GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 04:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: old and new Gemini ?  (Read 2062 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 27, 2010, 02:43 PM »

Hi to all...
I was away from the kites, maybe a year. I fly again. Cool Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Short question:
I have older Gemini kite with structil frame. It does not have yoyo stopers. Also It has older bridle-compicate but works very well.
I'm flying trick but not so extra as some flyers on You tube so I need thinking from experience flyers....
How much my old Gemini suffer in performance then new Gemini which Benson is making now !!!???
Thanks
boris  Smiley
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:54 PM »

Glen Warrens review of the Gemini might answer some of your questions.

Andy Warley's site gives some insight on upgrading the bridle on older style Geminis.

ATB,
Sam
coogee

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:23 PM »

Hi,
   go to Tim's Website and you will find the latest bridle for the Gemini. It is not to hard to make yourself a new bridle the same as the latest model. This is the easiest way to improve your old Gem. Similarly roll bars are not that hard to add or you can just put yoyo stops like say RSky kites. Loved my old Gem and flew it till it was very tired and then passed it on to some one who still flies it regular. Great kite!
 Mike
in.divi.dual
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:36 PM »

Hi,
   go to Tim's Website and you will find the latest bridle for the Gemini. It is not to hard to make yourself a new bridle the same as the latest model. This is the easiest way to improve your old Gem. Similarly roll bars are not that hard to add or you can just put yoyo stops like say RSky kites. Loved my old Gem and flew it till it was very tired and then passed it on to some one who still flies it regular. Great kite!
 Mike

For a few $ Tim Benson will sell / send you a new bridle. This is what I did for my Minigem.
vigli

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:20 PM »

I found the bridle
http://bensonkites.com/tech/gemini.html
hope You mean on this web site.
Yes it is good solution to order it too. :_)
I 've read that old gem is has 5cm longer leading edge. So geometry should be little different. Will it work to use new Gemini bridle for old geometry Gemini.
thanks
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 11:59 PM »

Or if your German is up to snuff.... pimp your Gem (from 2008).

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:18 PM »

kewl video of a new gem in action here:
Sleight of Hand 3

Sine Metu!
vigli

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56 AM »

mine problem is that no one in mine country fly stunt kite. I all learn by myself. Never fly next to expirience pilot.  thats why i afraid to try to change the bridle and to continue to learn on untuned kite . . i know basic trick but for more advance flying still learning -like Jac.lead. I almoust learn it. Would i go wrong if i continue to fly with old Gem bridle? How much I will lost performance .Mine only complay on old bridle it is that kite has little bit more overstear. i m thinking- maybe is better old bridle that to make worse... Thanks friends.boris
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 04:42 AM »

I can understand that you wouldn't want to change the bridle if you're not sure that you can put the new one on. I'm sure the new bridle is better than the old one but I'm not sure that it will make a huge difference in making the kite easier to trick. The Gem has always had a good reputation as a good flier so, if it were me, I'd leave it alone. I wouldn't want to mess things up with the bridle if I wasn't comfortable changing it.

I've been flying since '97 and didn't know how to axel until many years later. I didn't know there was a kite community to ask about tips. I just had fun with it. Finally I found the GWTW forum and there's a lot of knowledge here. RandyG's kite blog has some good tutorials too. I can't get to the site from work (it's blocked) but the URL looks like this: sportkiteflyer.mobile.spaces.live.com/top.aspx?fp=%2Fflst.aspx

You've got a good kite so now it's mostly time and practice.

(If you DO want to change the bridle, do it one side at a time so that you can use the other side to reference how the knots are tied.)

Bob D.
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:03 AM »

I would agree with Bob D, if you are not sure, leave it as it is.

I had a Gemini with the old type cross over bridle which I changed to the newer type bridle.  There was a difference, but not much, at least not in my hands.  Maybe a better flyer would have found a bigger difference.  If you are still learning tricks I would stick with the bridle you have, it will still let you learn a lot of tricks. There are no other kite fliers where I live and I have had to teach myself. Watch all the videos you can and keep practising.  Smiley

Look on youtube for mama74 who does some great tutorials.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:23 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18 PM »

Or if your German is up to snuff.... pimp your Gem (from 2008).

Mike.

I had a copy of this and found this way to translate it:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/translate-pdf-word-documents-online-google-translate/3553/
 It uses zoho viewer and google translate and it worked pretty well. Now if i could just find a way to save it translated i would be good

Sine Metu!
in.divi.dual
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:36 PM »

Look on youtube for mama74 who does some great tutorials.

Or here: http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials

vigli

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:15 AM »

Hi to all
Old Gem sent to Tim. I'm expecting it soon with new bridle, rall bars, new size of stand-offs, and maybe little bit cuted spreaders for more deeper sail. Tongue
Not sure but Tims know the best
...time for some plastic surgery... Cry
 Cool Cool Cool
Hadge

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41 PM »

Tim is a great guy, I'm sure he will give you all the best upgrades!  Grin

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:33 PM »

I have both the new and the old Gemini, and they're very similar. I enjoy flying them both equally, but have never flown them back to back. The kite excels at axels & 540s, and it's weakness for me is the turtle position, so lazy susans and jacob's ladders are more difficult. The new Gemini rolls up super easy, though. Never tried on the old one, because it doesn't have yoyo stoppers/roll bars.
I have learned how to fly on my own, but I still have alot to learn. I hope you've seen the Andy Wardley videos, if not, you can find them here...

http://andywardley.com/kites/movies/stoked.html

Those videos are why I keep trying to learn how to fly my Gem...

~Rob.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document