GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 01:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New iPods Are Here!  (Read 3761 times)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 08:44 AM »

i had to chuckle...on saturday watched "Book of Eli" with a friend....and Denzel is carrying that first first ipod that had the round scroll button and the 4 buttons below the screen....

Surprising amount of subtle and not-so-subtle brand placement in that movie.  Some I didn't clue into until months after watching the movie.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:23 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:21 AM »

i had to chuckle...on saturday watched "Book of Eli" with a friend....and Denzel is carrying that first first ipod that had the round scroll button and the 4 buttons below the screen....

That was like the third version.

This was the original clunker:

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 04:39 PM »

That was like the third version.

This was the original clunker:

oof.......i will admit that i got into them late...... Smiley

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 05:40 PM »

Of course, that original "clunker" was the coolest thing at the time. Only 9 years ago.

Like most things Apple it was the combination of software and hardware that made it great. The basic iPod OS was/is an outstanding example of intuitive accessibility.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 06:14 PM »

but.....only 9 years ago....amazing......................................................

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45 AM »

In reviewing the new Nano more closely it's almost too small and I wonder how difficult it will be to navigate songs without actually looking at the screen. It's only 1.5w x 1.6h. That's crazy small! And it would appear the Shuffle exists as a price point only but to John's point I am curious as to why there is no 4gb model? I would guess it is a reflection of sales of the last gen Shuffle 4gb. Seems the stores I visit rarely stocked the 4gb as was the case with the 2nd gen 2gb Shuffle.

I think before I jump or drop more large hints to the family referencing my upcoming birthday and the need for my daughters to be kind to old people by buying them expensive electronics, Iíll drop by a Best Buy and fondle, er, inspect one then make up my mind.
Bringing back an old topic...

This past weekend, while visiting Atlanta, I "elbowed" my way into an Apple store for the sole purpose of fondling these new iPods. I won't deny that I spent a bit of time playing with a MacBook and iPad. Some very cool stuff in those stores!

It appears my fears were correct. The new Nano is too small and by eliminating the "click wheel"  makes it nearly impossible to navigate through songs, artists, playlists, etc. without actually looking at the screen. Maybe I'm wrong but I think one would have to be very good, or lucky, to know exactly where to touch the screen to pause/stop/advance and otherwise navigate in this manner.

Don't get me wrong. It's a very neat device and is really tiny. The screen is incredibly sharp and scrolls just like it's larger, Apple stablemates. But for this user's needs, it just won't do. Whether it be kiting or running, I want to be able to navigate without worry. I believe this is the first time that I've felt Apple lost the plot with an iPod product and won't be surprised if they feel it in their sales numbers.

IMO if they'd just go back to the 3rd gen Nano and bump it to 16 gb that'd be a perfect blend of size for both the unit and memory. But that's just me.

As for the new Shuffle, not much to report other than when depressing the clip to clip it to your shirt, pocket, etc. I can't see how one would do so without hitting the advance song portion of the click wheel. The old Shuffle of a similar layout had the click wheel set to one side eliminating that from happening. Maybe I'm being picky.

So it appears I've saved myself some dough for once.  Kiss

indigo_wolf

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07 PM »

The current batch of upper tier Sony players sport both a touch screen OLED screen as well as edge mounted tactile player controls (same side as the headphone jack even  Huh ).  The middle and lower tiers use only tactile controls on the face of the player.

As someone who controls his player 90-95% of the time without looking at the screen and while the player is still in a belt mounted cell phone case, that's a really appreciated design.  Even the face mounted controls on the lower two tier players are accessible in the belt mounted case even when wearing light gloves.  Woo hoo.

ATB,
Sam

[attachment deleted by admin]
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 01:17 PM »

Far be it for me to put something forward that might be considered commentary but....

What's so wrong about buying something new only after the old one has finally clapped out ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 01:57 PM »

LOVE that tshirt! where do i get that?
i like my older sony, the screen is big enough for me and i dont have to look at it to change songs. I was intrigued by the new apple$  but Randy seem to have confirmed my fears.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sine Metu!
tcope

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 05:04 PM »

Can't tell you how correct that shirt is.

When Apple starts thinking more about the use of the product and less how they look... I'll consider them. Between Ms and Apple I don't know which one locks up their media players more.

My criteria... player needs to have drag and drop and I need to be able to loads songs on it from my HD.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
DWayne

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 08:05 PM »

IMO if they'd just go back to the 3rd gen Nano and bump it to 16 gb that'd be a perfect blend of size for both the unit and memory. But that's just me.

+1

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52 PM »

My criteria... player needs to have drag and drop and I need to be able to loads songs on it from my HD.

I think the older Sony MP3 Players was all tied to an (horrendous) piece software  called Sonic Stage. For years, I avoided the product due to all the online horror stories. Finally about 2 years ago, they dropped that requirement.  I think the software may still be available as an option, but otherise you are free to use drag 'n drop or Windows Media Player.

Now if they would only add an expansion slot that wasn't tied to Memory Sticks.

ATB,
Sam
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17 PM »

Quote from: DD
LOVE that tshirt! where do i get that?

Quote from: tcope
Can't tell you how correct that shirt is.

I couldn't possibly show you a direct link but it is a quote from The Daily Mash. It's like a Scottish version of The Onion - more sweary, more offensive and sometimes difficult to understand. Actually, that works for "a Scottish version of...." virtually everything Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
sbrown

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08 AM »

What's so wrong about buying something new only after the old one has finally clapped out ?
my '05 Creative Zen Micro & MuVo TXFM are still going strong. The Zen Micro lives in my car and the MuVo is for kite flying. NiMH AAA battery powered, so I just swap a fresh one when it goes flat. Drag & drop the day's music in a couple of minutes before I head out.
I don't care if they don't look trendy 'n' hip, they still work perfectly and sound great.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
tcope

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 12:11 AM »

Sansa Rockbox'ed for me (with speech... gotta have speech).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document