanks for the replies, The hypnotist is definately not in my price range until i know this is going to be a longer term hobby. $100 seems not too bad but over here they cost £115ish from what i can find which is like $179 according to google.

The Quantum is around £80 which to be honest still seems steep. Dont get me wrong i have read good things and its a nice BIG kite at 213cm but i was thinking more about the quantum as a next step up for next year once (again) i know i have enough interest to spend that bit more. (its double the cost of the ones i am about to mention below)

The Yukon and Bolero appear to be the larger of the ones i mentioned at 163 and 164 cm. Does anyone have experience with these models? not really sure what makes a kite able to do tricks and others not or if all of them can really do the tricks if the person steering knows what they are doing.

I am quite lucky with location as i have three different beaches within 10 minutes drive (live on a penisula) and as i am also in the country plenty of moorland/countryside/fields
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:37 AM »

the hypnotist is a little more but should come with the prism vid which is VERY helpful especially if you fly alone  http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=30
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:40 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:11 AM »

Thanks for the replies, The hypnotist is definately not in my price range until i know this is going to be a longer term hobby. $100 seems not too bad but over here they cost £115ish from what i can find which is like $179 according to google.

You could probably order one from Steve (GWTW store) for less than 115 quid. You might also try posting in the "wanted" section of the swap meet. I've seen a few of them sell for a reasonable price used.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33 AM »

Please fire as many opinions at me as possible with explanations so i understand why you are giving me certain pieces of advice.

1) Whilst you might get good advice here, you'll get more UK-centric advice over at Fractured Axel - also known as The Other Place™.

2) If you intend taking this even remotely seriously don't waste money on a very small kite. 6'~180cm is about the minimum I'd hand to a beginner. Robustness is a better quality than advanced flying capabilities to start off with.

3) You might well get a great price from GWTW but that lovely Mr. Cameron will also take some money from you when you try to pick it up in the UK. Remember to factor that in.

4) If you can, try before you buy. Go to a festival, a kite club meeting or just a get together. Again, FA is the place to help you there.

5) FA has a lending library of kites.  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37 AM »

Hi Jonny,

I'm also UK based, in Lincolnshire, Where are you?

Of the kites you have mentioned and the things you want to do, I would say that the HQ Yukon is probably your best bet.  The Bolero is nice but not very tricky, the Limbo I haven't tried but I would guess it would be the same.  The Yukon is an older design, but it will certainly get you started on basic tricks.  It also comes with a good case and a decent set of lines and handles.  If you could stretch a little more the HQ Jive is a very good starter kite at around £70 ( or the Salsa at £55 ish) both are more capable and will take you further than the Yukon. There are some videos of the Yukon and the Jive on Youtube.

Some people prefer 100' (30 m) lines but 75' ( 25 m) is usually fine

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Jwonni

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51 AM »

Thanks for all these replys they are helping.

Zippy thanks for that re fractured axel i had been trying to find kite forums but everythign coming up on google searches related to powerkiting with buggys and board or the forums hadn't been touches for a couple of years. Only found this one by luck (think it was mentioned on nosediversforum on yuku. So will check this one out now (though i will stick around here too)

Hi Hadge, I am in the North West, Cumbria (The Lake District)

Thankyou for your advice
flat6nut
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55 AM »

I have a Bolero that I bought when I started flying. I like the kite alot but knew it was not going to be a good kite to learn tricks. Although it is a great kite for carving thru the sky...if you have 10+ mph wind. This is the kite my wife is now currently using to learn control on.

Michael
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 02:01 PM »

I still keep my old Bolero in my bag for those days when the wind just gets stupidly strong and way too gusty to trick anything . A set of 30m 150lb lines and just let it bomb around the sky...great fun! when it crashes it bounces!!  Grin

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography