GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the Dark Side  (Read 2121 times)
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 19, 2010, 11:23 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the Dark side. I have a Rev.1.5 SLE and a couple old VCR tapes 10 min. each and thats it. No friends to teach me .The tapes are basic putting the kite together and flying . The guy makes it look so easy. I have yet to try it but I'm sure it's not that easy. I'll keep reading and waiting ,for the wind , and when all looks and feals right I'll give it a go.....I'm hooked and haven't even flown the thing!!!   I've had it for 10 days or so and soon it will be in the air. Just hope it tends to stay in the air..........Tom   ...P.S. any last minute advise?

TRY Mayfly
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52 PM »

DEFINITELY... Check out John Barresi's tutorials on the KiteLife (and Revolution) forums!

...and be patient with yourself! You'll be up and flyin' in no time!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:50 AM »

It's not like flying a dual; you don't push or pull to make it turn. You turn it by tipping the top of the handle down on the side you want to turn on. (Right turn: tip the handle of your right hand forward.) To launch it, make sure your lines are equal in length first. Ideally you should have two ground stakes for each of your handles and stand the kite up so that the wind pressure pushes it back a bit and puts some tension in your lines. Check to see that you don't have any twists in your line.

When everything looks good, take your handles and rotate the tops towards you a bit until the kite lifts off the ground. Tip the handles forward to bring it back down. Practice launching and landing until you're familiar with the handle movements and then test out tipping one handle forward to spin the kite right or left.

The best wind speed is probably less than 9 mph but more than 5 or 6. You don't want the wind too strong or too light when you learn to fly your quad.

Bob D.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:28 AM »

Ray Merry taught me how to fly a quad in 1997 or so with this method:
take a rubber band....
put it around both wrists so your hands are together.....
now you are "forced" to twist your wrists instead of hauling back on one handle ala dual line kite.

i then taught myself a bit of finesse by getting the kite up in the air a bit and doing small movements to keep it in one spot...you learn how little of a movement you need!

keep at it...
where are you? there might be quad fliers nearby that can help you out....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:38 AM »

I was told by the Hadziki's to lock my elbows and follow the kite with my arms. Good simple beginning instructions Bob.

In my experience
day one: up, spin over, crash, don't get frustrated, day two will be better even if it doesn't seem like it now
day two: you'll keep it in the air longer, but still crash, you'll be successful at some spins, circles, hovers, dives, etc.
day three: it'll all start clicking

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:03 PM »

I learned on my own with a Rev II, without video or other flyers help. Since I used it for my high wind kite, when dualies were too hard to trick, that didn't help the learning curve either. As mentioned above, little wrist movements go a long ways with a quad. I didn't fix my elbows or wrists together, since I didn't know about that technique. It didn't take long to figure out arm motion gives you a side slide motion instead of a rotation, so one less crutch to deal with.

The best advice I got was from Lolly (Rev representative) at a festival. She told me to paste the center of the kite against a cloud or some object way off on the horizon. Practice super-slow motion spins that pivot around the center, with the center staying in one spot against your target spot in the sky.

That's when I figured out I was over-steering - slow comprehension and learner before that.  Cry  Instead of the need for speed (Top Gun) my goal should have been grow with slow ... ok, lame!  Roll Eyes

Give me a break, I'm only on my second drink tonight. My first Friday night nap shouldn't be too far off.  Embarrassed I hope I wake up in time to go to bed ... I hate staying up too late before going to bed.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:47 AM »

The very first thing fellow Rev flyers did for me when I met them was set my lines up with extended brake lines. Once that happened my kite was oh so much easier to learn on AND it stopped going up,doing a 180 and crashing.....sigh....man I hated that!!!!
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:11 PM »

Tons and tons of in-depth Rev tips, techniques and more on the Rev forum...

http://www.revkites.com/forum

And the aforementioned video tutorials...

http://www.learnkites.com

Welcome to another side of the kiting world, sun shines on both sometimes. Smiley

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change