GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 12:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Landing on the tip !  (Read 4458 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 03:50 PM »

Couldn't find a video of a Black Hole, but this slo-mo animation shows how much straight DOWN drive there should be at minimum.

It should be a very fluid, very agressive, move. Tough to make look good. The noise of a kite like the Wasp adds to the drama.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:52 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31 AM »

Not a black hole but I stumbled on this
Kite Tip Stab

while looking for the one Mark Reed does with an Eclipse UL on one of the Prism trick videos. That is a really nice driving tip stab.
Don't suppose it ever found its way on to you tube?

EDIT Hah! it did - nice stab here at 2:08
Prism Trick Show
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:37 AM by inewham » Logged

Mr.Derrick
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43 AM »

The Spike including Tipstand even is good Positon for a nice take off. I like versions as:
Spike - Flapjack(out of Tipstand) -Tipstand
Spike -Taz (-Tipstand)
Spike - Slot (-Tipstand)     @ 0:35
Curious Tip Landing & Tipstand to Slot

And:
a good, hard spike is one of the best ways for showing outstanding people that this, what your are doing with your kite, is deliberately - an comet (for example) looks for those ones often only like wild line-rowing.

greetings from Berlin- Germany
Dirk
My Kite Picture Page: http://de.zooomr.com/photos/elduderino/sets/38621/
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 03:11 AM »

Steps to learn the Black Hole...

6. Stock up on replacement spars.
7. See 6.

Also from Prism is this. Again NOT what I'd call a Black Hole (but then again people have been known to disagree with me... oddly). IIRC the Black Hole is a powered up vertical dive, then a snap 90 turn but the kite still travels vertically down (a vertical side slide as it were). You essentially pull the lower wing into the ground.

I may have to pull my recently acquired Cali Wasp out but I don't want to hurt it either. What a dilemma. Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10 AM »

I may have to pull my recently acquired Cali Wasp out but I don't want to hurt it either. What a dilemma. Embarrassed

Mike.

"Don't take it out unless you are going to whack it!"

http://www.kitefart.com/

A wasp is the last kite that should be coddled.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 09:15 AM »

Also from Prism is this. Again NOT what I'd call a Black Hole (

That's what I call a classic tip stab. Firm enough so folks know you mean business, but not really harsh. Mark does nice looking stabs. A harder stab used to be called a Spike.

Allen, AKA kitehead
bryan beasley

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:39 AM »

Get thee an 'Element' (or a 'Masque' actually thinking out loud) and a bunch of spare sticks and whack away. What you'll find though, is that if you are able to smash the tip 'straight' into the ground you'll be fine. It's when you're drifting sideways that breakages will happen.

Bryan
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 11:52 AM »

And of course the follow-on ollie take off attempt with the wingtip tip 3" in the ground...   Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02 PM »

.....with the wingtip tip 3" in the ground...    Cheesy
You can take a break, go for a piss and the kite still standing there.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   See. No hands.  Wink

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
John Welden

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 06:20 PM »

Yeah, that's a tip stab.

A Black Hole is even more so.

Brian explained it to me as a vertical side slide to a one point landing.

He starts his slide into the ground about 15ft up. He then goes on to drive it down into the ground in about One Second, maybe less.

It is very impressive.

Exactly right Jim. That damn WASP could tip stab (vertical side slide) from the top of the window.   Roll Eyes

A good tip stab is one of the best most dramatic moves. Excellent for ballet routines.
FlyingJoe

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52 PM »

That damn WASP could tip stab (vertical side slide) from the top of the window.   Roll Eyes
Hmmm.  Mine must be broken then.  Or else I'm just not whacking it hard enough?
 Cheesy
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 10:16 PM »

Exactly right Jim. That damn WASP could tip stab (vertical side slide) from the top of the window.   Roll Eyes

Look at 3:42 - 3:50 of this video. The only one that I have seen on the web. A vertical tip stab/slide from the top of the window down into the tip on the ground.

Jinx Sport Kite by Focus Kite Designs - Demo Video

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 10:18 PM »

It's the single most impressive trick to me, so simple but it takes a lot of control.

Spending an afternoon watching Brian Champie slamming Black Hole after Black Hole ranks right up there as one of my best days flying a kite.

One thing: you need a lot of wind. Brian was looking for about 15mph before he felt good about them. When the wind was lighter he was pulling the kite right out of the air.

Yeah, that's a tip stab.

A Black Hole is even more so.

Brian explained it to me as a vertical side slide to a one point landing.

He starts his slide into the ground about 15ft up. He then goes on to drive it down into the ground in about One Second, maybe less.

It is very impressive.

A good tip stab is one of the best most dramatic moves. Excellent for ballet routines.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 11:19 PM »

Lam showed me a cool trick at WSIKF - he called it the hatchet (I think the tricks been around awhile).

As I recall, you zig-zag down the window and end with a tip tap.  It was pretty cool to watch him to do these again and again in the 15+ mph winds we had on Thursday.  I wish I had taken some video.

6 kite tom
FlyingJoe

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 11:32 PM »

Spending an afternoon watching Brian Champie slamming Black Hole after Black Hole ranks right up there as one of my best days flying a kite.
Ah yes.  How I miss the Bay Area for reasons just like this!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum