GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Suggestions? - Sorry a bit long  (Read 2475 times)
sealcove
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: August 24, 2010, 07:34 AM »

This is a bit of a hypothetical question as I am probably not quite ready to purchase anything, but it is fun to ponder the possibilities and have some targets to watch for.  As I mentioned in the R-Sky source thread, I have been dormant for a while, and I am just beginning to get a picture of the changed kite maker landscape.  I was flying quite a bit from 95-2001, and my kite bag is predominately Prism kites which served me well.  I checked in via the Prism site forums a few weeks back as I awakened and got a little guidance on the current Prism line; I have already picked up the two kites that are most likely to suit me (Zephyr &  4D - sorry I rediscovered GWTW after getting them, otherwise I would have purchased them here).  So far so good with those and I have been getting my pre 2000 Illusion out, which is still a great kite.  That said, after doing some reading here and other places, as well as inspecting Prisms line, I am starting to see that Prism is doing different things these days.  It seems that I will want to look elsewhere for higher end sport kites (I am not forsaking Prism, but I am recognizing that their line is shifting and there are some other great looking makers out there now).

Before I pose my question, I should add that I am just an enthusiast that enjoys nice kites.   When I let up flying nearly ten years ago I was fairly component at the common tricks of the day (axles, 540s, pinwheels, fades, lazy susans, and some basic combinations).  I have had very little exposure to other fliers and other kites, and that is not likely to change any time soon, which is fine because my primary aspiration is simply to get out and enjoy flying at whatever level I am at.  That said, I like the idea of playing with designs that will slowly let me learn some of the newer tricks.

This is all a long winded lead into asking for suggestions or direction as I explore what is out there now.  So far I have been interested in R-Sky and Blue Moon (the Exile in particular looks like it might be right up my alley).  I am seeing quite a few other unfamiliar names as I sift through the forums, but it is hard to know how these different makers compare to each other in terms of build and design quality.  Who else should I be looking at? I think my primary interest is in the standard range (I mostly fly in the 4-10 window), but I would also like to find a replacement for my Ozone.  I definitely like stuff that is well made.

I kind of feel like I just woke up from a coma and the world had changed completely, so any guidance or education on this new landscape would be appreciated. 

Thanks, Douglas

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:54 AM »

(Tim) Benson Kites
Jest of Eve
Focus Kite Designs
Skyburner

I can't help but think that if you haven't already been there, that you would probably enjoy some sleepless night at www.kiteclique.com.

ATB,
Sam

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:00 AM »

Besides Blue Moon there's Skyburner linked in the adverts on the right, the Widowmaker is still a great kite to learn some of the newer tricks on, the new Ocius is getting good reviews also, I've not flown one. Of course all the links on the right are excellent sources for top end kites. Focus makes a few models of high end kites that have been received very well. Then there's Will Sturdy of Sturdy Designs, a newer builder and his Saber II is also being well received. Sky Sport Designs by Lam Hoac has built a very good reputation and following whose line now has three current models to choose from.

From over the pond Jest of Eve's Talons have a loyal following and are excellent. There are many other excellent imports, Benson, Kitehouse etc. I'll let others pipe in with rec's on those.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:12 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:26 AM »

I should add that I am just an enthusiast that enjoys nice kites.

Then there's nothing for you here  Tongue

which is fine because my primary aspiration is simply to get out and enjoy flying at whatever level I am at.

The madness continues. Huh

it is hard to know how these different makers compare to each other in terms of build and design quality

A while ago (nigh on three years), over at The Other Place™, we did this. As I said there, the second chart is what I consider the result for back then. I wouldn't describe it as definitive but neither would I call it inaccurate.

Whilst there are certain bigger names even in the world of boutique kitemakers that won't represent a mistake to buy from it is certainly worthwhile taking a chance with a smaller, lesser known outfit. For one thing if you don't like it you can almost always sell it at only a modest loss here in the Swap Meet. For another you might discover a hidden diamond. I took a slight chance on Swedish kitemaker Sportkitedesign (no links, utilise the search engine of your choice) with #2 of their kite, the Seven, and it's as well put together as anything I own.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:45 AM »

Sportkitedesign is a sponsor of this forum.

You will find the link to their site on the right side of this page.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:51 AM »

Sportkitedesigns is linked on the right, no search engine required  Wink

Another couple here in the States. Shawn Tinkham of Viper Sport Kites has a few models. And Matt Brown will make you a Synthisis Web which will gaurantee you're not flying a look alike kite on the field.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:54 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:21 AM »

This is what happens when you use an indiscriminate ad-blocker

So yes then... one of these.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
sealcove

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:37 AM »

Wow, I ask and I get enough info to keep me busy for quite a while!  Thanks.

-Indigo_wolf - Thanks for the suggestions and I had not seen that site, which looks outstanding!
-Zippy8 - Those are very helpful poll results that give me a good idea of how the different makers compare.

Now I regret jumping on the Zephyr so quickly.  It seems like a decent kite so far, but had I spent some time looking first I probably wold have gone in a different direction.  There are some very attractive looking kites out there to consider, and now I need to figure out what to sell so I can get a few more without attracting my wifes attention. Smiley

Douglas

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:46 AM »

There are some very attractive looking kites out there to consider, and now I need to figure out what to sell so I can get a few more without attracting my wifes attention. Smiley

Before my kite addiction was inevitably found out by my wife, I used to try to buy them in the same color scheme - that way, to the casual eye, it may seem that you have less kites.  I have a friend whose wife enjoys kites almost as much as he does which is another strategy if there is some interest.

Then, I just asked her to ask her friends how much their husbands spend on their hobbys (golf, sailboats, skiing, cars, etc).  She hasn't mentioned it much since then, but I don't buy too many kites anymore as well.

Good luck.

6 kite tom
GEB

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22 PM »

Too many kites.  Huh
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32 PM »

For fun? The Ocius, hands down

For the tricks you described earlier and evolution- the Mongoose, no doubt about it. The Mamba would be a good choice too. It'll do everything in the book, besides the backspin.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
aiZat
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:30 PM »

Yep! Ocius is gd! Its light, fast and strong. People in my area poll Skyburner Widowmaker first, Kitehouse Sin second and R-Sky Nirvana SE third. Of course there are more others..

Ocius Std (FOR SALE)
Ocius Sul (SOLD)
TNT Std (SOLD)
Nirvana Extend (SOLD)
Windfighter (Given away)
Opera Andante
NSE Fifteen
Wala XL
Wala Aerobe
One Team Kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37 PM »

My suggestion is always to watch lots of video with decent flyers flying the kites that you are considering. 

If you like what you see, then its probably a good an indication as any of how much you will like the kite short of being able to try it for yourself.

6 kite tom
sealcove

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 11:57 AM »

The more I look through the suggestions, which in turn lead me to threads with all kinds of great side info, the more I am blown away by all of the new builders, tricks, and related toys.  Like I said earlier, I probably would not have grabbed the Zephyr had I done my homework before hand, but after thinking about it, I think I am glad to have a newer Prism offering just to compare with the older kites in the bag.  Now I will get my flying tuned up and think hard about what would be fun to fly next.  The BMK Exile looks really attractive, but so do many of the other suggestions.  Maybe I will have to try a few! Smiley

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:27 PM by sealcove » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20 PM »

Sounds like you're leaning towards the Exile. You can't go wrong. Word of warning though: it starts to pull more than I like when it's over 10ish mph though it's great in lighter wind - almost an UL. Ken does superior work!

Bob D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change