GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A mantis or a mamba  (Read 2403 times)
LekeYuk
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 02, 2010, 02:41 PM »

Hello All,

First let me introduce myself. I am a beginner flier with about a year of flying on my wings. I know that sounds like more than a beginner but mostly I have been flying the prism snapshot 1.4. I have pretty darn good control with that and can actually even manager a stall and slide with it. I also have an E3 which I haven't flown quite as much but I can stall, sometimes snap stall, pull of a yo-yo and if i am lucky get it to axel sometimes. I think I am ready to take this more seriously and get a kite that I can really grow and learn with over the years. I travel a bit between the coast and inland locations so I am going to want something that I can fly in a park or on a beach. I am leaning toward Blue Moon Kites since they come so heavily recommended on this forum. I l considered the Exile for a while but I like the idea of a full kite and good precision so that lead me more towards the Mantis. I recently saw that the Mongoose came out and so the real dilemma I am having here is should I buy a brand spanking new Mongoose or build up a set of used Mantises or maybe a combination of the two since the Mongoose only has  a standard version. I have some funds to play with but I definitely could not afford a whole set of new BMKs. OK so hello! anybody with any thoughts or suggestions?
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:47 PM »

You have created a dilemna for anyone, including me, who is about the make a recommendation.  To those who ask, I would highly recommend all three even though it would be impractical to buy one of each, standard, vvented and ul.

These kites, including the new Mongoose and the Exile, are great kites.  Ken, I think, is on the verge of another new kite, the Black Mamba, which is a modernized or tweaked version of his very successful original Mamba.

From what you wrote, I think perhaps the Mantis line-up is what you are looking for and the Mambas are a close second.

Why not give Ken a call, or send an email and explain what you want in a kite.  He will steer you in the  direction you want to go.  My recommendation would be to call him because he says, he can "talk while I work....." 

You will enjoy visiting with him.

Gardner
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13 PM »

Dilemma is the key word here.

The Mantis and Mamba are excellent kites and both have been used in competition. The Mantis is more inclined to do newer type tricks but some will argue the Mamba can hold itís own there as well.

I donít see anything in your request about competing though. If you were flying just for fun my recommendation would be the Exile. The Exile is an excellent kite. Not a full 8ft but it feels full size, does very good precision IMO, and tricks great. The standard flies in pretty low wind. It does pick up speed in around 10mph winds and I have heard some competitors shy away from it in competition for that reason. If competing is your goal you will need a UL, Standard and Vented. If you donít intend to compete then maybe you wonít need all three. Which would then make the Exile an option.

The Mongoose is new and I have not tried it but it sounds pretty inviting, and now the Black Mamba! Choices Ė choices - choices.

In the end Gardnerís advice is spot on. Call Ken. His link is up and to the right on this page (BMK). Great guy, great kites, and great service.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:18 PM »

The Exile is one of the few kites that I regret having sold.  I also liked the Mantis and the Muse - all of his kites are great flyers.

6 kite tom
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08 PM »

I have the prototype mongoose, the 2nd gen proto, and the 1st production mongoose.
If you get a Mongoose, or a Mamba, you'll be set. Dont let the mamba fool you, its as capable as any other kite.

Both are a SWEET deal.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55 PM »

Flew my Mamba today. It has been learning tricks again from the other kites in my bag. Very capable indeed.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:41 AM »

I never should have started reading this thread. I want to learn to be a better pilot so I've been concentrating on flying my Nirvanas because they're so neutral - they don't give tricks away. I love my Exile though when the wind is lighter. I can't do 540s (or rarely) with my Nirvanas but the Exile gives them away. Now I'm reading about the Mamba and the Mongoose. I can't collect any more kites!

Bob D.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:22 AM »

I've been concentrating on flying my Nirvanas because they're so neutral - they don't give tricks away.
Huh

What kind of N are you flying? Mine handed out tricks all the time. (?)

Leke,  I responded to your message on the BMK place. You should have a new response in your inbox.  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
LekeYuk

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:40 PM »

Just Picked up the Mamba Paul had listed we will see how that goes =)
glider

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:17 PM »

The Mantis is in my A-bag always.  I just picked up the Mantis UL and Muse from Paul.  The Mantis seems to fly the way I like to fly.  I have dozens of other kites including Sea Devils, Fearless, Talon, Deep Space, JJF, etc. etc.  The Mantis is the one that clicks for me mostly.  (Except for pitchy tricks when the Talon seems to be a winner)

I like my Mamba but I find the tricks a little harder to come by.  My Exile isn't flying quite right yet for me; I need to add some tail weight.

What is it about Ken's kites that makes the fly so differently?  The only kites that seem to rival the feel of a BMK for me are Aerostars.

@ Leke:  One of the Mantis or Muse kites that Paul just had up for sale in the swap here would have been a great snag.  If you see another one of those come up here grab it.  Then maybe later invest in a brand spanking new Mongoose with a different wind rating later on.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:35 AM »

Just Picked up the Mamba Paul had listed we will see how that goes =)

Great choice ... although from your list you couldn't have made a bad choice  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stapp59
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04 AM »

The Mantis is in my A-bag always.  I just picked up the Mantis UL and Muse from Paul.  The Mantis seems to fly the way I like to fly.  I have dozens of other kites including Sea Devils, Fearless, Talon, Deep Space, JJF, etc. etc.  The Mantis is the one that clicks for me mostly.  (Except for pitchy tricks when the Talon seems to be a winner)

I like my Mamba but I find the tricks a little harder to come by.  My Exile isn't flying quite right yet for me; I need to add some tail weight.

What is it about Ken's kites that makes the fly so differently?  The only kites that seem to rival the feel of a BMK for me are Aerostars.

Interesting observation glider.  After several years building a kite collection, 50% of mine are Blue Moon, 25% Aerostar, and the rest Revs, SLKs and a few other dualies for comparison purposes. 

While ALL the Blue Moons are nice kites, the Mongoose is one of the best overall kites I've flown.  Big, precise, tricks well, wide wind range, good speed control....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:12 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document