GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 12:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rebuilding my kites .... (question)  (Read 1250 times)
skabt
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 23, 2010, 11:14 AM »

My question is, if i rebuild my kite (NSE) to look like SD, frame, figure and stand of is 100% NSE (use old frame), would it affect my kite flying, behavior, attitude ?

I'm not trying to copy any kites (just some example), cause i don't think i have skill to redo complete same sail (design) like before ...

newbie, just about time to redo my kite after few month of newbie flying and hard ground Smiley

Thanks

skabt

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:23 AM »

poor ROI, 94 view but zero reply ....
no one done this before ?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45 AM »

the question becomes what are you trying to accomplish? do you want to try different frames and bridles in a kite you have, then sure you can do it. It can be time consuming and at the end you may put the kite back to the way it was. If you think you can turn one kite into another, then i would say good luck but I dont think you will make it happen. If you want to make a kite try an orange, vortex or others, the plans and some of the step by step is available on the net and some fly very well.

Sine Metu!
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:54 AM »

If you're using the NSE frame etc are you saying that you just want to make another NSE sail but with eyes on it?

Since its such an iconic design that would be unethical IMO but I would guess it would just fly like the NSE you started with

skabt

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12 PM »

If you're using the NSE frame etc are you saying that you just want to make another NSE sail but with eyes on it?

Since its such an iconic design that would be unethical IMO but I would guess it would just fly like the NSE you started with

sorry for poor english Smiley
What i want is build (another sail) for my kite (broken sail Cry ) with complete new design (easier and cheaper for me), so my question is : would the kite fly like before ? same behavior ? cause the sail panel will be totally different Smiley

Thanks
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:23 PM »

There are a couple of things that will cause this to vary.

Sail material, construction technique and how the panels are laid out.

Sail material varies greatly and will directly effect the way the kite performs.  If you use the same type of material as the original then this shouldn't make any difference.  But if you replaced an Icarex material with standard Ripstop or even mylar then that will greatly effect not only the way the kite flies but also the wind conditions that the kite needs to fly properly. Each material will have a different weight which is very important to how the kite performs in different wind conditions.

Construction Technique:  How the kite is made will also make a difference on how the kite flies. Every seam in the kite adds weight, if you are planning on doing an applique or adding in additional panels, this could increase the weight of the kite.  Also, how those seams are put together will make a difference on durability and sail stretch.  Reinforcement material is strategically placed on the kite to help maintain the shape and durability of the sail.  Changing any of these could be an issue and will surely effect how the kite performs.

How the panels are laid out: High end kites will usually incorporate material biasing.  This is a technique that aligns or cross aligns the bias of the material to give a desired effect of the kite while flying.  Biasing the material can improve strength and reduce stretch.  Certain panels are sewn in certain directions to give the sail strength and reduce the need for additional reinforcements.  This too will directly effect how the kite performs.

Personally I am not a kite builder but have learned these things from talking with many professional kite builders and designers.  Perhaps one of them will be able to give more direct and technical input on this.

I don't want to say that you shouldn't build a sail, in some cases you can rebuild your sail and actually improve on the performance.  If you did decide to change from a nylon to an Icarex sail, you might be able to improve the light wind capability or you could change the distribution of the weight of the kite to improve certain tricks....  By building your own sail, you should be able to improve the looks of the kite - at least in your own eyes anyways. Smiley

Hope this helps.

skabt

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:32 PM »

There are a couple of things that will cause this to vary.

Sail material, construction technique and how the panels are laid out.

Sail material varies greatly and will directly effect the way the kite performs.  If you use the same type of material as the original then this shouldn't make any difference.  But if you replaced an Icarex material with standard Ripstop or even mylar then that will greatly effect not only the way the kite flies but also the wind conditions that the kite needs to fly properly. Each material will have a different weight which is very important to how the kite performs in different wind conditions.

Construction Technique:  How the kite is made will also make a difference on how the kite flies. Every seam in the kite adds weight, if you are planning on doing an applique or adding in additional panels, this could increase the weight of the kite.  Also, how those seams are put together will make a difference on durability and sail stretch.  Reinforcement material is strategically placed on the kite to help maintain the shape and durability of the sail.  Changing any of these could be an issue and will surely effect how the kite performs.

How the panels are laid out: High end kites will usually incorporate material biasing.  This is a technique that aligns or cross aligns the bias of the material to give a desired effect of the kite while flying.  Biasing the material can improve strength and reduce stretch.  Certain panels are sewn in certain directions to give the sail strength and reduce the need for additional reinforcements.  This too will directly effect how the kite performs.

Personally I am not a kite builder but have learned these things from talking with many professional kite builders and designers.  Perhaps one of them will be able to give more direct and technical input on this.

I don't want to say that you shouldn't build a sail, in some cases you can rebuild your sail and actually improve on the performance.  If you did decide to change from a nylon to an Icarex sail, you might be able to improve the light wind capability or you could change the distribution of the weight of the kite to improve certain tricks....  By building your own sail, you should be able to improve the looks of the kite - at least in your own eyes anyways. Smiley

Hope this helps.

thanks it help a lot ... (any thanks button here ? )
I think is not the right time for me to rebuild my kite yet Smiley
Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document