GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Landing on the tip !  (Read 4249 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: August 23, 2010, 06:43 PM »

I recently saw a kite tricking video from youtube and the kite always landing on its wing tip(left or right) between a series of tricks like rolling susan, axel cascade, comete, lazy susan etc.  I never seen anyone doing so many tip stands between tricks.  It is very impressive to look at.  Shocked  Is it difficult to do in real life ?
Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:19 PM »

Best thing is to practice holding the kite on a tip first so you get the feel for how it feels and how to balance the kite.  This can be fun to work on just on its own - you can start with short lines or even the leaders to get a feel for it.  Lean the kite back quite a bit and its easy to keep it balanced.

From there you can work landing the kite in that orientation.  It's easier to do from a 45 degree angle to start with.  Then, straight down.

Good luck.  I was going to try to describe how to do the actual input, but I can't quit decide how to explain it - maybe someone else can.  Best I can think it to call it a half-axel-like input of maybe more of a snap-stall where you time it to have the kite leaning back with the stabbing leg forward to hit the ground, then maintain balancing it.

6 kite tom
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:46 PM »

Hi Edmond,

Learning to land on the tips can be hazardous to your lower leading edges and nocks until you get the timing right. Here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Practice balancing the kite on tips, as suggested above.

2. Practice the coin toss.

3. Fly with something on the horizon behind the kite and use that as a reference point to simulate the ground. When you can consistently stop your wing tip on that imaginary point you are ready for landing on the real ground.

4. Try landing on real ground during low winds at first.

5. Fly across the window slowly, just a foot or two off of the ground, with one wingtip pointing directly at the ground, then step forward quickly until the tip touches the ground.

6. Try step 5 coming down at a slight angle and slowly increase the angle as your timing improves.

With practice you will be able to increase the accuracy and speed at which you can land this way by doing what is essentially a modified snap stall. That is a stall with one wing tip pointing directly at the ground vice both wingtips parallel to the ground. You can make the final touchdown by leaning forward, extending your arms forward or stepping forward as the tip gets close to the ground.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:54 PM »

Tip Stab - landing the kite on one wingtip.
Tip Stand - holding the kite on one wingtip.

What to say ? It's landing the kite at an angle then keeping it there. If you can do a two point landing, just turn the kite 90 (or turn it 90 less) before you hit the ground. Then move onto the Black Hole to show the kite and the ground just how much you hate them both.

As for Tip Stands.... anything less than 8 minutes isn't even trying.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:11 PM »

Edmond,

Martin - MAMA74 has some great studies and tutorials for learning tricks.

Check your personal messages.
cids

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:30 PM »

Black Hole ... very interesting.
Is there a video available regarding this trick ?

Skywatch 1 wind meter
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:30 PM »

Sorry to digress but...Wow! Really...  Huh

https://sites.google.com/site/dpmama74/kites/personal-best : Taz in a row (fly left, taz, fly right, taz, fly left....): 122

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
zippy8

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:56 PM »

Black Hole ... very interesting. Is there a video available regarding this trick ?
The only two related videos I can find are:-

• misnamed - it's from horizontal flight which just demonstrates that people have been getting trick names wrong for years
  • is a variation called a Suzuki - dummy one way, flick back the other to stab

If you really want to do the Black Hole you'll be wanting a flatter kite than is commonplace today. If I'm feeling brave I might give the Element a shot at it but spar breakages are~were always hovering in the air with this trick so... perhaps not.

Mike.

RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:32 AM »

If you really want to do the Black Hole you'll be wanting a flatter kite than is commonplace today. If I'm feeling brave I might give the Element a shot at it but spar breakages are~were always hovering in the air with this trick so... perhaps not.

Miguel Rodriguez and Brian Champie flying the Cal Wasp.  No more need be said on the subject of Black Holes  Cool

KEY ELEMENTS: ►Clear and decisive stab. ►Held on the spiked wingtip for minimum 2 seconds.

I want to point out the bolded portion above.  Simply "landing on a wingtip" is not a tip stab.  I've seen plenty of people stall just above the ground and float down onto a wingtip and call that a "tip stab".  It's not.  The wingtip has to be driven into the ground quickly and with considerable force.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:37 AM by RonG » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56 AM »

Yeah, that's a tip stab.

A Black Hole is even more so.

Brian explained it to me as a vertical side slide to a one point landing.

He starts his slide into the ground about 15ft up. He then goes on to drive it down into the ground in about One Second, maybe less.

It is very impressive.
zippy8

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:27 AM »

The wingtip has to be driven into the ground quickly and with considerable force.

Exhibit A.

Mike.

cids

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39 AM »

The wingtip has to be driven into the ground quickly and with considerable force.

Exhibit A.

Mike.

This is a violent act.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   
May be I should save it for another day or year since I don't want to kill my Fxxkixg kite.  Wink Wink Wink

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 02:19 PM »

Then move onto the Black Hole to show the kite and the ground just how much you hate them both.

Mike.

Now thats funny!  Cheesy

cids

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:26 PM »

What are the sequence of tricks that I need to learn before I'm ready for the Black Hole ?

Steps to learn the Black Hole...
1. learn to stand on wing tip(left and right)
2. learn to stand on wing tip after lazy susan or rolling susan etc.
3. snap stall
4. tip stab
5. and then the ultimate Black H Smiley le  ?

Or is there a better steps or sequence of tricks for the BH ?

Is this the Black Hole move on 1min. 26sec. in this video ?
TNT Std.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:31 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 03:18 PM »

What are the sequence of tricks that I need to learn before I'm ready for the Black Hole ?

Steps to learn the Black Hole...
1. learn to stand on wing tip(left and right)
2. learn to stand on wing tip after lazy susan or rolling susan etc.
3. snap stall
4. tip stab
5. and then the ultimate Black H Smiley le  ?

Or is there a better steps or sequence of tricks for the BH ?

Is this the Black Hole move on 1min. 26sec. in this video ?
TNT Std.

No, that is not a Black Hole.  It's a variation on a tip stab.

Seriously, I doubt there are very many modern kites that would perform it correctly.  It's a trick that exploits the characteristics of a fast, flat-sailed kite, and there aren't very many of those left in general circulation.  In fact, a good old-fashioned powerful tip stab is not really a strong suit of today's deeper-sailed polyvalent kites.  This was evident at a lot of our Tricks Parties - competitors were perfectly comfortable when asked to perform a Jacobs Ladder or Rolling Cascade as a compulsory, but sweated bullets when assigned a "simple" tip stab.

Just about every advance in sport kite design comes with a trade-off.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change