GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism 4D  (Read 5215 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: July 30, 2010, 04:48 PM »

I've been wondering what folks think about their 4Ds.

Its a fun kite to fly in nearly NO WIND!  It is actually giving my iTrix a run for its money. It is not as slap-me-around happy as the iTrix, but the 4D seems to be more general purpose.

I've really been impressed with some of what I've been able to do with it.  General flying around, axels, fades, landings all easy-peasy better than I expected really.  Flick flacks are doable as well as 540s and slots.  It really is more of an old-school kite, but it does a reasonable set of tricks for such low wind. 

More complex tricks take more care, but they are in there.  It's pretty turtle friendly actually.  I can reliably do snap-lazys, multi-lazys, reversing lazys, kombo landings.  I've even done 2 rungs of a JL on it! but I've got to admit that I really had to work at it.  Smiley  No rollups yet, but I haven't tried very hard - would definitely need to 2 pop it.

It also comes in a pretty slick package - all in a nice case that should easily fit in a suitcase that it just pretty cool looking.  All in all, I'm happy with the kite.  When there is literally no or next-to-no wind, I fly it and have some fun without too much work or effort.  It has lots of drive and is very easy to keep aloft.

Oh, btw, I played around and found that I prefer the bridle adjusted a bit nose back from the the stock setting.  It gives more feedback on the lines this way and I felt it helped in tricking.  In any case, the bridle is clearly marked and easily adjustable.

6 kite tom
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:48 PM »

Any idea how it fairs as an indoor?

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
tpatter

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:45 PM »

I have not tried it indoor, but have flown it in wind that I couldn't feel, so pretty low.

I was prepared to hate it (I never liked the 3D much), but I just kept having fun!  Smiley

Don't quote me on it, but the low end wind range of the 4D seems to be close to that of the iTrix, its just smoother at rotational stuff (and not as good at things like the half-axel).

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:44 PM »

I had this kite out again today - its the kite I hate to love to fly (no wind)!  The wind had been virtually zero for my last 3 outings and I was certainly happy to have the 4D to keep me flying.  It likes a lighter touch, but you can really trust the kite to move predictably and consistently.

The wind was 0-1.5mph today - you could barely tell what direction it was blowing, but I had the kite on 30' lines and had a ball for a few hours.  Graceful 360s, side-slides, 540s, 540 to fade, backspins (now), axels, helicopters, pancake to fade - all the old school stuff.  Its a fun kite for no wind - all this and I did not break a sweat.  It does combos well too - very easy going and predictable in light wind.  The 540 to fade to 540 is solid. 

I wish that I still had my Ozone so that I could compare them, but the 4D certainly seems like it goes lower and tricks better from what I recall.

It's a kite that truly loves to fly - very floaty and amazing drive in the lightest (near zero) of wind. 

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:18 AM »

Hey Tom,
I hate to say it, but I think the 4D is easier to fly & trick in nothing than the Ozone. My Ozone was broken in the hands of a new pilot, so I've been stuck with the 4D lately. I was just out this weekend, flying on the village green in my town. I had the 4D on 30' lines, and the Tattoo on 50' lines, switching back & forth. The 4D makes the Tattoo feel heavy... really heavy.
It's probably the light touch thing, but I can't get too many tricks out of the 4D, but it does get flying in small spaces with little to no wind. It was perfect for the village green, because there's not much room to move around, and the wind was minimal and unpredictable.
Well, looking forward to some video from some more skilled pilots, but this is what I came up with a few weeks ago.
~Rob.

Flying the Prism 4D... the extended cut...

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:25 AM »

Nice video.  Being new and with nobody here by me, thanks for being in the shot some.  It's nice to see the user working their lines and tricks to give me more understanding on the handling and movements for my kites..
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:59 AM »

Nice vid tom!

I hate to say it but I didn't like the kite indoors. Call me weird, but I prefer a PDSUL to anything indoors.

The kite is a trick monster, yes, but I didn't feel at home when flying it. It still seemed squirrily to me, so I sold mine. Those small kites like that really aren't my 'cup of tea', with the exception of the Inak.

The kite'll trick well, and'll do a sweet commete when you work at it. I'm not sure the kites to happy when it's doing it, but it didn't break so I kept doing it. Looks pretty good after awhile when you get used to it. JL's are pretty nice too. The one time I tried a Multilazy and the kite seemed happy. I still think if the kite was a bit bigger I'd like it more, but to each is own.  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:44 AM »

I am willing to bet that this is the Tom I met at Kite hill a couple weeks ago at kite hill..?? Glad to hear you are happy with the 4d I saw ya flying.

anyway,

Hope to run into ya again sometime when I have a non-broken kite and possibly one to fly in the low wind with ya  Smiley

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
tpatter

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:28 PM »

Shane,

Great to see you again tonight Shane - it was me that you met some time ago. Welcome to flying, I think I can see that you are hooked already!  Smiley

The way I look at it, it's a noble pursuit - you are outside, get some sun, some exercise, and once in while you meet some interesting folks such as yourself.

Also glad that you found your way here - its the best kiting forum that I have yet run across.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document