GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was flying my kite at very strong wind today...  (Read 2395 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: September 03, 2010, 05:50 PM »

I estimated the was gust is around 35km+ or even 40km.  My F kite has 3pt lower spreaders and 4mm(F SUL) upper spreader.  I'm using my beat-up Climax Protec flying lines(55Kg./100ft.). The kite was in the middle of the wind window at around 45 degree to me.  I was like standing 45 degree to the ground fighting the strong gusting wind and suddenly right side flying line snap on the sleeving area near the kite and then the left bridle line got disconnected .  I immediately fell to my back and did 2 rolls.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Very very funny.  Luckily I was on thick grass and nobody is watching.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:52 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:52 PM »

Here we go again.  Roll Eyes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:14 PM »

20+ on a PT3. That borders on kite abuse. Where are the kite police? Lips sealed
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:35 PM »

Where are the kite police? Lips sealed
They've passed this one over to the Mythbusters.

55kg. line, human body supported at 45.....  anyone got a calculator ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43 PM »

Congrats on the double yoyo!  Smiley   but..........try it on the kite next time.   Cheesy

I think we've all been somewhere near there - old lines, wind comes up, stay with the same kite, the inevitable happens.

I assume you were flying the fearless vented light, not the sul in 20mph?  I've taken the SUL to 10 or so, but 20, thats some serious wind for an SUL.

-Tom

6 kite tom
cids

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 06:13 AM »

I assume you were flying the fearless vented light, not the sul in 20mph?
It is the Fearless STD.

Congrats on the double yoyo!
Yes, I did the first kite related human double yoyo in history.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:27 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:42 AM »

I don't know, I worry about my Fearless VL when the wind goes up around 20mph, it can take it, but it seems like it's under alot of stress.

I've had one of the lines on my 1.8 meter foil snap in 25mph winds... sent me rolling back on my butt... laughing 'til my sides hurt ! I'm sure if anyone saw it, I'm sure it was even funnier to them...  Cheesy

zippy8

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:39 AM »

It is the Fearless STD.
By what surreal set of definitions is a kite that "has 3pt lower spreaders and 4mm upper spreader" remotely considered "standard" ?  Embarrassed

Mike.

rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:23 AM »

It is the Fearless STD.
By what surreal set of definitions is a kite that "has 3pt lower spreaders and 4mm upper spreader" remotely considered "standard" ?  Embarrassed

Mike.

5PT Leading Edges....
Rx
cids

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46 AM »

It is the Fearless STD.

Mike.

The kite is the regular F STD to start with but I'm using 3PT LS and 4mm pultruded carbon tube as US(same size US used in F SUL).  The leading edges are still 5PT.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:21 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26 AM »

I think Lam supplies the kite with 5PT's and a 3PT option or both, guess you might call that a standard light? You're lucky you only broke a line and bruised your bum. Glad you had fun though  Roll Eyes

Now invest in some 5 or 7PT's and windscreens or set up the video camera next time so we can all see  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:57 PM »

i had a standard Ocius in 20-27 mph MEASURED winds yesterday Shocked
at the very edge of the window

Sine Metu!
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 03:06 AM »

It was only by sheer luck that the kite did not explode.  It's a pity, but this will surely go down as further evidence of the superiority of the design in Cid's book. 

One main question regarding the pull...how much do you weigh?  Even my XTs doesn't pull hard enough for me to lean too much into any flight path, and when it does, it seriously deforms under the strain.  This is all at winds WAY under 35kmph.  I am SURE if I flew it in 35kmph, it would break something.  I am certain of that.  I thought that Lam's kites didn't pull too hard at all as default.  Certainly the SD didn't. 

My follow up questions include:

1.  What tricks if any were you pulling off in this wind?
2.  Specifically, how does the kite half axel in this wind?
3.  Can you backspin near the middle of the window in this wind, or only at the very corners?
4.  How are the 2 point landings in this wind?
5.  Multilazies?

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
in.divi.dual
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18 AM »

It was only by sheer luck that the kite did not explode.  It's a pity, but this will surely go down as further evidence of the superiority of the design in Cid's book. 

Ssssshhh ! I'm hoping his kite does explode and that'd be an end to all his nonsense.  Cheesy Grin Wink Tongue Cool Shocked
zippy8

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:33 AM »

It was only by sheer luck that the kite did not explode.

Why do you say that ? According to the kite maker himself the Fearless Standard "fly from 3 to 25 + Mph and enjoy the high wind condition" and even when.... personalised... with Light lower spreaders and SUL upper spreader it should be much as the Light which similarly "fly from 3 to 25 + mph in high wind this kite will go little faster".

35 to 40 km/h is only 22 to 25 mph. All I get from this is that he had some substandard lines and an inner ear problem (or was standing on a steep slope). Did I miss something else ?

Mike.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum