GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 08:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have new standard level one JJF- I want to refit with PX 1 & Px2 frame  (Read 2060 times)
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 26, 2010, 03:06 AM »

I just bought a standard level one -any suggestions for the leading edge or spine shafts. Should I go Sky Shark Black Diamond  for the spreaders?
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:18 AM »

What are you trying to achieve that the standard kite doesn't give you?

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:13 PM »

I am also scratching my head as the JJF is just plain awesome the way it is.  I don't think you could really improve on it much over factory, why do you see the need for a change?

dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:19 PM »

I would recommend the Excalibur frame for it. See here: http://new.levelonekites.com/content/view/94/91/

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:09 PM »

Did your kite not come with a frame?
Or do you just think the person that designed it didn't know what they were doing? And if so, why did you buy it?
Just curious.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Flying High

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14 PM »

Hi Kevin,
I think the JJF is an awesome kite but I just don't like the structil leading edge so what I am trying to achieve is to have all the frame with the same look and maybe a higher strength frame set.
orleyspal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:09 PM »

One of the sweet characteristics of the JJF (at least in my hands) is that it doesn't complain and shudder in higher (15-20mph) winds that vex its older brother (L1 Genesis) as factory framed.  Drive may suffer when the breeze drops, but it seems at home when the wind stiffens up.  Not sure there's really much advantage to be had from switching out rods.

regards,

Craig H.

---------------------
In The Bag: Prism Nexus, Prism E2, Acrobatx UL, L1 Genesis std (2), L1 Genesis UL, Silver Fox 1.5 std, L1 Jumping Jack Flash, KaoS Maelstrom, KaoS Temptation (#9)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 12:23 AM »

Hi Kevin,
I think the JJF is an awesome kite but I just don't like the structil leading edge so what I am trying to achieve is to have all the frame with the same look and maybe a higher strength frame set.

Understood - 5.5 mm leading edges can be a bit on the delicate side!

It looks like the Excalibur frame set is P200 and 5PT based - probably a good starting point.  I would err on the side of conservatism and use P200 leading edges and spine (inexpensive, very robust, similar weight to what you already have) and probably opt for Black Diamond Nitro lower spreaders.  There really isn't a huge difference between BD Nitros and 5PTs, you could use either for the lower spreaders.  One consideration is the cost difference you can get them for. 

I prefer the Nitros smooth finish and slightly better stiffness around the centre T.  But I've snapped two in the past two weeks being too aggressive with flapjack/multilazies, so they can get expensive ;-)

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Flying High

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 07:33 AM »

I would recommend the Excalibur frame for it. See here: http://new.levelonekites.com/content/view/94/91/

Hi Jurgen,

I like the way you think and I think your closer to truth that I need to achieve. You have to look at all the JJF's, std's through to customs. You know I do like the odd custom kite. LOL. At this stage I still want the spine to be PX2 the leading edge PX1 or PX2, not sure.   
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52 AM »

At this stage I still want the spine to be PX2 the leading edge PX1 or PX2, not sure.  

not certain if you read this message: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3572.msg35077#msg35077 but the PX series rods are going away.......make sure to purchase some extra ones!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Jason Winter

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 04:53 PM »

It sounds as though you're more concerned with the cosmetics of the kite than how it will fly. I can understand that. You know SkyShark do a limited number of anti-clockwise wound wrapped spars? (They have to run the machine backwards at the beginning and end to take the tension out) If you were to choose a wrapped spar for the re-frame then make sure you contact SkyShark to get half the spars in this anti-clockwise wrap configuration and that way the kite will be symmetrical too. :-)
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 04:42 AM »

You can always make your own experience, but I can assure you, most, if not all, spar combos have been tried out before the final versions. Good luck.

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document