GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New iPods Are Here!  (Read 3588 times)
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: September 02, 2010, 07:13 AM »

It just gets better and better. I am very happy I skipped the last couple of generations on the Nano. I'll find a way to get one of these, eventually:

The Shuffle is back to being what it should have never departed from, IMO:

ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:31 AM »

Beautiful hardware with a perverted software.  Sad
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:52 PM »

I can't imagine I would ever figure out which pocket I left it in. Are they waterproof?

Shocked

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:06 PM »

I have a thing for iPods.  My first was a 2nd gen and I have owned many since then.  Currently I have touch which I love and that new touch looks very nice but ...
My last two iPods (the touch and a 2nd gen nano) both seemed to have quality/durability issues I never experienced with my previous iPods.  Also my touch seems buggy ever since I upgraded to ios 4
I am pretty hooked on the whole iTunes (been using that since before there was a store attached to it)/iPod deal but pretty sure I will look around before I buy another.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29 PM »

I can't imagine I would ever figure out which pocket I left it in. Are they waterproof?

As the synch jack looks unprotected, I am going to guess no to waterproof.

I would expect that it would at least need a gasket cover for that a la Samsung B2100 (see @ 1:50 in the first video).  The Samsung is probably one of the "abused on video" phones in the world as evidenced by the second video.

My GF drowned her last phone so some special shopping was required to find a replacement.  I would love to see an MP3 player that robust without an aftermarket case.

Samsung B2100 Review

ICE AGE - Samsung B2100 - extreme crash test - part 2

ATB,
Sam
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:18 PM »

The mix-making genius is a cool idea. I also like the touch screen concept. But ever since Iíve owned my Ipad I find myself tapping my laptop screen - to no avail. Canít seem to kill my 2nd generation Nano either.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 06:15 PM »

I have had many iPods, including the 160GB we use on road trips.

My biggest annoyance with the Shuffle is that they eliminated the built-in USB for the sake of miniaturization after the 1st generation.

Personally, I think they did that so they could make extra money selling people connector bases or cables when the originals got lost. With the built-in USB you could get a charge from any computer.

Oh, I see they eliminated the 4GB option from the Shuffle. I guess they want you to upgrade to the 8GB Nano if you fill your 2GB model.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:21 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:53 AM »

I've owned the following:

15gb 2nd Gen
30 gb iPod Video (3rd Gen?)
8gb Nano 3rd Gen
1gb Shuffle 2nd Gen

Still own the last three and all have performed flawlessly. The neatest is the Nano. Amazingly small and I use it with a Nike+ module when I'm running to record time, distance, speed, etc. of my workouts. Of course an iPod is almost as essential to me when flying kites as the lineset.  Wink

In reviewing the new Nano more closely it's almost too small and I wonder how difficult it will be to navigate songs without actually looking at the screen. It's only 1.5w x 1.6h. That's crazy small! And it would appear the Shuffle exists as a price point only but to John's point I am curious as to why there is no 4gb model? I would guess it is a reflection of sales of the last gen Shuffle 4gb. Seems the stores I visit rarely stocked the 4gb as was the case with the 2nd gen 2gb Shuffle.

I think before I jump or drop more large hints to the family referencing my upcoming birthday and the need for my daughters to be kind to old people by buying them expensive electronics, Iíll drop by a Best Buy and fondle, er, inspect one then make up my mind.

DWayne

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:29 AM »

My Nano 3rd gen is still my favorite ipod. I got a touch but its too big for an mp3 player and too small for a pda/mid. It only took it 3 or 4 days to make its way into the junk drawer. And the new offerings..............  well I think I 'll just keep my Nano 3g for now.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:23 PM »

Denny ... Consider a trade for that touch?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DWayne

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:27 PM »

Denny ... Consider a trade for that touch?

Yes I would.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56 PM »

T&T ul for itouch?
I was never a fan of itunes
 I have had a couple of sonys that had controls i could work without looking at but still had a display to see what it was playing or could search for, built in usb too. The new nano looks cool enough but i still like the "no look" interface better and how long before it gets scratched up and doesnt work from being in my pocket? 150 for 8 gb is also a bit steep
wife has a touch, just too big for me

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00 PM »

With a family of 5 we've had a bunch of mp3 players over the years. A number of cheap non-Apple (the old Rio was excellent) and the following 'pods:

iPod Mini
1st gen Shuffle x2
1st gen Nano
2nd gen Nano x3
2nd gen Shuffle x2
iPhone 3G
4th gen Nano
iPhone 4

For just playing music I think the 2nd gen Nano is the best player I've owned. The combination of a clear display and a touch wheel makes it useful in my pocket while flying and velcro'd to the dashboard in the car. The touch screen on the iPhone is great for a lot of things but not for flying and driving.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11 AM »

Shocked

I've sent my (2nd gen) shuffle through the washing machine with no ill-effects.  I wouldn't do it on purpose, but I was happy to know it survived an accidental trip.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41 AM »

i had to chuckle...on saturday watched "Book of Eli" with a friend....and Denzel is carrying that first first third ipod that had the round scroll button and the 4 buttons below the screen....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:38 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document