GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulling Strings @ Shoreline  (Read 1143 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 02, 2010, 01:10 AM »

A few takes from an evening of flying my Talon Standard at my usual stomping grounds. This video nicely illustrates the following aspects:
  • A top-level kite can make you look a much better flier than you actually are.
  • The Jest of Eve Talon combines trickability with a huge amount of precision.
  • Cell phone videos have come a long, long way. But a dedicated camera would still be that nudge better.
  • It was not until I flew one of my older kites that I realized how easily careful kite designs can recover from tip wraps -- and how much I had gotten used to it. I purposely left a few tip wraps in the video to show how most of them can be recovered without a lot of tugging, many even in flight and almost unnoticed. The older (or cheaper) kites invariably need to land.
Thanks to Kris for filming. Great job for a first-timer! Thanks to Mark for making such a gorgeous kite. Thanks to you for watching.

Pulling Strings at Shoreline

Edit: Fixed embedded Youtube video
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:16 AM by JayDee » Logged

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
art
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52 PM »

The quality of the kite is important but dont shorthand your pilot skills, they are top notch. Really enjoyed viewing.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:38 PM »

This a guy I've seen at Shoreline every few months for the past couple of years. Big fun to watch a flyer's progress.

Good work!

But what precision are you referring too? There isn't a straight line or two consecutive turns in there! :-)

Allen, AKA kitehead
JayDee

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57 PM »

@ art: Thanks for the compliment.  I am glad you enjoyed it.  In the end, that's what seems to be the driver behind making so many things like paintings, movies, music, kites and kite videos:  Giving somebody some enjoyment.

@ Allen: It's as big fun to make that progress.  Not sure what you mean about the lack of precision, though.  It's as straight as I can manage, and there are many consecutive turns in more or less rapid succession in the video Wink

Seriously: Even if the video may not show  old-school precision flying, it would look a lot more wobbly with many other kites.  And among the kites I have flown, the Talon is in the top three in the precision score with a clear lead in tricks.  You are still welcome to give the Talon a whirl when we meet the next time.  It's been a few months, hasn't it?

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:07 AM »

Something about that video I truly enjoyed, if you broke it down it would fall on it's face, poor equipment, shaky filming, basic editing, but you caught something with it. Great job, thanks for sharing.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
durangodriftkid

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49 PM »

Even had the girlfriend say she liked it!  I enjoyed your video sir and i like the title  Smiley
especially the POV shots and the "little" guest appearance at the end. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:11 AM by durangodriftkid » Logged
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16 PM »

Even had the girlfriend say she liked it!  I enjoyed your video sir and i like the title  Smiley
especially the POV shots and the "little" guest appearance at the end. 

Thanks! I am glad you and your girlfriend like it.  Kris and I continue polishing our technique for the POV shots without demolishing the camera or causing black eyes Wink

Unfortunately, I screwed up the aspect ratio for the credits in the end. So they extend out of frame when the video is embedded.  Can be viewed fully on YouTube, though.

@ Mike: I am working on the poor equipment bit.  In the end, it is a cell phone video.  And considering that, the image quality is not bad at all.  I just hope better equipment will not make it more difficult to capture that special something.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change