GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SLK kite line  (Read 1545 times)
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: August 26, 2010, 01:50 AM »

What's the best SLK kite line? I have some 80# and 130# braided polyester and it seems to kink/tangle easily, does the the braided Dacron not have this problem?
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:59 AM »

best? none that i am aware of...

i like laser pro dacron....have a lot of it in my bags...
i also have winders of other line too....the braided line that i got with a bird'x is nice.....
my favorite is "Tony Bisbano" line....he was a flier in the 80s/90s in the RI area who made his own....i happened to get some of it....it is a polyester braid over kevlar....love the feel of it for active kites.....

all of my small active kites i use 80 or 100# line so that it has a thick enough diameter for me to grab easily......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11 AM »

I am kinda liking the Climax braided dacron.  It looks like HQ is becoming a US distributor for them, so it is still a little scarce while HQ ramps up the channel. 

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the speckles.  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:27 AM »

The best SLK line is braided. I've not found significant differences among brands for general use. Some are hollow and others, especially as you increase in strength, are solid core. You don't want it real waxy to the point of being stiff, but a light wax can help it hold knots and give it a nice hand. The larger the diameter the easier it is to work with, but the heavier it will be in the air. Some stretch is good for SLKs as it will help absorb wind gusts.

Dacron is a trademarked (Dupont, IIRC) polyester brand. Polyester kite line is made by a variety of companies and marketed/branded by more. I've used Premier, Ashaway, and others. I prefer black but have lots of white and other colors, also.

Another thing to consider is that nylon line may tend to absorb water more readily than polyester, thereby increasing line weight.

As for kinking and tangling, I've never experienced that. Both hoop and flat winders work well for storage although the hoops are bulkier for travel.

Check out Steve's selection here...
clickable link

Bob
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35 AM »

I will add one caveat.  I really like the black dacron line that Steve carries.  However, if you are flying something active like the 61/49, I find that it disapears in grass.   The white line is hard to see against snow or Fall grass.  The Climax speckle seems the be the best of both worlds.  I expect Steve would be able to order it from HQ without too much trouble.

ATB,
Sam
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09 AM »

Dave Gomberg provides a good line for single line kites that is black.  He is probably the guru of SLKs since his company makes and sells such a  large variety and sizes of kites.   He also flies the large kites he sells..  Give his company a call.

Gardner
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:23 AM »

Or you can just order GKPI products from Steve.

He is a dealer after all.

Wink
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 12:42 AM »

Thanks for the input everybody:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document