GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 11:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Time Out  (Read 2062 times)
quintum
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 30, 2010, 06:41 AM »

Hi folks, first post

I took my new Quantum out for the first time in 11mph winds, never stunted before although I've flown single lines for years.  I've read all the material on the net and have the Prism video too. 

Anyway, first time up was no problem, and I got it to do some turns and stay in the sky for a while, very exciting, at least for me for the minute I had it going.  Next few times however it flew up to about 10ft, then went flat and lawn darted, each time the same way. 

Could anyone help me figure out why, (other than because I can't fly a kite)?  I'm in Madison, Wi, where one can expect some gusts, was what happened, or was it because I didn't step back immediately as I was launching? I feel I have to analyze every flight at this point because I'm doing this by myself.  Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, if anyone knows any kite people in my city I could hook up with it would be great. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:35 PM by chilese » Logged
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04 AM »

Congrats on your first time Wink

Sounds something like my first kite flying experience, flew up 10 ft and constant nose dive. 
Anyway, check the following:

Check the bridle, make sure the two side measure the same.  Dont worry too much about "factory proper" at this time, just make sure they are the same on both sides. 

Check the lines. If you got new lines with the kite and this is the first use, one line might have stretched a bit and are now uneven, or they were never even to start with. 

Also when you assemble the kite for flight at the field, make sure the bridle is not on the wrong side of the lower spreaders etc.  Caught myself doing this one reacently.  Embarrassed

good luck and let us know if things get worked out.
jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
skabt

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:47 AM »

Congrats on your first time Wink

Sounds something like my first kite flying experience, flew up 10 ft and constant nose dive. 
Anyway, check the following:

Check the bridle, make sure the two side measure the same.  Dont worry too much about "factory proper" at this time, just make sure they are the same on both sides. 

Check the lines. If you got new lines with the kite and this is the first use, one line might have stretched a bit and are now uneven, or they were never even to start with. 

Also when you assemble the kite for flight at the field, make sure the bridle is not on the wrong side of the lower spreaders etc.  Caught myself doing this one reacently.  Embarrassed

good luck and let us know if things get worked out.
jim

+ find right wind window Smiley
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:29 PM »

Be sure you have the left line in the left hand and right line in right hand. I've done that a few times after kite set-up or relaunch when not paying attention. Makes for beautiful lawn darts - no skill required for that trick.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
quintum

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:44 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions, hadn't considered the bridle.  One thing I assumed was the kite would show me the edges of the wind window, but that proved difficult and it only started floating when it was almost overhead. 

This stuff is pretty addictive, like I'm not preaching to the choir here.

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57 PM »

I'd agree with lines in the wrong hand or the bridle was twisted/set up wrapped around something. Especially since it was turning quickly in the same direction each time.

I'm making up some wind brakes and can send you some if you'd like. PM me your address and I'll send them your way. I'll make up a set that slides onto the two lower stand offs. They really help with the gusts but don't change the way the kite flies very much.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
quintum

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35 PM »

Cool, thanks, PM sent.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:47 AM »

Keep us posted on your progress.

Bob D.
judemcg

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 02:56 PM »

hiya just joined this site and am looking for a wee bit of help, ive just started kiting again after an absence of 35 years and started loving it all over again. I recently bought a quad kite off ebay, the problem is with the bridle, i dont know if ive put it on wrong or the person that had it has set it up wrong. im new to the quads the kite is a B-square mystery its a german make any help would be greatful when i tried to fly it it felt as if it was wanting to pull itself in to the ground so i really dont know if it's me or the way the bridle is set up cheers jude.

[attachment deleted by admin]
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 04:54 PM »

Not familiar with your particular quad but a few suggestions might help. First, check that your lines are all four the same length after stretching them out - many line sets come with unequal lengths and this can make your first few flights unpleasant at best. Second, make sure the bridle legs all run straight from point to point - not wrapped around each other, spar tips or twisted. Third, measure all legs to ensure that they are symmetrical side to side and any tuning adjustments are the same on both sides. Fourth, maybe look for online info at the maker's web site. Fifth, get out baseball bat and discuss with seller if nothing else works. Welcome back to the air and hope you enjoy your new quad.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:02 AM »

everything bfranz said.

It sounds like you have too much brake but it's hard to say from your description, the first time you fly a quad it seems VERY attracted to the ground  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway lengthen the bottom by attaching to the longest points or shorten the top. Check those line lengths, rotate lines on Quads top to bottom each or every few times you fly, there is more pressure on the tops and they'll stretch more eventually causing too much brake.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum